Brief Synopsis!!! (Macclesfield) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Macclesfield)

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
TheBoldman":qv56tdzf said:
Two 3-0 victories in a single week and things are looking much better for Argyle. I received some nice feedback regarding my last match review so I thought I would give you all another View from the Devonport End…

Alex Palmer (7) Palmer continues to make very important saves when called upon. He is remarkably effective at saving one-on-ones and his handling was also very good on Saturday. His distribution was solid throughout the game, and he threw the ball out to the wing to set up a counter-attack on one occasion… something that I have wanted him to do for a long time! More of this expeditious distribution please!

Scott Wooton (8) It was a game of two halves for Wooton and he struggled somewhat in the first half, although it should be said that he is often the CB who ends up with the ball at his feet and an opposing player closing him down at pace. Whether that was a pattern of the game, or by design, I do feel that he often shoulders the most pressure of the three CBs in having to create something. However, after a fairly error-prone first-half, Wooton was immense in the second-half making an incredible goal-line clearance to protect Argyle’s lead, and also making very important and determined challenges including one to set up Argyle’s third goal.

Niall Canavan (8) Two very effective games as Argyle’s captain and Canavan continues to look a very good player at this level indeed. He did not seem at all disturbed by Ironside and comfortably dealt with most of Macclesfield’s attacks whether on the ground or in the air. There is a case for him to remain as captain until Sawyer returns to the first team. On the basis of recent performances, Canavan could clearly make the jump to League One football in this system.

Callum McFadzean (7) Another solid performance from McFadzean in an unfamiliar role. He seemed more comfortable in this match than on Tuesday night and, thankfully, did not have any awkward penalty incidents in his own area. He is comfortable moving forward, as you would expect from a LWB, but sadly did not do so very often and it does feel that there is a missed opportunity for him to link up with Mayor and Cooper further up the pitch.

Byron Moore (6) A quiet game for Byron where things did not quite work out for him, although not for the lack of trying. Moore and Mayor are probably Argyle’s most effective attackers when running with the ball at their feet from deep and Moore plays an important role in moving possession into the opponent’s half. However, he did give the ball away on occasion and there was no end-product on Saturday so a fairly average performance on reflection.

George Cooper (9) Two fantastic goals and an assist… there could only be one man of the match and that is Cooper. The pass for Hardie’s goal was a delight and the link-up play with Mayor is constantly improving. Cooper scored two excellent goals, one with each foot, and the obvious delight from the loanee energised the crowd. He was better defensively against Macclesfield than Grimsby with only a few uncomfortable moments so credit to him for his work-rate as well as his skill.

Conor Grant (6) A quiet but effective game for Conor. He has delivered two very energetic performances for Argyle in a week and has brought this element of Sarcevic’s game to complement his own skills. When Macclesfield were threatening to break on occasion, it was a green number 15 shirt that could often be spotted making up the ground quickly to close down the opposing player. Conor had a few half-chances to shoot and could have done better but was solid overall. Lowe has a difficult decision to make at Morecambe on whether to bring Sarcevic back in to the side – this may depend more on the opposition as we all know how DA is likely to set up his side! - and Sarce is unquestionably the more powerful player.

Tyreeq Bakinson (6) A similar performance from Bakinson as he was mostly effective with possession and worked hard to close the opposition down when Argyle did not have the ball. However, Bakinson is certainly not as defensively sound as some of Argyle’s other midfielders and this can lead to chances for the opposition. His height helps in both penalty areas though, and he continues to be a threat from corners and free-kicks.

Danny Mayor (8) Given the undeserved criticism that Mayor receives from a select group of Argyle supporters, I feel like awarding him an 11/10. However, retaining an objective view, Mayor receives an 8/10. His consistent contributions to Argyle attacks and goals cannot be ignored – Mayor is often the instigator of Argyle attacks with smart passing and strong dribbling. He is often the assistor of the assistor (if that makes sense!), drawing opposition players in and making space for other Argyle players. His link-up play with Cooper on Saturday was a delight. For such a skilful player, his work-rate is also excellent, with and without the ball.

Luke Jephcott (6) A quiet game for Luke although he made life for the Macclesfield defenders very difficult throughout the afternoon. Jephcott had a few half-chances to score but every game he plays for Argyle is clearly allowing him to grow into the role, and he has formed a very exciting partnership with Hardie up front. There will be more goals to come from Jephcott and credit must be given to RL and his staff for identifying Jephcott as a prospect and recalling him from Truro.

Ryan Hardie (7) Hardie’s movement off the ball is excellent and opposing defenders have a tough time in keeping him from the ball, particularly when he makes runs down the channels. He is a natural finisher and this was clear for all to see when he scored his goal – he made the finish look easy when, in reality, it required a deft touch with the goalkeeper and an opposing defender in close proximity. Other strikers would have panicked and the ball would have ended up in the Devonport End. What a find Hardie has been! He actually scored two goals, I think. On that note, Hardie could have had two further goals this week but for close goal-line decisions – Jephcott was awarded the goal vs Grimsby on Tuesday (correctly so, I believe) and Hardie was not awarded a goal vs Macclesfield that appeared to go over the line. Credit to the Macclesfield goalkeeper though for a great “save”.

SUBS – Not much to report. Dom Telford had a run-out, Jarvis Cleal made his Argyle first-team debut, and Adam Randell came on for a rare appearance. Of the three players, Randell looked assured in possession and caught the eye.

Make no mistake, Macclesfield came to play and great credit must be given to their manager and players for their performance under very difficult circumstances. It was easy to see why Argyle struggled to a 1-1 draw at Moss Rose. However, Argyle were the dominant side throughout and Mark Kennedy’s post-match comments regarding the balance of play must be taken as a clear effort to boost his side’s morale as they certainly would not have been the views of a neutral. Statistics do not always tell the whole story but Argyle’s 26 shots to The Silkmen’s 9 shots is about correct as per the balance of play.

Argyle are looking good as we move in to Fergie’s “squeaky bum time”. Two away games now against lower-table opposition gives Argyle a great opportunity to consolidate an automatic promotion place; especially given that some of our rivals have tougher games on paper. RL’s team selections will be very interesting but, so long as the pitches are better than Valley Parade, and Argyle keep 11 men on the pitch, we should see some very positive results. COYG! :scarf:
I'm not always keen on the lengthier posts but this is excellent stuff. It just shows that a long post that is a report of what actually happened is so much superior to some of the long-winded, tactical masterclasses that go on and on about what didn't happen or what should have happened. Great stuff and I look forward to more of the same. Well done Boldman

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Echo that; really useful especially when not able to have been at the match, Thank you TheBoldman

Aug 16, 2008
Good report Boldman. Thanks.

I think that the reason Wooton plays out more from the back is the lack of options for him on the right. On the left Cooper and/or Mayor always seem to be available for a short pass. On the right, it doesn’t happen so much, causing Wooton to play longer passes - often effectively.

Also, I’d like to see Byron pin his ears back and attack the full back a bit more. He’s quick and has a great delivery but often seems to want to hold up the ball and play it infield.

Fingers crossed things are falling into place for the final push!