Artell. “We should have won that by a distance” | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Artell. “We should have won that by a distance”

Aug 5, 2016
GreenThing":1r5ig72s said:
What was the second stonewall penalty?

Not sure what he is going on about with that.

He also referred to the unbelievable 300 travelling support from Crewe. Then blamed the ref for being swayed by the 5,000 Argyle fans. I am not sure if arithmetic is his strong point, or what he thought of the away crowd Argyle took to their place which was 4 or 5 times that!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Does seem an... unusual chap :lol:

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
On Saturday I didn't see the 'penalty' challenge on Danny Mayor from where I was sitting. Viewing coverage of it since, I personally don't think it was conclusive either way. Clearly the ref had a much better view than me and he gave it. I was wondering, however, what might have been going through the ref's mind when he made that instant decision.

Having just watched Charlie Rose's excellent Tunnel Cam footage, there is a fascinating bit where Artell confronts the ref about Fadz's first half challenge in the box, just before everyone came out for the second half. Clearly, Artell thought it was a good tactical decision that he should make his feelings known at that point. He might have been attempting to place doubt about 'an injustice' in the official's mind and get some redress in the second half.

He was, to say the least, verbally aggressive and threatened the ref that he would give him a 'zero' score. I am by no means an apologist for League Two referees who, like League Two players, are - let's say - not always of top quality. I thought the ref showed commendable class and restraint, however, by allowing Artell to rant and then dismissing it with 'I don't care...'

But being only human, I wonder whether the still keen memory of that encounter may have had a teeny, teeny bit of a bearing on the ref's decision to effectively hand Argyle an incredible advantage over the team managed by Artell? Maybe, maybe not - but, if so, thanks Mr Artell! :lol: :scarf:

Oct 5, 2013
Yeh just seen the clip on Tunnel Vision and that’s out of order by Artell, definitely trying to influence the referee for the second half by saying he’s giving him a zero at half-time, should receive a big fine and suspension for that form of gamesmanship. A pity, because our manager apparently has a lot of time for the Crewe set-up. I now have their manager down as a “zero” to use his own words.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
No doubt he has also given Porter a zero if he is looking to apportion the blame for their defeat.
What other objective could he have had, in the tunnel, other than to threaten and blackmail the referee?
Could he have been given a red card before the game re-started?
Martyn or Lundan Cabbie; any opinions?

Feb 2, 2005
Cornwall
He can huff and puff all he likes but it was 0-0 at HT. We only got awarded our penalty after that horrendous miss by Porter. If he scored that - I think we can all agree he should have - then we wouldn't have stormed the other end and won the penalty.

Them's the breaks, kid.

He's still going on about it :funny: I can't believe the FA haven't charged him yet.

https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/sport/f ... l-17775532

Speaking to the media for the first time since then on Tuesday, Artell revealed he had spoken to Jones, who is national group director of the PGMOL (Professional Game Match Officials Limited) on the way back to Cheshire.

And he recounted his conversations with Nield after the game.

Artell said: "The referee did three 'Chris Porter misses' in 90 minutes. Unacceptable.

"If you miss one, it's forgiveable. Chris came in, full of remorse, said 'sorry fellas' straight away.

"But I'm sure Tom still thinks he's right to this moment in time - he certainly still thought he was right at 5.20pm (on Saturday) when I went and saw him, that's for sure.

"And he lied. Twice. Because he said he saw it (Plymouth's penalty incident) directly and having by then seen it eight times at that point, and in slow motion, I knew he couldn't see their penalty because of where Antoni Sarcevic and Michael Nottingham were.

"So I knew he'd lied. And I told him that.

"And he said 'are you calling me a liar?'

"And I said 'yes'.

"He said 'well you need to be careful'.

"But I knew I was right, so you have to shut up at that point.

"And he said he didn't give the penalty on Stephen Walker, and he should have booked him for diving - that was the feedback during the game.

"But after the game he said he was unsure whether it was a slip or a dive, and (said) that's what he told the fourth official.

"But when I had asked the fourth official whether he had heard a slip or a dive (from Nield via the officials' communication devices) he said 'no, just a dive'.

"He was just covering his own back. Don't lie!

"Whether you have made a mistake or you still think you are right, don't lie to me! He's lied to me twice.

"You're hitting your head against a brick wall when referees are that pig-headed.

"They are no better than me, no worse than me, just a human being - but he'd out himself on a pedestal and what happened in that room disgusted me as much as what happened on the pitch.

"I was perfectly calm and polite, we all sat down, I shook his hand on the way out, no problem.

"It's a tough job. But don't lie to me, I hate that."

Argyle's win, and subsequent draw at Macclesfield Town on Tuesday, has put them level on points with the Alex in the race for automatic promotion from League Two.

Artell added: "I spoke to Mike on the way home, I like Mike he's a good guy. I told him what had happened, I've submitted my report and we'll see what happens.

"(Nield) was definitely, definitely, definitely 'influence-able' without a shadow of a doubt. Tom crumbled. I told him at half time I was worried about him.

"He walked past our changing room door at half time and I said 'I'm worried about you'

"He said 'what do you mean?'

"I said 'you've missed two penalties for us and I'm really worried about you because I think you might crumble. Lo and behold, half an hour later, he has. Again."

Aug 5, 2016
It sounds like he missed his medication that day. What a fruit loop.

Thank goodness Ryan Lowe didn't react like such a spoilt brat after losing to Swindon. I'd hate to think of an Argyle manager talking to referees like that.

May 8, 2011
Knibbsworth":27mejndj said:

Thank goodness Ryan Lowe didn't react like such a spoilt brat after losing to Swindon. I'd hate to think of an Argyle manager talking to referees like that.

No, but on the final whistle at Exeter he ran down the tunnel faster than Usain Bolt leaving the team and his management team to face the fans, no fist pump that day.

Aug 5, 2016
HC Green":35z0qvg1 said:
Knibbsworth":35z0qvg1 said:

No, but on the final whistle at Exeter he ran down the tunnel faster than Usain Bolt leaving the team and his management team to face the fans, no fist pump that day.

I don't really see what that has to do with being an odious brat who brings the club into disrepute. Whatever your gripe with Ryan Lowe is, at least he conducts himself with dignity. His behaviour reflects on the club well.

Ryan Lowe will never be Derek Adams, and no ever future Argyle manager will be. Perhaps you should cut them all some slack and give up your vendetta. You may even enjoy watching Argyle more without this 'justice for Adams' agenda filtering your every thought.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
HC Green":pjpqhjpu said:
Knibbsworth":pjpqhjpu said:

Just wondering , did Ryan Lowe talk to the media after that game HC ?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
HC Green":1ywemfod said:
Knibbsworth":1ywemfod said:

Just wondering what the relevance of that comment might be?