Brief Synopsis!!! (Cambridge) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Cambridge)

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Old Gunner":3iv6x8oj said:
greybeard-kernow":3iv6x8oj said:
i do not know how some on here can write long reports on this game, are you bored? talking of bored, the game , 0-0, two toothless teams, most excitement was watching a seagull with a pasty in its beak, being chased by another thirty seagulls, god he had some moves and pace,,there you go ,short and sweet

No formation, no discipline...all chasing the one with the pasty...couldn't even take advantage when he dropped the ruddy thing!

I watched a different bird, chasing a sausage.

That was a tern for the wurst! :coat:

Tugboat

Cream First
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 24, 2007
Bristol Rich":xqfllwq3 said:
Tugboat":xqfllwq3 said:
Iā€™m a little perplexed.

Whilst Iā€™d admit it wasnā€™t a master piece of football it certainly wasnā€™t as bad as some are making out.

Maybe the standards have gone up that much?

We only had 1 shot on target all afternoon.
Which is the disappointment obviously but I think if we had got goal for our endeavours then a few others may have praised our build up play for what it was. We just lacked the knock out punch at the end.

Oct 1, 2013
My view from the family stand was that it was a pretty "meh" game!

Argyle had some joy in the first, particularly between Sawyer , Fadz and Major down the left.
The shame was that it was all a little too intricate, we seem to want to walk the ball in at times.
Major was decent today but his lack of end product is the exact reason he isn't a Championship player. The number of times where he carved himself an opening and then failed to take a shot was infuriating to watch.

Second half Cambridge figured out the system and pushed Edwards and Fadz back so we had no time to build. It was slow and lethargic which allowed Cambridge to press further up and create a few half chances.
We caused them problems when we played with more urgency and moved the ball quicker. Jephcott off was a strange one, personally I'd have liked Bakison off for Hardie, move Moore to the RWB and Edwards into the centre.

Have to applaud Lowe and the team for sticking at it and trying to play within the principles he is setting out but at times there needs to be a plan B... not sure we had that today.

May 1, 2011
Tugboat":2k5mmrh0 said:
Bristol Rich":2k5mmrh0 said:
Tugboat":2k5mmrh0 said:
Iā€™m a little perplexed.

Whilst Iā€™d admit it wasnā€™t a master piece of football it certainly wasnā€™t as bad as some are making out.

Maybe the standards have gone up that much?

We only had 1 shot on target all afternoon.
Which is the disappointment obviously but I think if we had got goal for our endeavours then a few others may have praised our build up play for what it was. We just lacked the knock out punch at the end.

Was our build up play that good? It seemed a lot of possession without purpose.

Aug 8, 2013
A few things we learned / reconfirmed today:

when McFadzean plays wing back, our attack becomes predictably
left-side biased. Not helped today by.....
Joe Edwards contributing very little going forward at right wing back.
Bakinson is a true bambi on ice. His "mazy run" at the end consisted of
a series of lucky rebounds, and he nearly fell over his own feet so often
that the ref probably concluded that he had.
Danny Mayor still has more to offer.
Telford is approximately 5' 7", and is not an ideal target for a high ball.
The word is out amongst League 2 refs not to award penalties against us.
11,500. Argyle's support is tremendous.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
The whole team looked jaded today. A consequence of the Saturday Tuesday Saturday routine, on some poor away pitches at times. At least they have a clear midweek this week and the week after the Macclesfield game. Cambridge came for a point and thatā€™s precisely what they got. Shame the boys couldnā€™t put on a good performance for a good home crowd, but we gained a point on the Urns, so at least there was something positive. I felt that was our worst home league performance for several months. I think Mayor was a underwhelming man of the match, but would like to see him being assertive at deadball situations. He rarely takes a free kick and yet he surely has more tricks in his locker than Sarce or Cooper.

demportdave

šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
One of those games where you could not see Argyle scoring and the longer it went, the more I feared a breakaway goal from them nicking the ball from us in our own half.

Canavan came closet with the header they cleared off the line in the first half and it was really disappointing that their Keeper never had a save to make in the second half, Telfordā€™s token shot on goal was barely more than a back pass.

There is a very obvious reluctance to shoot from around the edge of the box and attacking moves constantly break down with Argyle playing one pass too many. It is not helped when Byron Moore constantly runs away from goal back towards the halfway line to take a ball which he immediately plays back to Canavan or Bakinson. A player with his pace should sit on the shoulder of the last defender and look to get down the side of him.

Mayor worked very hard and tried to provide a spark but as we have seen all season, he always has 2 if not 3 opponents around him. Unfortunately, all season we have not been able to take advantage of the space this creates elsewhere because of the slowness of our passing and movement.

We have had 2 really good chances to break into the top 3 this week and we have not been good enough. Cheltenham play their game in hand at home on Tuesday and if they win, they will be right up behind us. Itā€™s going to get tighter and tighter going for that third place behind Swindon and Crewe and I donā€™t think we are quite strong enough.

We failed to adapt to the conditions at Macclesfield on Tuesday night and were indebted to Palmer to get a slightly fortunate point. Today, we looked pretty toothless trying to break down a very well drilled defence and might have been caught by a sucker goal on the break by a better team than Cambridge.

Neither the heavy pitch at Macclesfield or Cambridge setting up for a point can have been a surprise to Lowe, yet he could not come up with a winning formula for either game which is a concern. He is very one-dimensional and intransigent with his tactics. We are now at the business end of the season where itā€™s all about results. We have to come up with a game plan that works.

If we miss narrowly miss promotion, nobody will be saying ā€œbut at least we stuck to our principles.ā€

In Argyleā€™s defence, they have had quite a difficult Month with the number of games played and the distances travelled, but so have Swindon, Crewe and everyone else. Hopefully, with a long-weekend break and with no mid-week game, the players will be fresh again next Saturday at Bradford.

Feb 10, 2019
greenking83":3507cx6q said:

Argyle had some joy in the first, particularly between Sawyer , Fadz and Major down the left.
The shame was that it was all a little too intricate, we seem to want to walk the ball in at times.
Major was decent today but his lack of end product is the exact reason he isn't a Championship player. The number of times where he carved himself an opening and then failed to take a shot was infuriating to watch.

Second half Cambridge figured out the system and pushed Edwards and Fadz back so we had no time to build. It was slow and lethargic which allowed Cambridge to press further up and create a few half chances.
We caused them problems when we played with more urgency and moved the ball quicker. Jephcott off was a strange one, personally I'd have liked Bakison off for Hardie, move Moore to the RWB and Edwards into the centre.

Have to applaud Lowe and the team for sticking at it and trying to play within the principles he is setting out but at times there needs to be a plan B... not sure we had that today.

This is pretty spot on for me. When we played at a higher pace, we looked a better side and more capable of creating something. There were times when we needed the front two to come off their markers and receive the ball in to feet but the ball continually went down the channels. There were also times when we were trying to build from the back that players were walking around and looking lost. We certainly lacked a plan B today.

Oct 1, 2013
Leigham Green":1s2n98q2 said:
greenking83":1s2n98q2 said:

This is pretty spot on for me. When we played at a higher pace, we looked a better side and more capable of creating something. There were times when we needed the front two to come off their markers and receive the ball in to feet but the ball continually went down the channels. There were also times when we were trying to build from the back that players were walking around and looking lost. We certainly lacked a plan B today.

And that was it, Cambridge had a gameplan to sit 2 banks of 4 very deep and stop Argyle playing at any pace, because for all the build-up play down the left by the time the cross comes in they are all set for it.

Moore and Jephcott's game is all about pace and movement... they ain't gunna win many standup heading battles with League 2 blood and snot centre backs.
Dare I say it.... it's the kind of game for a Ryan Taylor! :shifty:

Jul 12, 2016
demportdave":358t4xxh said:
One of those games where you could not see Argyle scoring and the longer it went, the more I feared a breakaway goal from them nicking the ball from us in our own half.

Canavan came closet with the header they cleared off the line in the first half and it was really disappointing that their Keeper never had a save to make in the second half, Telfordā€™s token shot on goal was barely more than a back pass.

There is a very obvious reluctance to shoot from around the edge of the box and attacking moves constantly break down with Argyle playing one pass too many. It is not helped when Byron Moore constantly runs away from goal back towards the halfway line to take a ball which he immediately plays back to Canavan or Bakinson. A player with his pace should sit on the shoulder of the last defender and look to get down the side of him.

Mayor worked very hard and tried to provide a spark but as we have seen all season, he always has 2 if not 3 opponents around him. Unfortunately, all season we have not been able to take advantage of the space this creates elsewhere because of the slowness of our passing and movement.

We have had 2 really good chances to break into the top 3 this week and we have not been good enough. Cheltenham play their game in hand at home on Tuesday and if they win, they will be right up behind us. Itā€™s going to get tighter and tighter going for that third place behind Swindon and Crewe and I donā€™t think we are quite strong enough.

We failed to adapt to the conditions at Macclesfield on Tuesday night and were indebted to Palmer to get a slightly fortunate point. Today, we looked pretty toothless trying to break down a very well drilled defence and might have been caught by a sucker goal on the break by a better team than Cambridge.

Neither the heavy pitch at Macclesfield or Cambridge setting up for a point can have been a surprise to Lowe, yet he could not come up with a winning formula for either game which is a concern. He is very one-dimensional and intransigent with his tactics. We are now at the business end of the season where itā€™s all about results. We have to come up with a game plan that works.

If we miss narrowly miss promotion, nobody will be saying ā€œbut at least we stuck to our principles.ā€

In Argyleā€™s defence, they have had quite a difficult Month with the number of games played and the distances travelled, but so have Swindon, Crewe and everyone else. Hopefully, with a long-weekend break and with no mid-week game, the players will be fresh again next Saturday at Bradford.
Spot on. :thumbup:

Tynan One Nil

šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 23, 2013
So the Lg2 form team comes to town with an outside chance of a charge to play offs, in front of 11.5k expectant fans...

Enter a team that plays with zero ambition to do anything but park the bus - thatā€™s why it is so important to leave this damn League at the first time of asking.

Mayor still managed to shine. One to forget.

smudja

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Dec 29, 2005
Glenrothes
Cambridge parked the bus and did a Good job on us and in particular Danny Mayor who was continually shepherded into his useless left foot.

Been crying out for Mayor to have a shot but he always seems to want an extra touch whereas his predecessor who have a go.

Plus point Northampton won