Brief Synopsis!!! (Grimsby) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Grimsby)

Jul 14, 2008
It is utterly bizarre that so many people can’t look beyond Ryan Lowe’s throw away comment about him being better than Carey. He’s clearly been one of our better players and he is so good at moving the ball forward from defence to attack quickly.

Jul 17, 2011
one player who i thought was terrific yesterday and doesn't get a mention is Scott Wootton, he made countless headers and made a goal saving challenge on the line.
The issue that him and NC have, is that they both lack any pace, so they don't compliment each other all that well ( especially when sawyer plays who is even slower! ).....fair play to the lad for bucking down, he's saved his career this season.

All in all yesterday a great win against a surprisingly disorganised Grimsby side. 2 perfect games you feel for Sarce to miss and rest up!

Jun 27, 2019
driscollberg":3kohcyq2 said:
one player who i thought was terrific yesterday and doesn't get a mention is Scott Wootton, he made countless headers and made a goal saving challenge on the line.
The issue that him and NC have, is that they both lack any pace, so they don't compliment each other all that well ( especially when sawyer plays who is even slower! ).....fair play to the lad for bucking down, he's saved his career this season

Think it's more a case of finding his level. He's a half decent League Two defender but will never be any more than that because he's too slow and prone to ball-watching.

If we go up this season then fair play, he will have been a big part of that, but if we want to push on in League One then we'll need major surgery on that back three.

May 16, 2016
Cobi Budge":3bs1n687 said:
"All I can say is well done to Plymouth. They're a very good team and we're nowhere near as good as them at the minute. We tried to press them, tried to close them, but to be honest I got my team selection wrong. They were better than I thought they were."

Compare those post match comments with whinging Artell's, fair play Ollie.

I think Ollie got it wrong, apparently we're not even a good Team. What does he know anyway ?

Like watching Sheffield United he said, he must be deluded surely ;)

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
Bit surprised to jump on here this morning and see a fair bit of negativity. I thought the result was reassuring - 3 clear goals ahead at the end of 90 minutes for the first time since January 11th at Carlisle, first time 3 goals clear at home since Morecambe on December 14.

Much more like it. Recently its felt like the play offs are nailed on and then suddenly its top 3 again. All to play for then. I'm enjoying this season more than the DA promotion campaign too, despite a few up and down performances.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I wouldn’t say Mayor is a disappointment. That implies he is not playing well. I would say he has underwhelmed slightly, but more so due to everyone expecting him to be a player that he isn’t. More goals would be nice, but he has never been a big goal scorer. He’s a creator.

As for last nights game, Bakinson was excellent, as was Hardie. Conor Grant gave us some extra control in midfield. I thought Cooper was a bit wasteful, even if some of his deliveries were excellent.

Much needed three points though. If we get another 3 on Saturday the table starts to look much more positive than a week ago. Keep going boys :thumbup:

May 7, 2019
Been thinking about doing one of these for a while so thought I would give you a view from the Devonport End… though unfortunately, most of the action seemed to be down the other end of the pitch!

Alex Palmer (6) On the whole not much to do but is a very reassuring presence in goal. I just wish he wasn’t so prudent in his distribution sometimes – Argyle could have hit Grimsby on the break on numerous occasions. Took some good crosses with safe handling.

George Cooper (7) The Assist King is back! Good performance from Coops going forward with good link-up play. However, his defensive frailties were exposed by Grimsby on more than one occasion in the second half – players skip past him way too easily. Surprised that he did not hit the target with his free kick.

Callum McFadzean (6) Solid performance from McFadzean in a LCB role. He works well with Cooper and the two interacted well. He appeared to take over the throw-ins from Cooper as achieves a better distance with his throws? I liked his no-nonsense approach to defending on occasions. However, there always seems to be a risk of McFadzean giving away a penalty? He almost accomplished this in the first half in seeming to take an age to fall over!

Niall Canavan (8) A captain’s performance from Canavan and he continues to look our most assured defender. He looks a top quality defender at this level and is rarely beaten by opposing players. Dominant in the air and made some effective passes.

Scott Wootton (7) After being harshly judged at Bradford, I thought Wootton had a good game vs Grimsby. He was very tidy and his distribution seemed OK. He looked pretty good when moving forward also.

Byron Moore (7) One of the best Argyle players this season and incredibly consistent given that he gets moved around the pitch within most matches. The fact that he has pace to burn is a constant life-saver to Argyle in both halves. He continues to shine in RL’s system.

Tyreeq Bakinson (9) A dominant performance from the loanee after a few below-par performances. He seemed to be involved in everything and it was no surprise that he scored a great midfielder’s goal along with a brilliant assist to set Hardie away for the second. When he’s fired up, he’s a great player at this level.

Conor Grant (8) The most energetic performance I have seen from Grant in an Argyle shirt – he seemed to be channelling the energy of Sarcevic in the midfield. Conor was very composed on the ball and his class shone through in this game. Perhaps his inconsistency is more due to the way the opposition is set up than Conor himself?

Danny Mayor (6) Often unfairly treated by Argyle fans, I think that Danny provides a lot more to the Argyle team than he gets credit for. He works hard with and without the ball and is often involved in Argyle’s forward moves in some capacity. This was a quiet evening for Mayor and I’d love to see a return to his swashbuckling days of earlier in the season, e.g. vs Salford (H).

Ryan Hardie (8) Took his goal brilliantly and his pace and movement were a constant issue for the Grimsby defence to cope with. This was the best performance I have seen from Hardie when he has started a game. Unlucky not to have scored more goals and crashed a great shot off the post.

Luke Jephcott (8) Every time I see Jephcott, he seems to be getting better and better – fitter, stronger, faster. His pace off the mark can be electric. Scored a good poacher’s goal (probably!) and I desperately wanted to see him smash the volley in the net in the 2nd half but it wasn’t to be and hit the bar. If he keeps improving at this rate then Argyle will have a very fine young talent on their books.

SUBS
Joe Edwards (6) Played well and gave some defensive stability with Byron Moore moving to LWB to replace Cooper. How did he miss that chance though?

Ryan Taylor (5) The usual energetic performance from Ryan. He can be so indecisive in the penalty area however – had a half-chance in the inside-left position and should have smashed it with his left foot (as he did against Walsall) but instead turned away from goal. Hardie would have smashed it! You need that killer instinct from your strikers.

Dom Telford (N/A) Came on as the final sub very late on. May have touched the ball? Maybe once?

Overall, I felt that this was a solid performance against a decent Grimsby side who are improving under Ollie’s leadership. We have failed to beat similar teams this season at home – Crawley, Oldham, Scunthorpe, Salford etc. So the win was the most important thing. Argyle were a bit disappointing in the second-half but I can understand the players taking their foot off the pedal as they were 3-0 up at half-time and had played through a gruelling mud-wrestling match with Bradford three days earlier. Should have probably scored 4 or 5 however – Edwards missed a sitter and the woodwork will likely need a touch-up of paint from other strikes. Looking forward to another three points on Saturday. COYG :scarf:

May 16, 2016
I particularly enjoyed the moment in the Game where right in front of the Lyndhurst, 3 Argyle Players played a really neat triangle set of passes in the tightest of spots to effectively get and keep the Ball away from 3 Grimsby Players, it looked like one of those warm up routines pre match.

Just a small moment in the Game but it just exuded confidence and belief in themselves and each other.

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
Guiri Green":33j64ith said:
I particularly enjoyed the moment in the Game where right in front of the Lyndhurst, 3 Argyle Players played a really neat triangle set of passes in the tightest of spots to effectively get and keep the Ball away from 3 Grimsby Players, it looked like one of those warm up routines pre match.

Just a small moment in the Game but it just exuded confidence and belief in themselves and each other.
Totally agree, I was watching on ifollow and that exchange was great to watch.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
So do we stick with the 3-4–1-2 formation for the next game?

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
As a lot of Argyle players are getting MOM,or just good reviews,i would like to mention Canavan as a contender for MOM,he did not score but created Jephcotts' goal,but for me he was just great at winning it seemed,all his headers that came his way,very solid and commanding.

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
Andy_S":b5tq3wsp said:
Doyley43":b5tq3wsp said:
Monster Green":b5tq3wsp said:
edengreen":b5tq3wsp said:
Cobi Budge":b5tq3wsp said:
Gary S":b5tq3wsp said:
Danny Mayor is a disappointment.

Ridiculously harsh. We’re 3rd in the league and he’s played a big part in that, just because he isn’t scoring screamers on a weekly basis doesn’t mean he’s not contributing.
That is harsh ! Based on probable wages and billing at Bury last season I would say disappointing is correct
Contributing I would agree he is but not as the star man he is billed

I think Major gave the ball away once, an overhit pass in the second half. He carries the ball excellently, and drags players with him generating space for others. What is disappointing is his returns in terms of goals and assists, but does that really matter when you're third and the goals are coming from other areas? Not for me it doesn't

I wish people would get off Mayor’s back! He’s a superb player and we would suffer without him.

Bakinson did ok but he is far too weak and gets knocked off the ball far too easily. This will cost us goals just like it did at Macclesfield. I think he needs to beef up and get stronger

It seems are fans just love to jump on the bandwagon and have a go a player. Mayor is an asset in this team but just because he doesn’t score goals some fans have a go but he gives so much more in creative play

Read your previous paragraph...it's exactly what you are doing...having a go at a player.

How many goals did Bakinson cost us last night? Scored one, assist on one and just "ok"?

Aug 24, 2014
Buckingham
TheBoldman":hgmx9sdh said:
Been thinking about doing one of these for a while so thought I would give you a view from the Devonport End… though unfortunately, most of the action seemed to be down the other end of the pitch!

Alex Palmer (6) On the whole not much to do but is a very reassuring presence in goal. I just wish he wasn’t so prudent in his distribution sometimes – Argyle could have hit Grimsby on the break on numerous occasions. Took some good crosses with safe handling.

George Cooper (7) The Assist King is back! Good performance from Coops going forward with good link-up play. However, his defensive frailties were exposed by Grimsby on more than one occasion in the second half – players skip past him way too easily. Surprised that he did not hit the target with his free kick.

Callum McFadzean (6) Solid performance from McFadzean in a LCB role. He works well with Cooper and the two interacted well. He appeared to take over the throw-ins from Cooper as achieves a better distance with his throws? I liked his no-nonsense approach to defending on occasions. However, there always seems to be a risk of McFadzean giving away a penalty? He almost accomplished this in the first half in seeming to take an age to fall over!

Niall Canavan (8) A captain’s performance from Canavan and he continues to look our most assured defender. He looks a top quality defender at this level and is rarely beaten by opposing players. Dominant in the air and made some effective passes.

Scott Wootton (7) After being harshly judged at Bradford, I thought Wootton had a good game vs Grimsby. He was very tidy and his distribution seemed OK. He looked pretty good when moving forward also.

Byron Moore (7) One of the best Argyle players this season and incredibly consistent given that he gets moved around the pitch within most matches. The fact that he has pace to burn is a constant life-saver to Argyle in both halves. He continues to shine in RL’s system.

Tyreeq Bakinson (9) A dominant performance from the loanee after a few below-par performances. He seemed to be involved in everything and it was no surprise that he scored a great midfielder’s goal along with a brilliant assist to set Hardie away for the second. When he’s fired up, he’s a great player at this level.

Conor Grant (8) The most energetic performance I have seen from Grant in an Argyle shirt – he seemed to be channelling the energy of Sarcevic in the midfield. Conor was very composed on the ball and his class shone through in this game. Perhaps his inconsistency is more due to the way the opposition is set up than Conor himself?

Danny Mayor (6) Often unfairly treated by Argyle fans, I think that Danny provides a lot more to the Argyle team than he gets credit for. He works hard with and without the ball and is often involved in Argyle’s forward moves in some capacity. This was a quiet evening for Mayor and I’d love to see a return to his swashbuckling days of earlier in the season, e.g. vs Salford (H).

Ryan Hardie (8) Took his goal brilliantly and his pace and movement were a constant issue for the Grimsby defence to cope with. This was the best performance I have seen from Hardie when he has started a game. Unlucky not to have scored more goals and crashed a great shot off the post.

Luke Jephcott (8) Every time I see Jephcott, he seems to be getting better and better – fitter, stronger, faster. His pace off the mark can be electric. Scored a good poacher’s goal (probably!) and I desperately wanted to see him smash the volley in the net in the 2nd half but it wasn’t to be and hit the bar. If he keeps improving at this rate then Argyle will have a very fine young talent on their books.

SUBS
Joe Edwards (6) Played well and gave some defensive stability with Byron Moore moving to LWB to replace Cooper. How did he miss that chance though?

Ryan Taylor (5) The usual energetic performance from Ryan. He can be so indecisive in the penalty area however – had a half-chance in the inside-left position and should have smashed it with his left foot (as he did against Walsall) but instead turned away from goal. Hardie would have smashed it! You need that killer instinct from your strikers.

Dom Telford (N/A) Came on as the final sub very late on. May have touched the ball? Maybe once?

Overall, I felt that this was a solid performance against a decent Grimsby side who are improving under Ollie’s leadership. We have failed to beat similar teams this season at home – Crawley, Oldham, Scunthorpe, Salford etc. So the win was the most important thing. Argyle were a bit disappointing in the second-half but I can understand the players taking their foot off the pedal as they were 3-0 up at half-time and had played through a gruelling mud-wrestling match with Bradford three days earlier. Should have probably scored 4 or 5 however – Edwards missed a sitter and the woodwork will likely need a touch-up of paint from other strikes. Looking forward to another three points on Saturday. COYG :scarf:

Excellent analysis / reporting. Great stuff thanks Boldman.