Argyle v Pompey match thread | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Pompey match thread

Dec 3, 2005
Not sure I can agree with some who enjoyed that game. Sloppy at the back and the final ball for Argyle wasn't good enough.
George Copper approach play very good, but his final ball was awful.

We did not look sharp up front and allowed Pompey to make mistakes and let them off the hook.
Better finishing in first half we could have been 2 or 3 goals up.
Not sure what happens at halftime, Argyle just not as good second half and not just this game.

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Quick word for Conor Grant. I know it was only 30 minutes, but he was the composure we needed. Used the ball very well and gave alot better balance.
Draw probably the right result but cant help feel we had the chances to make a statement tonight and prove we are contenders.

Mar 8, 2016
dhsboy":30pgjad2 said:
G Cooper terrible crosses, and his attempt at a block for the second goal was pathetic.

Yep my thoughts too. Two points dropped tonight, portsmouth were gash. Unfortunately 2nd half we were just as crap.

Oct 31, 2015
I'm not happy with a draw tonight.

We were sloppy at the back. Cooper was poor with the final ball and once again we lose the second half. RL really needs to look into why that keeps happening.

In the end a keepers error saved us.
First Half Mayor, Nouble and Cooper were causing issues. Second half no where to be seen.

Shout out to Conor Grant who seemed to settle the ship

Players at the end settled for a draw as well which got on my nerves.

Not happy and a bit frustrated :banghead: but at least we didn't lose.

Did laugh at the Comms though on follow. I knew Pompey had got the lead before follow showed it :funny:

Aug 15, 2015
Similar to Swindon. We should have won today's game but again we take our foot off the gas in the 2nd half and invite problems onto ourselves. Got lucky with our equaliser, when in reality we should have closed that game off before Portsmouth got back in. Pointed to the warning signs during the Swindon game, but 'experts' like Nobby thought we were sensational.

Played well today but same story. Don't close out games and invite the opposition onto us. Same old story with Mayor, bar a couple of moments in the 2nd half, nothing to match his 5 a side Brazilian style dribbling. Camara has potential, but potential being the key word. I'm not sure he's ready for 90 minutes week in week out. Fornah seemed to fade and not stamp his mark. Midfield were not strong enough in the 2nd half.

Defenders on the whole were solid, especially Opoku. Aimson's distribution though needs improving and same for Cooper's crossing too. Thought Nouble played well in parts but had a quiet 2nd half and thought Telford really added something today.

Good point but we should be sitting here with 3 points at the same time. All well and good playing this fancy interplay and whatever else, but you've got to turn that into something and convert that territory.

Jul 6, 2005
A good game to watch for the neutrals and a decent advert for League 1.

Overall, we played pretty well against a team who will be in the mix again come April. Might have turned out differently if Nouble or Hardie had taken their chances to put us 2-up. Could only see one winner once they went in front but well done Argyle for getting back level.

Opoku looked nervy every time he was one on one against Marquis and was lucky not to have conceded a penalty in the first half with that headlock. What was Watts thinking with his hands up there for the penalty and we had 3 chances to clear and then failed to close down the scorer for their second goal.

Disappointing to see us not wanting to put the ball in the box at the end when we had the chance to go for a late winner.

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
May 1, 2006
Surprised so many feel a draw was a fair result, we should have been out of sight, but thank goodness we didn't lose, that would have been outrageously harsh.

We're contenders this season for sure if Pompey are one of the best six in this division.

Jul 12, 2016
A good point as expected but the pattern of the game is getting familiar and concerning. Good first half, poor second, missed chances etc. Too much of a coincidence.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Definitely take the point after second half showing.

An entertaining game though. 2 good footballing sides.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Unfortunately we never made our first half dominance pay. We missed Byron Moore's control on the flank and I thought Hardie had a quiet game. The contrast with Nouble's contribution was immense. Nevertheless a point is a point. Move on.

Mar 22, 2020
A fair result. I think the second half performances are generally down to the opposing manager doing his job to nullify our strengths. We're new to the league so have that surprise element on our side. The most frustrating thing for me is that we should be more ruthless in the first half. It's only a matter of time before teams have us worked out before we kick off. Great to see the greens competing at the top end of the table though, overall very happy with what's going on at home park. BTW we'll done Dom Telford, a real bright spark when we needed it.