AFC Wimbledon match thread | Page 19 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

AFC Wimbledon match thread

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Dorset Pilgrim":27nm8t6d said:
Easy to pick holes in Michael Cooper's position for the free-kick however it couldn't have been in a better position for the striker.

:iagree:

Had Cooper been further across his goal the scorer would just have whacked the free kick into the opposite side. Then everyone would be saying what was the keeper doing covering the side of the goal the wall was supposed to defend?
As DP said, the free kick was in just about the ideal spot to have a pop from. The commentary team were saying so well before the kick was taken.
I still have confidence in Cooper. He's still young and will improve as he gets more games under his belt.

RKB

ā™£ļø PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
Yet another pulsating, heart-in-the-mouth Argyle match. I've watched all 5 games so far, and each one of them has been hugely entertaining, and has lifted my spirits. Even with the result not going our way on 2 occasions, our attacking play at times is a joy to watch, with Mayor, Cooper and Hardie at the forefront.
Defensively so far, it has been shambolic. On a different afternoon, Blackpool would have scored 3 or 4 last Saturday.
But, I believe we will get it right at the back as these players adjust to the pace and quality in League 1. I believe all 5 of our centre back options, and our goalkeeper, are good enough. The settled back 3 of last season has been broken up, and Aimson, Wootton/Canavan and Watts will build an understanding over time.
We might get hammered a couple of times before this, but that will not stop me believing and supporting these players through.
As for today, yes it was a dreadful defensive performance and at 2-4 I thought we were dead and buried. But the way we came roaring back was sensational, and we really should have won it with Telford's header at the death. It is so unlike Argyle to recover from that position away from home, and that is hugely refreshing.
In Ryan we trust.

M.Cooper 5
Aimson 5
Wootton 5 (Canavan 7)
Watts 5
McLeod 7
Edwards 5 (Moore 7)
Grant 8
Mayor 7
G.Cooper 7
Hardie 7 (Telford 7)
Nouble (4 for the first 70 minutes, 7 for the last 20)

May 26, 2015
OMG just seen Sky highlights and Mike Cooper has had another nightmare, particularly for the second and third goals. I do not like criticising our own players, but he is not ready for League 1. We need another keeper because Ruddy looked far from ideal against Norwich and McCormick is past it. Why oh why did Lowe not sign up Palmer?

Jan 27, 2012
In my opinion, Argyle need a quality central defender- someone like Zac Vyner- who is quick and comfortable in posession. Maybe there is still scope for another loan ?

The defence has been poor for 3 seasons. I think the excellent form of Alex Palmer last season made our defence look better than it really was. He was a strong candidate for player of the season which tells a story. Now Argyle are in a higher division and have a rookie goalkeeper, its little surprise they have conceed so many.

If i have a criticism of Lowe it is that he seems a bit naive when it comes to defence. I don't like this idea of passing it around in our own penalty box (especially with the standard of players we have back there) and his tactics, whilst exciting to watch, expose our already dodgy defence.

Great fightback today, but If the team keep shipping goals like this it doesnt bode well- despite picking up 4 points so far.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
gaspargomez":3hga5d4q said:
In my opinion, Argyle need a quality central defender- someone like Zac Vyner- who is quick and comfortable in posession. Maybe there is still scope for another loan ?

The defence has been poor for 3 seasons. I think the excellent form of Alex Palmer last season made our defence look better than it really was. He was a strong candidate for player of the season which tells a story. Now Argyle are in a higher division and have a rookie goalkeeper, its little surprise they have conceed so many.

If i have a criticism of Lowe it is that he seems a bit naive when it comes to defence. I don't like this idea of passing it around in our own penalty box (especially with the standard of players we have back there) and his tactics, whilst exciting to watch, expose our already dodgy defence.

Great fightback today, but If the team keep shipping goals like this it doesnt bode well- despite picking up 4 points so far.

The defence had the most clean sheets in League Two last season.
I think the problem is that when we do concede it's not just one goal, it's usually two or more.
So the pattern is either a clean sheet or we ship two or more goals, as seen already this season.

Sep 6, 2006
RochdaleGreen":3f2zqqbb said:
OMG just seen Sky highlights and Mike Cooper has had another nightmare, particularly for the second and third goals. I do not like criticising our own players, but he is not ready for League 1. We need another keeper because Ruddy looked far from ideal against Norwich and McCormick is past it. Why oh why did Lowe not sign up Palmer?

If you are blaming Cooper for the free kick you dont know much. What did you expect him to do? Stand behind the wall?Sometimes you just have to accept the free kick is too good. What you should have focused on is how we gave a free kick away in the first place. Sloppy challenge by Grant.
However we cannot afford to have 2 rookies in our defence learning the trade especially the way Lowe plays and in a step up from last season. I don't rate Watts. Played for Stevenage last season :facepalm: .Went missing for their first goal and Orient's equaliser on Tuesday. Surely you play your more experienced defenders.

Sep 6, 2006
PL2 3DQ":307yat9s said:
gaspargomez":307yat9s said:

The defence had the most clean sheets in League Two last season.
I think the problem is that when we do concede it's not just one goal, it's usually two or more.
So the pattern is either a clean sheet or we ship two or more goals, as seen already this season.

2 or more goals in EVERY game except one when Cooper was MOM.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
We have conceded 7 goals in the last 5 days and it seems that a lot of supporters appear to be questioning our young keeper.

I suggest that, if we analyse those goals, none can be directly attributable to mistakes by Mike Cooper.

Certainly, most can be blamed on defensive mistakes and Mike is part of our defence but, when analysing the mistakes, I am sure that Wootton, Aimson and Watts would accept blame for at least 3 of the goals conceded and 3 of the others were caused by forwards or midfielders trying, not very successfully, to help out in defence.

As far as the direct free kick is concerned, a wall is set up to block one side of the goal leaving the keeper to control the the other side. It was an excellent well directed free kick but only one defender in the block jumped to try to divert the free kick.

Many Premier League keepers would not have stopped that shot.

Apr 1, 2009
Metal_Green_Mickey":1hkhzb76 said:
I honestly feel sorry for Scott Wootton. He is an unbelievable 100% effort player. Iā€™ve never questioned his commitment or attitude to the cause.

The issue is he simply isnā€™t good enough for a league 1 team who play this open. He is an experienced professional who unfortunately keeps on making mistakes.

You need to be able to anticipate and read the game. He switches off and you get more punished at this level.

It worries me Lowe may think we can get through the season without adding a much better CB to what we currently have.

What l will say though is please give the youngsters a chance. Itā€™s a totally different scenario.

Cooper saved us last week and now people questioning him for a number of goals. He will have performances where he will make mistakes and the GK position is one unfortunately you just donā€™t get away with it. Yet we only 2 league games into the season and this canā€™t do anything for his confidence. He needs games and he needs a run in the side. We arenā€™t talking about an experienced pro here.

The same applies to Kelland Watts. Iā€™m wondering how many times he has played in an exposed back 3. He hasnā€™t played at this level before and he needs time and patience so he can adjust to the standard of football but also our system. The only way you learn is by playing. Unfortunately, you going to make mistakes but hopefully those mistakes over the coming months will decrease.

Really don't know what you're saying about Wootton.

Firstly it should not be unbelievable when any player gives 100% effort. Ideally it should be the norm.

Secondly, part of the effort a player makes is a mental one, particularly with concentration. You applaud Wootton's effort, but then admit that he's an experienced pro who keeps making mistakes (IMO similar mistakes), and who "switches off". Evidently his concentration, part of his mental effort, is not what it should be, and certainly not "unbelievable".

Apr 1, 2009
freddie2greens":kal371qz said:
Going forward we are very good, defensively we are very bad which is stating the bleeding obvious. I dont blame Cooper for today apart from the free kick where his positioning was terrible but he has been exposed by some really bad defensive errors. He will come good when he has a bit more confidence in his defence and I think that Lloyd jones could be a good option if available as someone else said. My back 3/5 would be g.cooper, aims, watts, canavan and b.moore and I would replace canavan with jones if available.

Why are people banging on about Lloyd Jones again? We had a poor defence in L1 two seasons ago, and Jones did not significantly improve it during his late season loan which culminated in the Accrington debacle and relegation. Yet some seem to want to reunite that defence. If it wasn't for the Plymouth/Argyle connection, no one would be talking about Jones - it doesn't appear that other clubs are scrambling for his signature. If we do bring someone in, it has to be someone who will significantly improve us.

On the subject of bringing more players in, it's a little alarming that so many on this thread are demanding that the club sign another goalkeeper, or another defender, or both. Alarming because so many seem to be forgetting that the club is missing out on several of its regular income streams (POTD, hospitality, non-matchday income etc), and yet expect further signings. Lowe has been allowed to sign 8 or 9 players this summer including paying a fee for G Cooper, and at some point he has to work with what he has got. It's simply not realistic to expect the club to go into the market every time there appears to be a hole in the squad.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
WoodsyGreen":vfoxg1b7 said:
Biggs":vfoxg1b7 said:
Talking about Palmer is pointless, I would hope and expect Cooper to have a better career than AP

What is that based on exactly? Palmer is contracted to a Premier League club, was the best keeper in League Two last season and an integral part of a promoted side.

Hope, yes, but expect? That's bold.

Ok Iā€™d downgrade it from ā€˜expectā€™ as I havenā€™t seen enough of him and donā€™t know enough about goalkeeping. But to me, Cooper may have better natural ability (reflexes, shotstopping ability etc), is definitely better with the ball at his feet and general distribution (huge for top clubs) and it seems like anyone whoā€™s worked with him sees him going right to the top.

Iā€™d take current Palmer over current Cooper, but Iā€™d bet that Cooper is at a higher level in 5 years... hopefully with us.

Jul 6, 2011
RochdaleGreen":yewu9z16 said:

Oh God! people forget some of Palmers early last season performances before the great comeback and he had a seasoned professional in Gary Sawyer in front of him, protecting him.
It has to be noted that Canavans presence provided the stability in defence that Cooper needed.

Sep 18, 2010
Palmer was outstanding for us last season. Great command of his box, superb range of distribution and excellent shot stopper - all the reasons why he has been with a Premier league club for so long. Also the reason why he was in last seasonā€™s League 2 team of the year and finally why he has been one of the best Argyle keepers ever.

Jul 12, 2016
Koala Green":3qut9r9w said:
Shm":3qut9r9w said:
Jakepafc":3qut9r9w said:
After that game Iā€™ve came to a conclusion, Mike Cooper isnā€™t ready for league one football and are defence are still defending like they did when they was in league one last time. Need a leader in defence and a goalkeeper who can position himself correctly, 6 goals in two games is not acceptable at this level, we will be struggling this season if we are playing like this at the back

100% agree he's not ready for this league, not getting Palmer back is biting us on the arse!

Disagree, last week all fans said he looked the finished article was man of the match. At Orient he also played well and made some vital stops. Yes today a couple of goals could be attributed to him but this is the learning curve he is on as a young keeper playing week in week out. We all need to calm down and not look at one game and make knee-jerk decisions. A young keeper who came through the ranks needs fan support and patience this season.

In the last two weeks for Argyle we seem to be jumping from one extreme view of a player to another extreme view. Cooper has gone from 5m pound keeper to zero, Nouble in the space of even this afternoon went from villain to hero! Conor Grant was an outcast two weeks ago and now is Man of the Match. Aimson was lauded last week and now makes an error and is now awful. I think we all need to let the season settle down for 10-15 games and then judge and enjoy the ride and lots of goals!
Well said. Early days and too soon to drop players. However most fans have concerns about our defence because it is not a new problem. Who is our defensive coach?

Jul 12, 2016
xmastree":iw5fa2qr said:
freddie2greens":iw5fa2qr said:
Going forward we are very good, defensively we are very bad which is stating the bleeding obvious. I dont blame Cooper for today apart from the free kick where his positioning was terrible but he has been exposed by some really bad defensive errors. He will come good when he has a bit more confidence in his defence and I think that Lloyd jones could be a good option if available as someone else said. My back 3/5 would be g.cooper, aims, watts, canavan and b.moore and I would replace canavan with jones if available.

Why are people banging on about Lloyd Jones again? We had a poor defence in L1 two seasons ago, and Jones did not significantly improve it during his late season loan which culminated in the Accrington debacle and relegation. Yet some seem to want to reunite that defence. If it wasn't for the Plymouth/Argyle connection, no one would be talking about Jones - it doesn't appear that other clubs are scrambling for his signature. If we do bring someone in, it has to be someone who will significantly improve us.

On the subject of bringing more players in, it's a little alarming that so many on this thread are demanding that the club sign another goalkeeper, or another defender, or both. Alarming because so many seem to be forgetting that the club is missing out on several of its regular income streams (POTD, hospitality, non-matchday income etc), and yet expect further signings. Lowe has been allowed to sign 8 or 9 players this summer including paying a fee for G Cooper, and at some point he has to work with what he has got. It's simply not realistic to expect the club to go into the market every time there appears to be a hole in the squad.
I agree