Argyle v Pompey match thread | Page 11 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Pompey match thread

Aug 5, 2016
If it was a fair result as so many are saying, Pompey would also have created the two best chances of the game and not taken them. They would have been all over us for 45 minutes as opposed to a relatively brief period after half time.

Lowe and the players will be very disappointed not to have coverted that dominant display into goals and points. We were the better side but didn't make it count.

Fair play to Jackett and his half time tweaks but I think it is stretching it to credit them with earning a draw. They rode their luck at one end and there was a massive element of fortune in having a routine corner and coming out of it with a penalty. Naive from us.

We let the points slip but we move on. Lessons to be learned from the footage and I am sure DVD analysis is being prepared as we type.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Knibbsworth":1r4nnbwo said:
If it was a fair result as so many are saying, Pompey would also have created the two best chances of the game and not taken them. They would have been all over us for 45 minutes as opposed to a relatively brief period after half time.

Lowe and the players will be very disappointed not to have coverted that dominant display into goals and points. We were the better side but didn't make it count.

Fair play to Jackett and his half time tweaks but I think it is stretching it to credit them with earning a draw. They rode their luck at one end and there was a massive element of fortune in having a routine corner and coming out of it with a penalty. Naive from us.

We let the points slip but we move on. Lessons to be learned from the footage and I am sure DVD analysis is being prepared as we type.

Agreed. Jacket will clearly be the happier of the two managers and was somewhat sheepish in his interview. Unlike O'Neil who was the most one sided pundit they could have possibly found. Its going to ruin his night when someone tells him Portsmouth aren't currently 8 points clear.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I thought O'Neil was fine myself. I think his saying Pompey should be from 2nd to 4th is about right and that we should be thereabouts for the play offs but possibly fall just short was also a fair call. He spoke well of us generally as did Jackett.

Sep 15, 2020
I wanted G Cooper back this season like many others did , but the more i see of him the more lightweight he comes over.
I cannot understand how he was not the first one substituted as he gave the ball away too much , ran up blind alleys and
to round things off he totally chickened out of the block for Pompeys second goal . What a contrast with the block made to rob
us of a certain second goal ! I feel there is a good player there somewhere but a bit more commitment to the cause is needed.
Having said that , who was the player who totally missed kicking the ball before it even got to Cooper !
We slowly seem to be seeing an an improvement in defence but there individual errors are costing us !!!

Returnofthepob

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Aug 20, 2015
up_the_line":39sdkvju said:
Knibbsworth":39sdkvju said:

Agreed. Jacket will clearly be the happier of the two managers and was somewhat sheepish in his interview. Unlike O'Neil who was the most one sided pundit they could have possibly found. Its going to ruin his night when someone tells him Portsmouth aren't currently 8 points clear.

“Fair result” is such a subjective concept. I think on balance we cancelled each other out in a decent game.

But, Here’s the question ...

At 77 mins - would you have take a point ?
Surely yes. Therefore it’s a good result.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
A draw was a fair result over the 90 minutes.

As with the game at Wigan, if you dont take your chances when you are on top, that's poor football not bad luck and you only have yourself to blame. Hardie and Nouble missed great chances to make it 2-0 and we were made to pay for it.

Individual mistakes at each end cost us once again.

As well as the missed chances, Watts gave away a ridiculous and needless penalty and we had chances to clear the ball before their second goal but didn't. Apart from the missed opportunities to clear the ball before it actually reached Naylor, compare Cooper's pathetic attempt to block him with Cameron Pring's footballing equivalent of diving on a hand grenade to save his mates.

Overall, I thought we played well against a team who will be contenders again this season. A lot of Pompey fans were quite happy to take a point last night which is a complement to us.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
I agree with those who are saying it was a fair result and think anybody who feels we should have been out of sight is looking through green tinted specs. Don’t recall their keeper making too many great saves and in fact both our goals were gifts really. Hardie could have scored but as has been said, that was a top class block from their defender and I don’t think any blame could be attached to him for that. George Cooper continues to underwhelm me as I said during the summer. Diabolical 'attempt' to block their second goal - hope he got a right rollicking from RL for that. Poor crossing, either hitting first defender or eluding everybody, except for the second goal which relied on a total cock up by their keeper. He looks a L2 player which is probably why Posh don’t want him.

Immense shift put in by Nouble and Mayor looked total class as usual - he looks like he could play at the next level. Defence looked sound for most of the game, but they panicked a bit when Pompey were in the ascendancy. Got to be happy with a point - top home side and top away side cancel each other out.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Guiri Green":1ziotu6m said:
I was pleasantly underwhelmed with Pompey. I was expecting a tougher test.

Top 3 material according to Portsmouth TV.. sorry, I mean Sky.
Make of that what you will

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
up_the_line":3lsuc0f9 said:
Guiri Green":3lsuc0f9 said:
I was pleasantly underwhelmed with Pompey. I was expecting a tougher test.

Top 3 material according to Portsmouth TV.. sorry, I mean Sky.
Make of that what you will

Sky Ports All Stars!

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Put it this way, i know the game ended all square, but I'd take Canavan and Wooton over their Centre Back pairing on the evidence purely of that game. They were caught by rudimentary long pokes and a bit of pace far too often in the first half

Sep 2, 2008
Think that'll be the last game Fornah starts for a while. I can see that spot now being reserved for Grant. Fornah's slash at the ball which drifted out to the Pompey player for him to smash into the bottom corner despite Coopers valiant and brave attempt to block the shot was what got him hauled off I reckon. Lowe was saying in his interview that we needed a calm head in that situation and that certainly wasn't what Fornah displayed.
I also think that Byron will be back in the LWB role. Cooper is turning into a bit of a liability and is severely lacking from a defensive perspective.