Assessment of RLs season | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Assessment of RLs season

Mar 14, 2009
This is how l look at it. Explains maybe why lm currently disappointed.

Let’s forget our position currently.

Let’s just compare this season with last season in terms of progression of our playing style.

Last season we had defensive issues. At the end of this season we still will have defensive issues. Probably even more so.

Last season after a defeat we had some fight in the team that often bounced back with a result. This season it’s poor performance after poor performance. No fight. No heart.

Last season we played 3ATB. This season we still play that system and yet are playing it so badly we are now scrambling to find anything that may work.

When we attack our only creative spark, as with last season, was Mayor. Unfortunately, that creative player has no end product and we are toothless.

When we play l can’t actually explain what type of team we are. If we are a pressing team then the press is so disjointed because teams pass with ease through us. If we aren’t a pressing team why do teams get in behind us with such ease with a very basic long ball.

Are we a better footballing side 12 months on? Would the team he had last year do any worse than the current players he has at his disposal? For me, no.

So effectively we are not a better team. The team that finished last season could beat this current team. And that unfortunately is where we are.

We sit here making excuses. Making excuses why we lose 0-6 at home. Why the performances are so bad for the last few months.

We are a terrible league one outfit and to be honest if you perform like we have over the course of this season we deserve to be relegated. Thankfully, it appears there might actually be four worse teams than us.

I personally don’t know how you put a positive spin on this season. Yes our goal was to survive. Quite frankly though given our level of performances we are very lucky to have appeared to survive.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Difficult to argue with any of that MGM

The only positive is we look like we managed to stay up.

Everything else has been painful

Mar 14, 2009
Paranoid Android":2ggq27rx said:
A vague memory popped into my head. Someone here posted a few games after Niall Ennis was signed, their observation that putting him straight into the team affected the rhythm of the performances and he and Jephcott didn't seem to be working so well as the Hardie/Jephcott partnership, although Niall was individually playing well at the time. I wonder how much it affected Luke psychologically, having developed a good understanding with Hardie, suddenly having to adapt to a new partner, who is a completely different kind of player, and in his first season as a striker in senior football.

So I've taken a look at why our goals started to dry up from around this time, or at least that was a perception. We've all talked in general terms about the first and second halves of the season. Largely, the first team and formation (until the recent experiment with 4-2-2-2) haven't changed, apart from adding Ennis and losing Canavan. There can't be just one reason for the dramatic loss of form. Losing the experience of Canavan appears to have affected us, though it's hard to quantify. I suppose we could look at goals against, before and after Canavan. That might tell us something.

But my thought was around goals scored before and after Ennis. This isn't about Niall, his performances, particularly in the first 10 games looked a step up, and he was scoring 1 in 3 games. Now, like the others, he's not. So this is more about decisions made, players brought in to fit a system and style of play. Niall doesn't really run the channels, although it looks like he's been coached to the past few games, and to hold up the ball.

Just as a talking point, and to repeat, this isn't about Ennis, it's just pointing to something that's coincided with a rapid drop in team performances generally.

18/01/21 Ennis signs.

Goals scored in all competitions to 18/01/21 - 47 (31 games) = 1.5 goals per game

Goals scored after 18/01/21 - 20 ( 22 games) = 0.9 goals per game

I guess it’s all about perception.

What l mean by this is l thought Ennis was the only guy holding the ball up in the first place. I remember him a few times with his back to the defender and turning him. When l remember us playing badly before our Bristol Rovers and Wimbledon results l thought he was the guy running the channels. In fact l remember the game at M K Dons where (I think it was Martin Gritton saying) he was stand out player on the pitch in terms of his hold up play.

I remember the game against Portsmouth where it was Ennis run down the channel that presented Jephcott with the tap in for one of his goals.

Personally l don’t think Ennis has been doing anything different than when he first came here. Instead l look at the service given to our forwards. It’s been diabolical. Punts down the channel they don’t have a cat in hells chance of getting. That’s the problem as to why we aren’t scoring. Our build up play is rubbish.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
A lot of things have gone to pot, build up play definitely is one of them. That starts with slow passes out from the back line. Some of our best moves have come from Cooper's awareness in releasing players into the middle third, getting us moving up field quickly. The driving runs through the centre (ala GC10, Sarce) have been completely absent since Pan lost his mojo. The only time that we even look threatening is when Danny is running with the ball, and as we know that too often ends in a cul-de-sac.
I support any Argyle manager until the day they leave, but that doesn't stop me wondering if our problems really stem from RL's inability to make tactical changes as they become needed and all the other issues stemming from this.
As Kevin Keegan famously said when he left the England job in 2000: "I could see it going wrong but I just didn't know what to do to stop it". It was one of the most honest things I've ever heard a manager say.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
mutley marvel":3d1jts1p said:
How that we have limped over the line & guaranteed League 1 next season what our are thoughts of RLs performance during this season

What has he excelled at

What has he misjudged

What could he have done better

What will is end of season report card say

What will he be looking to change in readiness for next season

He mentioned on Thursday in is pre match interview that he now realises what is required to be competitive in League 1 but talk is cheap & actions speak louder than words

Watching week in week out for the last couple of months has not been a pleasurable experience- infact i would call this season the rinse repeat season as we all know what is coming even before the boys have kicked off

Hopefully we might be pleasantly surprised next season but mt gut instinct tells me RL is set in is ways :think:

!.....Limping over the line.....not quite achieved yet...but we would be unlucky if Rochdale managed the job.

2.....He has excelled in getting us cringing each week with his post match excuses.

3..... He has misjudged the importance of a sound defence.

4.....Done Better ?... not repeating the same mistakes week after week.

5.....End of season report....if you play like this next season you'll be relegated or sacked.

6.....Changing next season...his complete team style....get a sound defence.

7.....I doubt if he does realize what is required for next season.

I feel that he has brought in reasonable players....but has turned most of them into Div 2 hacks.....Camara started to go downhill after being substituted at Fleetwood....as if it was all his fault....three more goals were scored after he had been taken off....you don't take a young player off after 11 minutes without leaving scars that blows his confidence.

The whole plan Lowe has of build his team around one creative player....Mayor if your wondering who ?....was doomed to failure...yet every week it was the same old thing....Mayor is over rated and never lasts more than 45 minutes....literally goal less and runs up blind alleys eventually.....and not many assists either.....and never, never gets substituted...although at times you think he might of been by his absence.

Lowe continues to play Jephcott or brings him on as a sub.....about 18 games since he remotely looked like scoring....he has been sussed out.

There are young players getting on the bench...only to see Byron Moore get the nod before them....why, why,why ?

Argyles biggest mistake...lengthening Ryan Lowe's contract....but he had two consecutive promotions you say....last years was a tad lucky....got into a promotion place days before the season was closed down....phew bet that hurt Exeter somewhat.

Lowe is now telling us how poor his team is....boys playing men etc etc....he has lost it.....a manager that has a defence that has given away 4 goal twice...a 5 and a 6 is not any good for moral....and for scoring...you wonder where the next goal is coming from....remember we have given away 13 goals and scored 1 in the last 4 games.....and we are heading for 80 goals against for the SECOND time in three seasons.

I think a manager who has not brought his family down with him is not so committed as he would like us to think....get rid of him before he causes more damage.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
A lot of interesting observations there.
Not happy then, PR?
Mixed emotions in your family on Tuesday night.
Still, we did knock them out of the FA Cup.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
davie nine":3g2zjzge said:
A lot of interesting observations there.
Not happy then, PR?
Mixed emotions in your family on Tuesday night.
Still, we did knock them out of the FA Cup.

It doesn't help having a grinning son and grandson (luckily I haven't seen them since)......who were completely unbothered about the FA Cup and there team didn't seem too bothered either.

At least I wasn't in front of the same telly... as they sang......' we want six...we want six '.....they had to bring on their top scorer to achieve that....nah nah na nah nah.....there second best scorer is out injured (Washington).

What is worrying is that Charlton aren't known for being prolific scorers.

Who else can say that they've given away to....Wimbledon 4...Rochdale 4...Fleetwood 5...& Charlton 6 in the same season.....you'd think that Ryan Lowe would have the decency to resign.

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
Well said, Peter Jones. Taking the long view, there are lots of positives to take from the current situation, not least the emergence of a group of home-grown players who look like good prospects for the future. Agree that the current regime is almost certainly behind where the first Sturrock regime was after their first season in this league, but Luggy had a bit longer in the bottom rung to put his team in place. It is also my feeling that Luggy was more developed as a manager when he came to HP than Ryan Lowe was.

Think this is a time for quiet reflection rather than kneejerk reactions to what admittedly was a pretty awful 90-odd minutes. Let's see how the management team and the players react to this big jolt. This is not a time to "get rid" but one for those at the sharp end to "think big".

Jul 12, 2016
Keith_Whitfield":82qgjq87 said:
Well said, Peter Jones. Taking the long view, there are lots of positives to take from the current situation, not least the emergence of a group of home-grown players who look like good prospects for the future. Agree that the current regime is almost certainly behind where the first Sturrock regime was after their first season in this league, but Luggy had a bit longer in the bottom rung to put his team in place. It is also my feeling that Luggy was more developed as a manager when he came to HP than Ryan Lowe was.

Think this is a time for quiet reflection rather than kneejerk reactions to what admittedly was a pretty awful 90-odd minutes. Let's see how the management team and the players react to this big jolt. This is not a time to "get rid" but one for those at the sharp end to "think big".
Knee jerk! We have had a lot of awful performances.
How much more of this mediocrity are we meant to accept?
The only positive is we will almost certainly be in league 1 next season.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
oldage":102wmqm2 said:
Keith_Whitfield":102wmqm2 said:

Mediocrity is an Argyle thing....we have the patent on it.

Apr 9, 2011
oldage":n5j2ptdp said:
Keith_Whitfield":n5j2ptdp said:

Knee jerk what are you talking about. We have been garbage for the last dozen matches so reaction to that doesnt constitute "knee jerk" .
We were very fortunate to get promoted which ever way you look at it & Lowe & his merry men have been totally out of their collective depths ever since . We are going to luckily survive by the skin of our teeth so how can anyone in their right minds say anything other than this season has been a complete disaster

Dec 16, 2004
Keith_Whitfield":2wqpj45x said:

Quiet reflection?

You speak as if Charlton was a one-off.

It doesn't take much reflection to understand that the current defensive set-up is inadequate; nor that playing the same ineffective formation game after game is shrewd management, nor that the players have displayed a lack of commitment and fight.
I was incensed to see Lowe slumped in his dugout with his hands in his pockets on Tuesday. Does he think that is any more acceptable than the players lack of interest.

I have seriously lost confidence in Lowe. I suspect Simon Hallett may be having a quiet reflection on whether he has been hoodwinked by the crafty scouser.

Remember " Mayor is better than Carey and Lameiras"?

If that is an example of RL's analysis of a player then I rest my case.

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
The comments on this thread understandably relate to the periods of relegation form we have been through this season. But, with the same players and management team, we have also had two quite sustained periods of automatic promotion form. The key end of season question for me is why this inconsistency and who is to blame for it. This is obviously the key issue to put right for next season. next season.

Jul 12, 2016
lyndhurst13":3jldhmzm said:
Keith_Whitfield":3jldhmzm said:

Quiet reflection?

It doesn't take much reflection to understand that the current defensive set-up is inadequate; nor that playing the same ineffective formation game after game is shrewd management, nor that the players have displayed a lack of commitment and fight.
I was incensed to see Lowe slumped in his dugout with his hands in his pockets on Tuesday. Does he think that is any more acceptable than the players lack of interest.

I have seriously lost confidence in Lowe. I suspect Simon Hallett may be having a quiet reflection on whether he has been hoodwinked by the crafty scouser.

Says it all :thumbup:

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
lyndhurst13":dqidwd7h said:
Keith_Whitfield":dqidwd7h said:

Quiet reflection?

Mayor is also not as good as ....Pilgrim Pete.