Argyle/Bristol Rovers v Ipswich/Coventry | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle/Bristol Rovers v Ipswich/Coventry

Aug 5, 2005
Balham_Green":29lyu764 said:
IJN":29lyu764 said:
Exactly the same as all the other permutations.

It's the same as the National Lottery, the odds of 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 are the same as any other group of numbers.

:crazy:

Er dont think you have done the calculations! 'Same as other permutations' is not correct. Just said it off the top of your head.

You are completely correct BG. The draw tonight was MORE likely than drawing lottery numbers.

As there were 44 balls for top two division teams and only 20 for lower league teams...

The odds that the first ball would be for a top two division team was 44/64 or 68.75%
The odds that the second ball would be for a top two division team was 43/63 or 68.25%
The third ball odds were 67.47%
The fourth ball odds were 67.21%
etc

Even after 12 balls for the top two divisions the odds on the next one being another top team were 32/52 or 61.54%. So really, you could say it was a surprise that a lower league team came out so early.

Sep 6, 2006
Quizmike":178bv1mm said:
Balham_Green":178bv1mm said:
IJN":178bv1mm said:

It's the same as the National Lottery, the odds of 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 are the same as any other group of numbers.

Er dont think you have done the calculations! 'Same as other permutations' is not correct. Just said it off the top of your head.

You are completely correct BG. The draw tonight was MORE likely than drawing lottery numbers.

As there were 44 balls for top two division teams and only 20 for lower league teams...

The odds that the first ball would be for a top two division team was 44/64 or 68.75%
The odds that the second ball would be for a top two division team was 43/63 or 68.25%
etc

Even after 12 balls for the top two divisions the odds on the next one being another top team were 32/52 or 61.54%. So really, you could say it was a surprise that a lower league team came out so early.

Incorrect again. You have looked at each draw individually rather than the chances of them all happening consecutively. Have forgotten my o level maths and cant be arsed to work it out. Perhaps if its a quiet day at the office tomorrow.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Balham_Green":i11zbkpn said:
Quizmike":i11zbkpn said:
Balham_Green":i11zbkpn said:
IJN":i11zbkpn said:

etc

Incorrect again. You have looked at each draw individually rather than the chances of them all happening consecutively. Have forgotten my o level maths and cant be arsed to work it out. Perhaps if its a quiet day at the office tomorrow.
I think what IJN is saying is that the odds of any particular set of 12 balls coming out first is exactly the same as any other particular set of 12 balls ...... in the same way as the odds of the six lottery balls being 1,2 3,4,5,6 is exactly the same as any other six lottery ball combination. Also ....... If they did the draw again the chances that EXACTLY the same would be repeated NOW is no less likely than any of the other possible outcomes. Chance has no memory - the probability of a coin toss being a head is 50% even if you've had 100 consecutive heads immediately before.

However, all that does assume there is no systematic error going on and it is entirely random - as BG says if the balls aren't mixed properly the low numbers might be more likely to be on top so more likely to be pulled out first......then all that goes out the window.

Jun 27, 2019
On another note, did I imagine Tony Adams saying he can't remember the last time he did the FA Cup draw because he was "completely drunk" at the time?

May 22, 2006
An uninspiring draw but if you get a Prem team in the third round it will only be their reserves/youth/players returning from injury. Better to wait to the fifth or later rounds when they start to take the competition seriously.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
oddball":92kj4ajm said:
very mundane draw whether we win or not against the gas...won't be televised and will hardly get a mention....so much for being up for the cup....

Al glad you are still saying we. :thumbup:

Jul 12, 2016
Whats not to like about the draw?Two homes against League 1 teams to come , extra income and a chance to progress in the cup.

May 6, 2011
The @EmiratesFACup replay against @Official_BRFC will be held on Tuesday, December 17.

It will also be live on @btsportfootball

Sep 6, 2006
Ave_IT":2varpc66 said:
Balham_Green":2varpc66 said:
Quizmike":2varpc66 said:
Balham_Green":2varpc66 said:
IJN":2varpc66 said:

etc

I think what IJN is saying is that the odds of any particular set of 12 balls coming out first is exactly the same as any other particular set of 12 balls ...... in the same way as the odds of the six lottery balls being 1,2 3,4,5,6 is exactly the same as any other six lottery ball combination. Also ....... If they did the draw again the chances that EXACTLY the same would be repeated NOW is no less likely than any of the other possible outcomes. Chance has no memory - the probability of a coin toss being a head is 50% even if you've had 100 consecutive heads immediately before.

However, all that does assume there is no systematic error going on and it is entirely random - as BG says if the balls aren't mixed properly the low numbers might be more likely to be on top so more likely to be pulled out first......then all that goes out the window.

So contrary to the mathematical genius of IJN and Quizmike the odds of all first 12 balls in top 2 divisions are approx 10% suggesting my original theory is correct. They dont mix up the bl@ddy balls! Does it matter? A lot if it means we are more likely to get Ipswich than a Prem team!

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Balham_Green":3ov6uh0q said:
Ave_IT":3ov6uh0q said:
Quizmike":3ov6uh0q said:
IJN":3ov6uh0q said:

etc

So contrary to the mathematical genius of IJN and Quizmike the odds of all first 12 balls in top 2 divisions are approx 10% suggesting my original theory is correct. They dont mix up the bl@ddy balls! Does it matter? A lot if it means we are more likely to get Ipswich than a Prem team!

Surely the fact that the balls are loose in a bag and then tipped into the hopper where they bounce about before settling mean that they are mixed up.

Maybe they heat up the premier league balls so they can be identified by touch, does that fit your conspiracy theory?

Aug 5, 2005
Balham_Green":33zwua6v said:
Ave_IT":33zwua6v said:
Quizmike":33zwua6v said:
IJN":33zwua6v said:

etc

I'm sorry but do you have to be so bloody rude?

I was trying to be helpful.

Why don't you ring the FA, speak to the people who have done this hundreds of times and tell them you can do it better yourself? I'm sure they will appreciate your input.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Ignore him, he makes me laugh.

I'm no mathematical genius by any stretch but I'm Einstein compared with Clive. :lol:

Pasoti wouldn't be the same without him.

Remember, each village has its idiot.