4 offers on the table for a striker | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

4 offers on the table for a striker

Mar 21, 2008
Knibbsworth":y7mb3k97 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":y7mb3k97 said:
Lambert's name mentioned again!! Just not sure what reality some fans are in, that say they support Argyle. It is way to expense for us to afford his wages. Even at the age of 35+.

I swear that some people must bury their head in the sand when supporting Argyle because your expections don't match up with the reality our club find themselves currently in.

Lambert doesn't exactly seem flush with offers himself at the moment.

He's 35 and clearly on the decline from his Cardiff City spell. If he drops a division there are only a few bigger clubs at this level who are more likely to afford him than us.

That would be assuming that the size of the club directly correlates with the budget though, and it doesn't. A few days ago Adams did an article on the baggo called 'under scrutiny' where he says he would like the budgets of every club to be broadcast before the start of the season so that everyone knows which managers are getting the most out of what they've got, he then goes on to say that he works under very tight restrictions as the club is operating at a profit currently whereas other clubs have benefactors that allow them to essentially spend a lot more money than they have

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I wonder whether one of the four might be last year's Young Player of the Season, Paul Arnold Garita. Bristol City have signed a Senegalese striker for £5.3m and are reported to be interested in Isaac Vassell for £1m+. It's hard to see how Garita fits in there, Adams knows all about him, he'd fit straight in etc. Or is he injured?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Isaac Vassel attracting early attention from championship clubs.

Shane we aren't more patient with younger players

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Tugboat":30q04fia said:

I think we need to put aside that Vassell was previously a youngster at Argyle but take note that it is possible to sign a young striker from a non-league club for next to nothing and in one season (less even?) have them touted as a £1m+ Championship signing. I noticed that Peterborough just signed a 17 year old striker called Kanu from Aldershot Town on a 3 year deal.

You could say that Blissett is this kind of signing although he is a bit older.

For a club Luke Argyle, the root to success with strikers is likely to be looking at signings from non-league teams. Anyone who is already showing their potential, even at League 2 level, is probably outside our financial capability.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I still struggle to see why we have left it so late to get a striker in. I get the idea that a loan deal brings its own problems with regards to the parent club having the overall decision in letting the deal happen but we should have complemented our existing forwards with a loan addition, not have 1fully fit striker on the books with Blisset as back up needing to chase our tails in getting another player in.

We managed to fill all the other player positions in relatively quickly and efficiently so why so late in the day for a striker?

We need at least 1 in ideally on a permenant deal and then a loan addition as another option.

Nov 2, 2004
Strikers are in demand and I would doubt we have a lot of money left in the kitty.The Taylor injury could be a real problem,it may mean we need two strikers unless a youngster can step up.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Tugboat":2o7eg7d2 said:

From what I heard, there was no problem with Vassel's footballing skill, but he had an attitude problem in his younger years. If a poor attitude rubs off on his fellow young players, it is like a bad apple in a barrel. I am pleased he seems to be currently making a successful career with Luton, just disappointed it did not come forth earlier in his life.

Aug 7, 2008
Devon
Frustrates me so much that teams like Peterborough time after time buy prolific non-league Strikers and then sell them on for good money. Why don't we ever do this??

Feb 14, 2015
Falmouth, Cornwall
The Doctor":x6ayugg7 said:
I wonder whether one of the four might be last year's Young Player of the Season, Paul Arnold Garita. Bristol City have signed a Senegalese striker for £5.3m and are reported to be interested in Isaac Vassell for £1m+. It's hard to see how Garita fits in there, Adams knows all about him, he'd fit straight in etc. Or is he injured?
Please god no

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
Tugboat":j5suv4xy said:
We need at least 1 in ideally on a permenant deal and then a loan addition as another option.

This. We ideally need the options that two new forwards would give us. An experienced target man plus a young, speedy loanee from a Prem or Championship club.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Euanargyle":3f73165l said:
The Doctor":3f73165l said:
Please god no

I echo that sentiment.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Metal_Green_Mickey":31ak1r1k said:
Lambert's name mentioned again!! Just not sure what reality some fans are in, that say they support Argyle. It is way to expense for us to afford his wages. Even at the age of 35+.

I swear that some people must bury their head in the sand when supporting Argyle because your expections don't match up with the reality our club find themselves currently in.

And I'm sure Billericay fans weren't expecting their club to sign Jermaine Pennant this season. Even with a rich sugar-daddy bank-rolling their club, Pennant would have taken a massive cut in wages to play for them. Given the state of modern football, nothing surprises me anymore.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
VerdeMax":2dov0v60 said:
Frustrates me so much that teams like Peterborough time after time buy prolific non-league Strikers and then sell them on for good money. Why don't we ever do this??

I think you answered your own question, "Buy"

Its true we paid £15k (?, its reported,) for Blissett, but that is clearly the exception rather than a rule.

It is also clear goalscoring strikers at any level, demand the best contracts and transfer fees. We just do not appear to be in that same market. That is the reality of our club at this time.

Derek Adams has to date signed otherwise ordinary players and moulded them into an effective team. It is to be hoped this skill is repeated in his search for a goalscorer or 2.