Argyle fan in Fulham? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle fan in Fulham?

I went to Fulham a couple of times while I lived in London. Nice ground and a decent pub across the bridge for a pre-match pint or two (The Bricklayers Arms).

Brentford will be leaving Griffin Park at the end of the season. The new ground at Kew looks smart, although it won't have the pub on each corner. I went in February with the nephew to watch Blackburn (he's a Rovers fan). Proper old ground although the facilities in the away end are woeful for large Championship grounds. One portakabin toilet and one small refreshment kiosk.

M

Nov 2, 2004
IJN":3lr816m9 said:
Fulham is my favourite of all grounds I've been to. I don't remember ever seeing us win there though. :thumbdown:
I am sure I saw us win there in the early 80s, it might have been 3_1. Megson might have played and may have been brilliant.Was Megson early eighties or am I talking rubbish?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
ealinggreen":o3ov4pp3 said:
IJN":o3ov4pp3 said:
Fulham is my favourite of all grounds I've been to. I don't remember ever seeing us win there though. :thumbdown:
I am sure I saw us win there in the early 80s, it might have been 3_1. Megson might have played and may have been brilliant.Was Megson early eighties or am I talking rubbish?

I think he left in 79 for Everton

Greendawe

ā™£ļø PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
And I am afraid I recall matches at Craven Cottage in the early 1950s with Johnny Haynes, Jimmy Hill and Charlie Mitten playing for them, and also Bedford Jezzard who I think was a westcountry boy.
Mainly defeats on those occasions but we did win 3-2 in 1954-55 with goals from Peter Anderson, Davis and Davies.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I went there quite a few times years ago when I was working in London and Palace was in the old Division One with Clarke as a striker before he went to Leeds. I remember seeing Kenny Lynch giving it large before the game, on the balcony of the iconic cottage, in the corner of the ground.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
So in the end, there was quite a good response to the OP after I asked the question ā€˜Fulham playing away?ā€™

I donā€™t know if this was a common Cornish saying, but my former father-in-law who was as Cornish as they come, used to use it if ever anybody gave him a cuppa which wasnā€™t full to the brim. Iā€™ve occasionally said it myself, much to the bemusement of my current wife! :funny:

Mar 6, 2011
London / Plymouth
Shoenice":23q8wyjs said:
Went for a run in my local Park in Fulham with headphones in. Some bloke ran past and said 'come on Argyle' :wave:

Not sure what the purpose of the post is :D but would ne intrigued to see if he was local to me. Love bumping into greens in London. I'd like to think he was a green!!

I live further down the river in Barnes, nice run that, the loop from barnes bridge up to Hammersmith bridge and back the north side, or further up towards Putney. Quite often I've seen a bloke in an Argyle shirt jogging that same stretch - always makes me smile..!

Aug 15, 2015
PutneyPete":6hc3baid said:
Shoenice":6hc3baid said:
Went for a run in my local Park in Fulham with headphones in. Some bloke ran past and said 'come on Argyle' :wave:

Not sure what the purpose of the post is :D but would ne intrigued to see if he was local to me. Love bumping into greens in London. I'd like to think he was a green!!

Well, it wasn't me. I am just over the other side of the river.

And the new 'Putney' stand has some way to go before it is finished.
(Craven Cottage in the corner)

cWCtyb2.jpg

Ah ye, my run goes through the track down to what I assume is Hammersmith Bridge - I go a lot in my bright green Argyle away shirt from I think 2 years ago, keep an eye out!

Aug 15, 2015
DrewPAFC":1k1k024d said:
Shoenice":1k1k024d said:

I live further down the river in Barnes, nice run that, the loop from barnes bridge up to Hammersmith bridge and back the north side, or further up towards Putney. Quite often I've seen a bloke in an Argyle shirt jogging that same stretch - always makes me smile..!

Might be me! I've worn my Argyle away shirt down that track there a few times. If he's a young, fit, and handsome looking chap, it's most likely me ;)

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
That day back in ā€˜94 in front of a packed away end, I remember Shilton and McGovern walking around to the dug outs and waving to an adoring away support. Obviously a few weeks later came the disappointment of Burnley and the rest was a bit of an anti climax and the end of Shilton's managerial career due to his personal problems. I always felt sorry for McGovern who I thought was the football brains behind the partnership though. Interesting times. The new relationship I had at the time with a Putney lass also ended in disappointment too. I wonā€™t say for which one of us! Blimey, 26 years ago! :cool:

Mar 6, 2011
London / Plymouth
Shoenice":3v0s4hc6 said:
Might be me! I've worn my Argyle away shirt down that track there a few times. If he's a young, fit, and handsome looking chap, it's most likely me ;)

Must've been someone else :lol:

I shall keep an eye out! Will have to pop mine on more often too, seems a few of us out SW London way. Just last week saw a chap in the white away kit pass under Barnes bridge too.

(Once also spotted an Argyle shirt fly past when I was a few beers deep in the White Hart, sat by the river... My misses didn't understand my excitement :oops: )

Jan 11, 2009
Those of us that lived in London liked Fulham and Brentford because we played them regularly, the fans are friendly enough, no problems or hassle and easy to get to.

Aug 22, 2008
Chicago
Lovely ground with incredible character. It does sometimes lack a bit of atmosphere though. Went to an evening kick-off when I was back in the UK recently and it was full of groups of yuppy city types on a night out as much as was football fans.

It's similar with the T20 nights at the Oval and Lords. Seems to just be one massive public school old boys reunion with limited interest in the cricket.

German Shepherd

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
ealinggreen":2xnf6843 said:
IJN":2xnf6843 said:

I was there !!!! You're not talking rubbish . It was 3-1 if I remember rightly too. Bleddy hell that was nearly 40 years ago :shifty: