Brief Synopsis Northampton | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis Northampton

Aug 15, 2015
Balham_Green":1z4gqw7w said:
Shoenice":1z4gqw7w said:
I don’t harp on about the same thing time and time again. This mayor good/bad has been done.

Weapon

You do actually.

You bring it up virtually every single game. What do you even know about your ridiculous 3-4-4-2-3-4-2 formation or whatever it is that you always suggest? As though you sit with a whiteboard and mark out how this grand plan works. Absolutely fanciful, fantasy league thinking. I'd expect that from a 12 year old. And I'm a weapon. Look in the mirror.

Yeah I agree your 3-4-4-2-3-4-2 is a little fanciful, fantasy league thinking.

My proposal was 4-3-3 or a 3-1-4-1-1. Really not that difficult to understand but you stick to your 22 man team proposal :crazy:

And yes, you certainly are a weapon. Of great calibre in-fact.

Enjoy your evening.

3-1-4-1-1. Genuine question - what makes you think that? That it's better than what we have now? I mean, 3-1-4-1-1 is very specific, so specific, where do you even get the idea from? Unless you are involved in football and have taken coaching badges and whatever else, then with all due respect, I sincerely doubt you have any real understanding of what you are actually saying. There's very little substance behind your weekly formation comments. Unless you are in football yourself, what do you even know about that formation beyond some fanciful idea of what it may look like in your head? So yes, it is hard to understand.

Doesn't sound particularly 'fanciful' to me. In fact its not far from what we are actually playing. 1 anchor man in front of back 3. Then 4 players who are in effect Midfielders(2 wide). So rather than 2 up front its 1 off 1 which often happens in practice anyway. You dont need coaching badges to get that. As we heard on Saturday with Sean McCartney ex professionals are not necessarily that knowledgeable anyway.

Never said all ex-pros are knowledgable either. What I was implying was, could Tugboat explain what that 3-1-4-1-1 means when we are on the ball? Off the ball? Could he explain how the team operates in both phases? Does the back line press high? Do the midfield sit tight to the backline and create a lack of space between the lines? What is the role of the wing back? Which player tucks in when the opposition have the ball? I could pull up 20 questions without even thinking - and he has no clue about any of those things. It just sounds good to him. I just think it is incredibly fickle of football supporters to go 'oh well we play 3-5-2 but I think we should go for 3-1-4-1-1'. Like what do you even know?

What do you know? What makes you so knowledgeable?
'What is the role of the wing back?' Duuuh. Hardly University Challenge is it?

What do I know? What makes me so knowledgable? I'm not & I'm not claiming to! That's because I'm not a fickle football fan who thinks with such a baseless thought process. Tugboat makes it sound so simple & straightforward, as thought 2+2=4. But it's of course nowhere near that simple, so I have no idea why he says it like that. If it was so easy and straightforward as suggested, Ryan Lowe would obviously be doing it. Tugboat puts it across as though it's the secret recipe and it's a better formation for us - but what is that actually founded on?

My opinions include objective information and looks at the bigger picture. I don't come out with substanceless rubbish that fickle fans tend to come out with. So when I see a fan suggest 3-1-4-1-1 because 'we can put Mayor in the hole and that will create space for our full backs', I just think that person is a bit of an idiot for thinking he can see something beyond the vision of the professional coaching staff, and as though they cannot see the picture that Tugboat sees. You're not talking about being able to recognise a competent footballer, or a really bad one. Anyone can see Lionel Messi is unbelievable. But in Tugboat's case he's actually suggesting a complex formation, a formation I doubt he knows a single thing about, and believing that he knows how that impacts the rest of the team whilst being sure that it is a better solution than the current setup. That's a really ballsy thing for a football fan to say, in my opinion. The reality is, Tugboat doesn't have a genuine picture in his head of how a 3-1-4-1-1 formation reflects and in truth, he probably doesn't understand what he's saying when he says that, but that's the fickleness of football supporters.

So I don't know anything special, nor am I knowledgable. I just don't spew rubbish. What I concluded with Mayor was not just based on what I saw, but I made a judgement on him based on his age, career, some high level stats. I took into account what Championship clubs spend, that a relegation fodder club like Barnsley fork out £1.3mn on midfielders. I then assessed whether I thought taking into account everything, clubs higher up the ladder would take a chance on Mayor (given that Cobi thinks that a whole host of Championship clubs would queue up to sign him - another fickle football supporter), and I came to my own conclusion that that wouldn't be the case. At least my opinions are considered.