4 offers on the table for a striker | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

4 offers on the table for a striker

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Pilgrimfather":1v0i0dd4 said:
League 2 Swindon have just signed Kaiyne Woolery for £350k. The only striker we have bought in the last six years or so is Nathan Blissett for £15k. Surely a decent striker is worth a decent investment? Goals and wins puts 'bums on seats' and last season could have been so much better with a proper striker up front - we may not have fallen short on goal difference on the final day.
I'm just getting more and more frustrated at the seemingly lack of ambition at Argyle and our bargain basement approach to key player positions.
A decent striker should get a cash return if it doesn't work out. No need to invest beyond our means, but let's have someone to light up our season up front.
We also need to learn how to consolidate for more than 2-3 minutes in a match.

As (if) we progress that frustration and pressure on the club will grow. If we don't progress it will probably grow even stonger. There are downsides though - a £350k striker will come with wages to match. That not only upsets the wage structure but also risks upsetting other players. It needs careful consideration even if we could afford it.

In general, there's far too much panic in the rank and file at the moment. One league defeat in which we reportedly showed up well, and an exit from what has been turned in to a reserves Cup competition. The 1st September is the earliest point at which to judge the squad with any reason.

Jul 30, 2015
Plymouth
Pilgrimfather":1mb89d35 said:
League 2 Swindon have just signed Kaiyne Woolery for £350k. The only striker we have bought in the last six years or so is Nathan Blissett for £15k. Surely a decent striker is worth a decent investment? Goals and wins puts 'bums on seats' and last season could have been so much better with a proper striker up front - we may not have fallen short on goal difference on the final day.
I'm just getting more and more frustrated at the seemingly lack of ambition at Argyle and our bargain basement approach to key player positions.
A decent striker should get a cash return if it doesn't work out. No need to invest beyond our means, but let's have someone to light up our season up front.

I think if we spent £350k on a striker with not much of a goal scoring record to shout about people on here would be up in arms! Not saying that's right but it's about getting the balance and finding the player(s) that's right for the right price.

G

Greenskin

Pilgrimfather":2c8w418u said:

Certainly begs the question as to why a club which almost certainly will be in the divisional top 6 as far as gates are concerned and which has taken onboard considerable income from other sources in recent times should apparently be scrambling around looking for a decent striker even before the sad injury to Taylor.

Jul 29, 2010
Because Greenskin we're being prudent and other clubs aren't, they are being desperate we're keeping our heads.

Sustainability comes first. As the poster before you alluded to, the way forward is to get the right player at the right price, a price we can afford This manager has been able to deliver success under this policy and long may it continue. There's no need to rip up the policy.

Jul 12, 2016
X Isle not sure what planet you are on. I am not advocating spending a huge amount of money but spending it wisely. Goals win games but we seem to concentrate on getting players for every position other than striker.As is often said we are all entitled to an opinion and mine is that a goal scorer should be a priority Surely DA has been manager long enough now to find one.

Jul 29, 2010
oldage":2rpffmsq said:
X Isle not sure what planet you are on. I am not advocating spending a huge amount of money but spending it wisely. Goals win games but we seem to concentrate on getting players for every position other than striker.As is often said we are all entitled to an opinion and mine is that a goal scorer should be a priority Surely DA has been manager long enough now to find one.
Planet Earth.

I shall remind you what you said...

"Although nobody wants us to overstretch our finances surely a proven goal poacher is essential and would hopefully increase attendances." That is a clear statement of spending what we don't have in the HOPE of getting something back with increased revenue. That doesn't work in Plymouth, they don't come and even if they did they'd leave soon afterwards.

I will further remind you that you said that in the context of agreeing with a poster who was also trotting out the old "speculate to accumulate" line together with expressing 'frustration with a lack of ambition'. A frustration I do not share.

For me, and thankfully it seems Argyle, the primary ambition is sustainability. Long may that continue, if the money isn't there then the impatient set will just have to suck up their frustrations. And even if there is money to be spent, paying over the odds for the sake of expedience is not a route I and thankfully they wish to go down either.

It doesn't have to be a "huge amount of money" to take us into the red, and once there it's hard to get back.

Jul 29, 2010
loyal1970":2qppxofj said:
but we do have a fantastic training pitch.
Which is investment in permanent infrastructure that will offer a return over a number of years. Well done Argyle :thumbup:

Are you suggesting they should've spent that money on a player and his wages for 1-2 years so he and all his teammates can train on a substandard surface?

Why don't we just sell Home Park and play at Marjons with a £5m striker :roll:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
loyal1970":14ffnx83 said:
but we do have a fantastic training pitch.

I hope that wasn't meant to be sarcastic*. The training pitches at Harpers Park were a disgrace and this was a crucial and very welcome bit of investment.

*Apologies if not :greensmile:

Jun 28, 2015
Get John Akinde in and another Prem/Championship loanee striker in. Unfortuantely, the people who say wait until September to judge are missing the point. In todays market you cannot just watch other clubs snap up the talent, you have to act quickly and decisively. Else, come September the 1st we'll be scracthing our heads at who we can sign on a long-shot loan deal which may or may not be a choice that DA would like.