Alex Fletcher leaving. | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Alex Fletcher leaving.

Aug 5, 2016
keyser soze":3b5t1yvw said:
Tiverton's about his level based on what I saw of him. Just another in a long line of apparently 'promising' youth team strikers who failed to make the step up. And please don't play the 'he was never given a chance' card. He was and he simply failed to impress. He's been very lucky to stay on the books for so long IMO.

It is a tough industry and not everyone is cut out for it.

It makes seeing young Jephcott score goals such a revelation. How often does it happen?

We haven't had a young lad bang regular goals in for us since Ian Stonebridge and he wasn't a local lad.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
WoodsyGreen":1n5a5320 said:
Tiverton apparently.

Won’t surprise me, apparently while on loan there he got on well with players etc

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
keyser soze":2qt4b0fn said:
Tiverton's about his level based on what I saw of him. Just another in a long line of apparently 'promising' youth team strikers who failed to make the step up. And please don't play the 'he was never given a chance' card. He was and he simply failed to impress. He's been very lucky to stay on the books for so long IMO.

I don't see why someone would post something like this. He's probably disappointed enough without being slated by some keyboard professional footballer. Good luck to him in whatever he chooses to do.

Feb 23, 2008
I don't think it's fair to say he was given the best of chances, not by Adams anyway.

Yes he was offered new contracts by him but then was also a victim of Adams' liking for banging square pegs in round holes, every man and his dog stood next to him could see that Fletcher isn't, and never will be, lone striker material.

Far more accomplished and experienced strikers failed in that role under DA, with only really Taylor and Spencer doing well there.

Other than sporadic appearances on the wing for the last few minutes I don't think he was given a chance, he needed to play in a system like we have now with two up, he's a busy striker type to play off a Taylor or Spencer who is good aerially.

I also think Lowe might have got the wrong end of the stick when Fletcher maybe tried to get the point across that he hasn't developed as he should've because he'd been played out of position as such? Going by Lowe's comments about him in the press when he first joined anyhow.

Seems a shame and a bit of a waste really, always seemed to be just on the verge of breaking through, and had he had the right strike partner I believe he would've finally made it.

Jun 27, 2019
You make a good case chunky but I'm a believer that if you're good enough then you'll be noticed - regardless of what position you're stuck in.

Look at Jephcott... didn't Adams play him out wide? Pretty sure it wasn't up top. He didn't really pull up any trees but he was kept on because he clearly has ability and that has ultimately born fruit.

Footballers are potentially so lucrative that these decisions aren't made just on the evidence of a few games. Managers see them in training almost every day and will make a decision on a youngster over a long period of time.

Feb 23, 2008
WoodsyGreen":33xe05sf said:
You make a good case chunky but I'm a believer that if you're good enough then you'll be noticed - regardless of what position you're stuck in.

Look at Jephcott... didn't Adams play him out wide? Pretty sure it wasn't up top. He didn't really pull up any trees but he was kept on because he clearly has ability and that has ultimately born fruit.

Footballers are potentially so lucrative that these decisions aren't made just on the evidence of a few games. Managers see them in training almost every day and will make a decision on a youngster over a long period of time.

Maybe, who knows. Maybe if Jephcott had been played up front on his own repeatedly instead of Fletcher there'd have been a different outcome?

Jephcott has thrived playing in a two up since he came back.

I'd say it's more to do with how they both reacted to their rollockings and sendings out on loan once Lowe took over. Maybe Lowe saw a better reaction from Jephcott then Fletcher and the rest is history......

As I say, shame though, always looked busy and tidy when I saw him.

Dec 19, 2009
Daz":1usu5k7r said:
keyser soze":1usu5k7r said:

I don't see why someone would post something like this. He's probably disappointed enough without being slated by some keyboard professional footballer. Good luck to him in whatever he chooses to do.

Sorry to upset you, but I thought this was an opinions based forum? its a tough world out there and this just happens to be my opinion as a watcher of football. I respect anyone's right to disagree of course but there's no need to get insulting thank you. Good luck to him now he's moving on, yes, but why paint a rosy picture of his time at Argyle when that just doesn't reflect the reality.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
keyser soze":34ijup66 said:
Daz":34ijup66 said:
keyser soze":34ijup66 said:

Sorry to upset you, but I thought this was an opinions based forum? its a tough world out there and this just happens to be my opinion as a watcher of football. I respect anyone's right to disagree of course but there's no need to get insulting thank you. Good luck to him now he's moving on, yes, but why paint a rosy picture of his time at Argyle when that just doesn't reflect the reality.

You didn’t upset mate. I think it just tells a lot about someone’s character when you kick them when they’re down.

His time at Argyle was probably far better than yours or mine.

Jun 27, 2019
To be fair, he didn't exactly stop him in the street and shout it in his face. This is a fans messageboard and all opinions on our players are surely equally valid aren't they?

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Of course they are, that’s why I can comment on other fans opinions. Is that allowed?

I’d be surprised if AF didn’t have a look or was told about what was said about him on here. I just don’t see the need to be so damning on a player that always gave 100% even if he didn’t quite make it.

Jul 6, 2011
April 1971":tnhcq3dx said:
What exact opportunities did he have. Whenever he played under Adams he would be played upfront on his own and that is not his game. A prime example of that was against Chelsea, where he played most of the match on his own and Argyll were losing 2-0. Adams brought on a big striker and Fletcher scored twice, he actually scored a hat trick that night with his penalty take. Despite all that the following game he back on the bench playing his bit part role. Adams was so negative...

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
briangreen":349rniyq said:
What exact opportunities did he have. Whenever he played under Adams he would be played upfront on his own and that is not his game. A prime example of that was against Chelsea, where he played most of the match on his own and Argyll were losing 2-0. Adams brought on a big striker and Fletcher scored twice, he actually scored a hat trick that night with his penalty take. Despite all that the following game he back on the bench playing his bit part role. Adams was so negative...

I think the idea that playing a striker ia way that doesn't suit his style is rather overblown.

Being played out of position I get.

However, if you are picked in your preferred position then you have to be flexible and fit in with the way the rest of the team plays to best effect. If you can't adapt then not only do you only have one string to your bow, but you make it easy for oppositions to minimise your chances and impact.

If I was a striker I would like accurate, even pinpoint accuracy to my feet, preferably with a medium strength pass while I lurk onside but in front of an almost unguarded goal due to goalkeeper and defenders being fixed by the quality of the pass. Give me that and I would score a few.

I am not saying AF was like that. I am simply saying that better players can and do adapt to circumstances.

Dec 19, 2009
Daz":rcxmnxp1 said:
keyser soze":rcxmnxp1 said:
Daz":rcxmnxp1 said:
keyser soze":rcxmnxp1 said:

You didn’t upset mate. I think it just tells a lot about someone’s character when you kick them when they’re down.

His time at Argyle was probably far better than yours or mine.

Firstly I'm not your mate and secondly you know absolutely jack about my character, especially based on one honest opinion of a player's ability that was hardly delivering a body blow. Rather than having a go at me how about you defend AF's corner by presenting some evidence to demonstrate that he is in fact better than I perceive.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
MarkMatthews":12c8tdes said:
Who knows what home grown talent we might have had in the team if Lowe had overseen the periods Sheridan and Adams did, I personally expect it would be a lot more.

It's interesting that you make the point above how Adams/Sheridan didn't care about home grown talent and Lowe does, as this is how many appearances each manager gave to players aged 23 and under who came through our youth team:

12/13 (half-season) 25
13/14: 132
14/15: 83
15/16: 83
16/17: 30
17/18: 20
18/19: 32
19/20 (not complete season) : 35

Average per season for each manager:

Sheridan: 96
Adams: 41
Lowe: 42

Interesting...

(Mods, feel free to rename my username to "Ridiculous Stats Man" or whatever :D :lol: )

May 8, 2011
Dan Ellard":2u25vwtl said:
MarkMatthews":2u25vwtl said:
Who knows what home grown talent we might have had in the team if Lowe had overseen the periods Sheridan and Adams did, I personally expect it would be a lot more.

It's interesting that you make the point above how Adams/Sheridan didn't care about home grown talent and Lowe does, as this is how many appearances each manager gave to players aged 23 and under who came through our youth team:

12/13 (half-season) 25
13/14: 132
14/15: 83
15/16: 83
16/17: 30
17/18: 20
18/19: 32
19/20 (not complete season) : 35

Average per season for each manager:

Sheridan: 96
Adams: 41
Lowe: 42

Interesting...

(Mods, feel free to rename my username to "Ridiculous Stats Man" or whatever :D :lol: )

Another thought maybe that the current manager is benefiting from all the work Adams did in improving the youth and reserve set up during his time here. Just a couple things such as entering the Central League and the Premier League Cup.