Brief Synopsis!!! (Bristol Rovers) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Bristol Rovers)

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
Non stop drama, some good play followed by some howlers throughout. Songo’o struggled as a left sided central defender against a good player in Harrison, but to his credit never gave up and “won” the decisive penalty.
Thought Ness and Vyner were outstanding and Matthews should have a few Guinness’s tonight and wake up in the morning, having forgotten about today's mare.
Vital win and onto Charlton - good times.

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
A great game today. I was enjoying it plenty at 2-2, which frankly I think would have been a fairer result, but to win it was fantastic.

Since relegation became less and less likely around the New Year,, I've been enjoying the season since for what it is-a massive bonus. Before this season started, I looked back at the Sturrock first season back in this league (8th place I believe?) and could only hope for something similar. Flirting with the playoffs, falling just short, but with promise for the following season.

That means I won't be crying into my beer if this team doesn't make the playoffs. They've already done us proud this season in my book. But it is looking more and more like this team has the mental strength and skill to get something from matches even when they're not at their best like today. And if they do get a playoff spot, that will be an incredible achievement.

Nov 4, 2012
Think that'll go down as a game I'll remember for a long time. The team spirit is incredible and there is no lack of talent either. I love this group of players!

Dec 26, 2010
Agree that Rovers looked a good side - that is until Argyle started competing and putting them under pressure, when they looked a lot less good. These are lads who have sufficient ability to earn a living as professionals, so they will look good if allowed to play relatively unchallenged.

Ness's second goal is probably more fairly described as an OG, following the defender's contact it took a massive deflection, but a good game for Jamie, nevertheless.

I'm not so sure that Matthews's problem was lack of confidence (as several posters have said); I'd say too much confidence. On both occasions that he hit the onrushing forward, he had plenty of time to clear, but in my view preferred to taunt him and try to show (unsuccessfully, as it turned out) what a waste of effort the closing down had been.

Mar 23, 2008
What a win and a great game, we didn't play that well but we showed real spirit after going behind twice and the penalty miss. Ness was outstanding, Makasi came good in the second half and Vyner was brilliant - he was vocally leading the back line and will follow Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan in going onto good things. Credit Songo for a spirited second half after a first half horror show. My big gripe was Remi Matthews who it seemed was playing for himself and too keen to show he's good with the ball at his feet, after the Pompey last up he hasn't learnt and to keep repeating the same mistake again and again isn't on. I would bring Letheren in last week if fit.

That said what a win, hugely impressed with Adams and the team he's created.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
On today's showing I would be very surprised if Vyner doesn't cut it at the top level. Has all the attributes to go a very long way.

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
the old cliché but a game of two halves. we are an absolute pile of it in the first half, epitomised by the 2nd goal that we gifted them after getting ourselves back in the game. We looked off the pace and having Songo'o at left CB is an issue - his left foot is worse than mine. Second half... bloody hell!!! we chased everything down, looked a yard quicker and put their defence under a lot more pressure. Carey was the leader in the constant chasing down and it seemed to rub off on the team. Must have been given a proper rocket at half time. Songo'o still had his moments but his last ditch defending is incredible and i'm sure he saved us a couple points towards the end.

would just like to clear up one thing. was sat in block 5 and I know I speak for everyone around me when I say the first one was never a penalty.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
No one's mentioned it but I will.

The wind at pitch level was really wild today, no surprise that we played not that well in the first half and far far better in the second.

A lot of the players mentioned it afterwards.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
IJN":25nrdbtx said:
No one's mentioned it but I will.

The wind at pitch level was really wild today, no surprise that we played not that well in the first half and far far better in the second.

A lot of the players mentioned it afterwards.

Same for both teams though Ian

Aug 5, 2016
What a massive three points.

I'm glad Carey shut up the pea brained critics who wanted him off penalties after a very good save by the Shrews keeper; as I warned before, be careful what you wish for. It's not often you get two penalties for Carey to show how much of a mistake it is to take him off them, but Newport away in the FA Cup should have been a lesson learnt.

Jan 8, 2018
Saltash
Jimmyd":17k95p0i said:
Booed off at half time? Seriously...

I would describe it more as an air of discontent than full on booing. We were pretty dreadful, harping back to pre Fleetwood style performance. Thankfully a half time rocket seemed to do the trick as we had a penalty and an equaliser within the first 5/6 minutes of the second half!

Jan 8, 2018
Saltash
Cobi Budge":13w8g433 said:
Both penalties were stonewall, lots of bitter Rovers fans around

Really? The first one Makasi went down like he'd been hit like a train when he was in fact tickled by a feather duster! No one around me could believe it was given. Justice then when the keeper saved it!?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Kevb77":ucmsd4i8 said:
Cobi Budge":ucmsd4i8 said:
Both penalties were stonewall, lots of bitter Rovers fans around

Really? The first one Makasi went down like he'd been hit like a train when he was in fact tickled by a feather duster! No one around me could believe it was given. Justice then when the keeper saved it!?
i agree.never a penalty.moses bought it.