Brief Synopsis Northampton | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis Northampton

Aug 17, 2005
PL2 3DQ":igvuwgb2 said:
I think Mayor's lack of goals is the way he scores goals, both his goals for us have been to cut inside and fire away a right foot shot, in fact most of his attempts at scoring are exactly that.
He's not going to score a two yard tap in or a far post header. Once the opposition push him wider onto his left foot the goal scoring opportunity is gone.

His real worth to the team is assisting the assister! Drawing opposition players in, picking a pass to leave Cooper etc free to provide a cross or lay off for a goal.

One of the reasons I have been advocating him being tried on the right hand side in Grants place.

Dreamgreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
signalspast":3to22tgi said:
PL2 3DQ":3to22tgi said:
I think Mayor's lack of goals is the way he scores goals, both his goals for us have been to cut inside and fire away a right foot shot, in fact most of his attempts at scoring are exactly that.
He's not going to score a two yard tap in or a far post header. Once the opposition push him wider onto his left foot the goal scoring opportunity is gone.

His real worth to the team is assisting the assister! Drawing opposition players in, picking a pass to leave Cooper etc free to provide a cross or lay off for a goal.

One of the reasons I have been advocating him being tried on the right hand side in Grants place.

I would be reluctant to switch him away from his partnership with Cooper on the left. Whether Mayor scores or not , many of our goals come from the left hand side, and as Posty points out, Mayor often is the player who gets the ball to Cooper who makes the assist.

Jul 18, 2011
Exactly. You need a threat and players who work well together on both flanks and Mayor and Cooper do that on the right and Moore and Grant on the left. And don’t forget that whilst teams are putting 2 and 3 players on Mayor it leaves more space for the other attackers.

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Sometimes stats just dont tell the full story.

How many goals do we score from free kicks/corners (Coopers assist tally suggests a fair few) that were won because Mayor turned defence into attack with a run or dribble?

Making space for others is something that is absolutely priceless and golden the higher up you go in the football tiers. It cannot be measured by any statistic, but is crucial to the success on many players around you.

Mayor is a very good player, possibly our best - some see it, some dont, but this thread is the very reason i post less and less these days.

Sep 6, 2006
I recognize Mayor's value just find him frustrating. He obviously has the ability. But why can he not deliver when he gets in to the box? Does he get a mental block or something? Anyway he aint as good as Cobi suggests. Sounds like a bit of 'man love' going on there.

Jul 12, 2016
WoodsyGreen":3rqio5kq said:
oldage":3rqio5kq said:
up_the_line":3rqio5kq said:
The kind of football fan who doesn't rate Mayor probably also didn't rate Steve McCall
'he didn't score? Oh he must've been crap then'
I don't think any fan is suggesting that Mayor is carp.He is without doubt a talented footballer . The criticism being levied is because his mazey runs and trickery whilst good to watch often amount to very little. He is inclined to try to beat an opponent one more time than needed and lose us possession.
IMO he is a frustrating player to watch, He rarely lives up to the hype RL bestowed on him.

As has been pointed out in here at least a couple thousand times since. It's gone way past the broken record stage.
You could help by not commenting!

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
Even a lot of the great David Norris's runs came to nothing,but he was still exciting to watch,and was essential to Argyle for getting forward.

Jun 27, 2019
oldage":1jz73hq3 said:
WoodsyGreen":1jz73hq3 said:
oldage":1jz73hq3 said:
up_the_line":1jz73hq3 said:
The kind of football fan who doesn't rate Mayor probably also didn't rate Steve McCall
I don't think any fan is suggesting that Mayor is carp.He is without doubt a talented footballer . The criticism being levied is because his mazey runs and trickery whilst good to watch often amount to very little. He is inclined to try to beat an opponent one more time than needed and lose us possession.
IMO he is a frustrating player to watch, He rarely lives up to the hype RL bestowed on him.

As has been pointed out in here at least a couple thousand times since. It's gone way past the broken record stage.

It wasn't me who brought it up. Those who keep doing so need to stop - it's incredibly tedious.

Sep 6, 2006
WoodsyGreen":3olklkit said:
oldage":3olklkit said:
WoodsyGreen":3olklkit said:
oldage":3olklkit said:
up_the_line":3olklkit said:

It wasn't me who brought it up. Those who keep doing so need to stop - it's incredibly tedious.

when did you become a moderator?

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
rongreenblood":2dp27f4a said:
Even a lot of the great David Norris's runs came to nothing,but he was still exciting to watch,and was essential to Argyle for getting forward.

Best engine I've seen at Argyle in 45 years of going. Still motoring now for Lancaster I believe scoring at the weekend.

Jul 12, 2016
Ponty":30s8vi76 said:
rongreenblood":30s8vi76 said:

Best engine I've seen at Argyle in 45 years of going. Still motoring now for Lancaster I believe scoring at the weekend.
What a player he was!

Jun 27, 2019
Balham_Green":5yrhvmpl said:
WoodsyGreen":5yrhvmpl said:
oldage":5yrhvmpl said:
WoodsyGreen":5yrhvmpl said:
oldage":5yrhvmpl said:
up_the_line":5yrhvmpl said:

when did you become a moderator?

I'm undercover.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Shoenice":2lqce6ww said:
Tugboat":2lqce6ww said:
Shoenice":2lqce6ww said:
Tugboat":2lqce6ww said:
Getting boring now guys

And your posts about tweaking formation to some 3-4-5-2-4-5-3-2 are riveting :think:

I don’t harp on about the same thing time and time again. This mayor good/bad has been done.

Weapon

You do actually.

You bring it up virtually every single game. What do you even know about your ridiculous 3-4-4-2-3-4-2 formation or whatever it is that you always suggest? As though you sit with a whiteboard and mark out how this grand plan works. Absolutely fanciful, fantasy league thinking. I'd expect that from a 12 year old. And I'm a weapon. Look in the mirror.

Yeah I agree your 3-4-4-2-3-4-2 is a little fanciful, fantasy league thinking.

My proposal was 4-3-3 or a 3-1-4-1-1. Really not that difficult to understand but you stick to your 22 man team proposal :crazy:

And yes, you certainly are a weapon. Of great calibre in-fact.

Enjoy your evening.