Alex Fletcher leaving. | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Alex Fletcher leaving.

Jimmyd

✅ Evergreen
♣️ SWAG Member
Jan 3, 2009
briangreen":3cknlr95 said:
A good player who was not given real opportunities, for me like Harvey and Alex Battle. I reckon he will come back and bite us one day. No one can score 2 goals against a Chelsea team filled with future (now) premier and international standard players and not be up to the level, that's ridiculous thinking.

Neither Harvey or Battle have gone on to prove Argyle wrong (stood next to Harvey's Dad once, he thought the whole world was against them)

I wish Fletcher the best of luck, i like him. My cousin who plays for Tiverton speaks very highly of him

C

Cult Of Personality

davie nine":342qgiiq said:
Cult Of Personality":342qgiiq said:
Shame about Fletcher when he came on last season at Stanley he looked like the only player who gave a dam. And went onto to score.

But he was a bit to small for the football league. I think you will probably see him at Parkway in a years
He came on as a sub for Ryan Taylor in the 85th minute. Our goal was an own goal although the defender was possibly under pressure from Alex.

And with 5 mins he put more effort then any of the team did on that day.

But anways Good luck to the guy

Feb 28, 2016
Jimmyd":11jzz7gl said:
briangreen":11jzz7gl said:
A good player who was not given real opportunities, for me like Harvey and Alex Battle. I reckon he will come back and bite us one day. No one can score 2 goals against a Chelsea team filled with future (now) premier and international standard players and not be up to the level, that's ridiculous thinking.

Neither Harvey or Battle have gone on to prove Argyle wrong (stood next to Harvey's Dad once, he thought the whole world was against them)

I wish Fletcher the best of luck, i like him. My cousin who plays for Tiverton speaks very highly of him

It probably felt like the world was against them, in reality it was the previous two managers and 40% of our fan base.

May 11, 2019
[quote="MarkMatthews"

It probably felt like the world was against them, in reality it was the previous two managers and 40% of our fan base.[/quote)

Sorry this is nonsense, both the previous managers gave him a professional contact and Adams played him , both had opportunities to release him, sometimes things just don’t work out or you’re just not good enough, trying to blame someone who has provided the opportunity in first place just doesn’t add up.

May 8, 2011
MarkMatthews":re72035n said:
Jimmyd":re72035n said:
briangreen":re72035n said:

It probably felt like the world was against them, in reality it was the previous two managers and 40% of our fan base.

So why have they both happily decided to play for Paul Wotton?

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I thought one of the responsibilities of their agents was to promote these lads into the highest level of soccer that they were capable of, or comfortable with. If Truro City is thought to be a bit down market perhaps that agent should be seeking opportunities for young Battle and Harvey to get pre-season game trials with teams higher up the footballing pyramid?

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
MarkMatthews":fbzu0vl2 said:
Jimmyd":fbzu0vl2 said:
briangreen":fbzu0vl2 said:

I’m not sure how you draw this conclusion. Our youth players always have been given great support by most fans. More so than the performances deserve in many cases. I remember Ashley Barnes hit the crossbar once and the fans sung his name for about the next 12 games because of it.

Tyler Harvey got plenty of opportunities under Fletcher. Didn’t score enough. Transitioned into midfield under Sheridan, didn’t look the right fit. By the time Adams came along the writing was on the wall. He was very inconsistent and I don’t think he ever improved much after he broke through. Partly due to John Sheridan, but i think if you’re good enough you’ll force the managers hand.

As for Alex Battle, I saw him play the odd youth game and he never stood out. The same goes for Fletcher who struggled on the occasions I saw him play v Tavistock, and that was SWPL level.

I appreciate that you watch a lot of our youth football and can judge the players better than most. But given the long list of players you have championed over the years have led to limited first team impact, you must surely realise that youth football alone is not a great indicator for potential first team chances?

The harsh reality is stepping from youth football to men’s football is tough. It’s totally different and not all of our youth players are good enough to do it. Some are and will carve out a semi decent career in the lower levels, e.g Luke Young. Some will go on to the top levels as I expect Mike Cooper to do and then others who didn’t look cut out for it, will surprise us all, e.g Isaac Vassell (who I thought was rubbish!) or currently Jephcott, who I thought looked distinctly average as a winger under Adams.

Ultimately if you look at every player who was on Argyle’s youth books over the past 10 years, only a very, very small percentage have gotten anywhere and to be honest I don’t think any (in my immediate recollection) will be making Argyle look back and go “we got that one wrong”.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
briangreen":5pzjk6bm said:

Some of those Chelsea players won’t make it in pro football, let alone the Argyle lads.

Jul 28, 2017
I heard this week that Alex is joining his brother at work at an IT company. Apparently he will consider restarting his football career should an opportunity come along that appeals to him.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Devon General":14obh6ih said:
I heard this week that Alex is joining his brother at work at an IT company. Apparently he will consider restarting his football career should an opportunity come along that appeals to him.

Probably go down the route of playing for Truro, Parkway a team in that level

Dec 19, 2009
Tiverton's about his level based on what I saw of him. Just another in a long line of apparently 'promising' youth team strikers who failed to make the step up. And please don't play the 'he was never given a chance' card. He was and he simply failed to impress. He's been very lucky to stay on the books for so long IMO.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Devon General":2w1s674s said:

Sadly, this summer a lot of released players will have to find a job on civvy street until football financially recovers from the coronavirus.