Back to the Lyndhurst | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Back to the Lyndhurst

Feb 27, 2010
Been in the Grandstand for over 20 years, hated the Lyndhurst, the seats were ok but the sun in the face and getting wet got me down, now back in the grandstand and the seats are much tighter than they were, and I'm not a giant by any means.

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
PlymouthCasual":1h12ilbk said:
Easy solution to this problem, stand up :oops:
By Jove! The mans a genius “Rail seats” What an excellent idea. :thumbup: :lol:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
All this talk of having to use the original profile?
I thought that the whole caboodle was dismantled down to the bare framework? Not an engineer but couldn't they have built a 'former' or framework that sat on the old Grandstand frame but have a new arrangement of 'stepping' to allow a bit more room? Forgive me if you're 'learned' and think my question is stupid. But surely a solution could have been built on/in?

I am only 5'9" or 5'10" (depending how stressed I am on a particular day!) but I left the Grandstand after many years as the seat meant that, an hour in, my Greek philosophers (dodgy knees :coat: ) or my hip joint caused a lot of pain and I'm not tall by modern standards. I am however, taller than my Dad, my Grandads and the average guy when the stand was built (nutrition, dear boy, nutrition).

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Oh no, we should just demolish it then. The leg room issue is a necessary sacrifice if we want an 18,000+ capacity.

Keith Hennessey

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
Remove all the protruding pieces from the backs of the seats.Replace with metal strip that joins all the seats thus not compromising the strength whilst increasing the legroom maybe only marginally but could be enough for most patrons.

Just a thought.

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
Sat in the lower grandstand yesterday and absolutely no issues at all with leg room.

Appreciate most are calling out the upper grandstand - is it really that much worse?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
dazzy3000":2mi5ywph said:
Sat in the lower grandstand yesterday and absolutely no issues at all with leg room.

Appreciate most are calling out the upper grandstand - is it really that much worse?

Haven’t sat there yet, but unfortunately so.

The lower tier is completely different, as it’s been purpose built for modern seating. The upper tier was built for 1950s wooden seats and 1950s legroom, so is much worse with modern seats. Hopefully a solution can be found, perhaps as simple as altering the angle of the seat backs so they don’t dig into people’s knees.

Jul 15, 2011
Haven't sat up there so dont know how bad it is, but i have been to many grounds and quite often find the legroom very restricted, even at Anfield.
If a key part of the problem is the shape of the (standard commercial) seat backs then an 'easy' remedy would be the manufacture and fitting of something bespoke, but simple. However even something simple would be quite expensive and i imagine having just spent a lot on a new stand we aren't going to do that in the short term.
Maybe in the longer term it might happen, if there is sufficient demand....

Mar 4, 2004
Since moving back west and being near enough to get to home games I've used the Grandstand for the last 20 years. Yesterday was my first game in the new upper tier and maybe my expectations were too high but I found it very cramped and the narrow concourse is not a step forward. I definitely sat there thinking I should go back to the Lyndhurst or try the lower section.

My other gripe was the speaker volume it's deafening. If there was an atmosphere you wouldn't know it, until mercifully kick off comes and you get a reprieve for 45 minutes. Conversation seemed a struggle.

I've been going for on and off for 50 years so this may be grumpy old man nostalgia but the character has all gone and been replaced by modern functionality that doesn't seem to function. I rather hope other people don't feel like me as that would be a great shame.

meetoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jul 29, 2010
Yammerman":o5y82vgm said:
Since moving back west and being near enough to get to home games I've used the Grandstand for the last 20 years. Yesterday was my first game in the new upper tier and maybe my expectations were too high but I found it very cramped and the narrow concourse is not a step forward. I definitely sat there thinking I should go back to the Lyndhurst or try the lower section.

My other gripe was the speaker volume it's deafening. If there was an atmosphere you wouldn't know it, until mercifully kick off comes and you get a reprieve for 45 minutes. Conversation seemed a struggle.

I've been going for on and off for 50 years so this may be grumpy old man nostalgia but the character has all gone and been replaced by modern functionality that doesn't seem to function. I rather hope other people don't feel like me as that would be a great shame.

Exactly the point in some of my other posts recently!! Absolutely no need for the volume to be so high in the grandstand... conversation is completely ruined and it stifles any atmosphere! The ‘DJ’ must be deaf, I say the ‘DJ’ must be DEAF.

Dec 3, 2005
meetoo":3g5fpvug said:
Yammerman":3g5fpvug said:

Exactly the point in some of my other posts recently!! Absolutely no need for the volume to be so high in the grandstand... conversation is completely ruined and it stifles any atmosphere! The ‘DJ’ must be deaf, I say the ‘DJ’ must be DEAF.
We have a DJ? wow - if the DJ is listening PLEASE oh PLEASE stop playing the same crap every week - and no i do not mean Semper! The other durge that is played.