Brief Synopsis!!! (Bristol Rovers) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Bristol Rovers)

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
nick_PASTIE":h9tb2jne said:
Adams confirms Ness MotM “by a country mile”. Only trained on Thursday this week too.

And he's spot on. Ness was outstanding even without the goals.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
That was the biggest win of the season for me.

To come from behind and win after such a shambolic first half defensive display shows what a good team we are. It took a half time team talk from Derek Adams to wake us up and it certainly worked because we were so much better in the second half, typified by Yann Songo'o who had a nightmare first 45 minutes but recovered to have a very good second half.

Credit to Bristol Rovers for attacking us and making it a cracking game of football, it was a very open game and for 20 minutes in the first half it looked liked Rovers would score a hatful of goals. Everytime time they attacked we looked nervous in defence not helped by Remi Matthews being too slow and having his kicks charged down, he cost us a point at Portsmouth by being hesitant and in this game he twice got away with mistakes when his kicks were closed down. He has a touch of the Boateng's about him in that I don't think he's been as good in his second loan spell as he was when he first signed for us.

Thankfully Jamie Ness recovered from injury for this game and we really needed him.

With snow falling at Home Park and a crowd of 13,500 it was Rovers who started the better team and much like other teams in recent games they targeted our left side, with Songo'o having no left foot and Sawyer being done for pace we struggled to stem the tide.

Rovers got their deserved lead from a dubious free kick, Carey misplaced a pass and Vyner tried to recover the situation but was adjudged to have made a foul. The 20-yard free-kick from Lines went around the wall and into the side of the goal that Matthews was covering and into the net. A keeper mistake, a poor wall or just a good free kick?

The confidence visibly dropped from the Argyle defence and we were all at sea, Songo'o couldn't handle the movement of Harrison up front for Rovers.

Against the run of play we grabbed an equaliser when a short corner was played back to Carey and his cross found the head of Ness who looped the ball over the keeper and into the far corner. 1-1 and another assist for Carey, it also meant we have now scored in 19 successive games.

Rovers came back at us and Matthews got away with a complete howler when his kick was charged down, sadly Songo'o did not get away with a mistake when he had control of the ball but lost out to Harrison who easily beat Matthews from close range.

It was a poor first half and we looked a pale shadow of the team who have done so well since December. Matthews and Songo'o were disasters waiting to happen and Lameiras went AWOL, it would be a surprise if at least two of those three returned for the second half.

They did all return but only Songo'o can claim to have played better in the second half.

After the expected hair dryer treatment from Adams we played a lot better in the second half, we were now putting in the effort and closing down the Rovers players and were rewarded with an early penalty when Makasi was brought down, it was a harsh decision but we'll take it.
Lameiras grabbed the ball in what looked like a pre-planned move after Carey had recently missed a few penalties but he also missed when Slocombe made a good save.

Nevermind because up stepped Ness again just a few second later when his cross/shot hit a defenders head, hit the post and nestled in the opposite corner. A stroke of luck but successful teams always have the luck.

Rovers were shell shocked but did create some pressure but Songo'o stopped a certain goal when he closed down Harrison.

Matthews had another clearance closed down and was again lucky to get away with it.

With time running out we were awarded a free kick, Carey swung it into the box and Songo'o received an awful elbow to the head, the ref pointed to the penalty spot and this time Carey grabbed the ball instead of Lameiras and sent Slocombe the wrong way. Home Park erupted while the Rovers fans decided the attack the Argyle fans in block 18.

The expected Rovers late pressure was thwarted by a good save from Matthews and some good clearances and we we held on for a big win.

The game finished with Argyle players hugging each other, Argyle fans celebrating and Rovers fans fighting the police and stewards!

Fox and Ness were just brilliant, their experience helped us through the game and Ness had the icing on the cake with two goals.
Lameiras was very disappointing, he went missing during the first half but played slightly better in the second half.
Songo'o had the sort of first half that players have nightmares about but credit to him for coming back strong in the second half, lesser players would have crumbled.

Carey had a great second half and once again his work rate matches his skill.

Makasi was another player who went missing in the first half, he looks too lightweight but like several others he had a good second half.

Vyner is our best defender at the moment because we are really struggling without Bradley.

What do about Matthews? His confidence is shot to pieces, is Letheren fit enough to start games? I didn't like Matthews throwing or kicking the ball from one side of the penalty area to Songo'o or Vyner who stood at the other side, it's just asking for trouble.

Huge credit to the players for turning it around and coming from behind to beat a very good Rovers team.

Man of the Match - Ness.

Matthews 4, Threlkeld 6, Vyner 7, Songo'o 6, Sawyer 5, Fox 7, Ness 8, Makasi 5, Carey 7, Lameiras 5, Taylor 6. Subs Taylor-Sinclair n/a, Paton n/a.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
a dramatic win against a very determined side who had,in my opinion,the best player on the pitch,their number 9.a dead ball kick just outside the D and with a gap in the "wall" that you could have berthed an ocean liner in and their player could not miss.remi had one of those days we all have where almost nothing went right.he is an excellent 'keeper of course but he had a bad day.yann also had a 'mare of a first half,littered with mistakes but,along with the rest of the team,they must have had an industrial size hair dryer from derek at half time.the second half had mare drama with a soft penalty which was easily and justifiably saved.shortly after this good attacking play and an own goal to level the score.'twas very fitting that on St. Patricks day St. Graham scored the winner with a very brave and deserved second penalty.a match that was not of the highest quality but full of excitement.well done to all players.one final thing with regard to the opening post,i did not hear the players being booed off.my ratings;

Remi Matthews - 3
Oscar Threlkeld - 6
Zak Vyner - 7
Yann Songo'o - 4
Gary Sawyer - 7
David Fox - 9
Jamie Ness - 10
Moses Makasi - 8
Ruben Lameiras - 7
Graham Carey - 8
Ryan Taylor - 7

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
What a game, mainly due to the defensive chaos that both sides seemed hell bent on displaying.

Fortunately for Argyle, Oscar and Vyner were as good as Songoo and Sawyer were poor. As for Matthews, I hope this was a one off, but for those writing off Luke, I think today showed that maybe premature.

I thought our midfield lacked bite in the first half, the Makasi was a changed man in the 2nd half, Carey and ??????Lamerias suddenly started to buzz around and look threatening.

Rovers were dangerous in attack but poor defensively, as for the moron's in block 18 what is the point, they don't watch the game, surely its £20 down the drain.

Good results with Scunny and Posh losing, Charlton drawing, onwards we go, but cant help feeling if we want the play offs Bradley needs to be back asap.

B

Bonehead

Definitely no boos at half time from the Lyndhurst. I didn’t hear any from elsewhere either???

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
The first half was an absolute sh*tshow. Worst i’ve seen us since this run began. The defence was all over the shop, Songo’o couldnt keep the ball in play, Matthews was playing like he’d had a few beers pre game, zero width, Makasi uninvolved, Carey & Lameiras in each others pocket all half. Honestly terrible. We were missing Bradley’s presence defensively and Sarcevic’s work rate in the middle.

Then we came out looking far more organised and up for it. Makasi finally got involved and gave us more balance, Carey & Lameiras started moving more intelligently to give us width, Songo’o all of a sudden looked like his life depended on the win and threw himself in front of everything. Whatever Derek said at HT worked a charm. All in all I’d say we deserved to edge it and Jamie Ness once again a clear man of the match for me, he was excellent.

Matthews - 4
Threlkeld - 7
Vyner - 8
Songo’o - 5
Sawyer - 6
Fox - 7
Makasi - 7
Ness - 9
Carey - 8
Lameiras - 7
Taylor - 6

Jun 14, 2004
Saltash
Rovers number 9 reminded me of Bobby Brown , very quick and attack focused.
The crowd seemed so quiet at times in the 1st half but more vocal in the 2nd.
To me a deserved win, but lets not start off like its a training game but im sure that is due
to missing a few key players today, good win and a very exciting game.