Brief Synopsis Northampton | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis Northampton

Aug 15, 2015
Cobi Budge":1kvrw30z said:
oldage":1kvrw30z said:
Guiri Green":1kvrw30z said:
If Mayor could stop trying to beat "just one more" in the way Carey used to, I think he'd be more productive for the team. He can do his mazey runs but we often lose possession at the end of it. If he could score more, he'd be somewhere else.

One interesting point I'm sure I heard in comms yesterday was we've had several different scorers. Last time I recall that was with Sturrock. A team that can share the goals is better than relying on individuals.
It is this "trying to beat just one more " which I also do not understand. As a matter of interest if Mayor is so good how come nobody, to the best of my knowledge , has tried to sign him?

He was offered a contract at Ipswich but came to us instead. It's very clear that he enjoys playing under Ryan Lowe, I think he could comfortably play in the bottom half of the championship if he wanted to, and there would be plenty of clubs willing to sign him.

Plenty of clubs willing to sign him? Again, talking complete nonsense. Usually those players in L1/L2 have rumours hanging over their heads for ages. The likes of Marriott, Toney, Maddison, Oztumer etc etc If Mayor was so desired and had so many options, we would hear about it and probably see about it also. You're talking about Mayor in that category, and it's just silly.

You mention Ipswich but a) that was on a free and b) you have no idea whether he was seen as a 1st teamer or a squad player. They were also in League 1 at the time and no reported interest from other teams above. It's telling that no club is willing to pay a fee for him. Championship clubs spend £1mn+ on midfielders these days. Barnsley just signed a midfielder from Liverpool for £1.3mn. No Championship club would dare stump up big money for Mayor and no bigger club has actually even taken a chance on him. He's a 30 year old, lower league player. You're talking about him like he's Maradona. Incredibly deluded.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Shoenice":2wxt0uti said:
Cobi Budge":2wxt0uti said:
oldage":2wxt0uti said:
Guiri Green":2wxt0uti said:
If Mayor could stop trying to beat "just one more" in the way Carey used to, I think he'd be more productive for the team. He can do his mazey runs but we often lose possession at the end of it. If he could score more, he'd be somewhere else.

One interesting point I'm sure I heard in comms yesterday was we've had several different scorers. Last time I recall that was with Sturrock. A team that can share the goals is better than relying on individuals.
It is this "trying to beat just one more " which I also do not understand. As a matter of interest if Mayor is so good how come nobody, to the best of my knowledge , has tried to sign him?

He was offered a contract at Ipswich but came to us instead. It's very clear that he enjoys playing under Ryan Lowe, I think he could comfortably play in the bottom half of the championship if he wanted to, and there would be plenty of clubs willing to sign him.

Plenty of clubs willing to sign him? Again, talking complete nonsense. Usually those players in L1/L2 have rumours hanging over their heads for ages. The likes of Marriott, Toney, Maddison, Oztumer etc etc If Mayor was so desired and had so many options, we would hear about it and probably see about it also. You're talking about Mayor in that category, and it's just silly. Championship clubs spend £1mn+ on midfielders these days. Barnsley just signed a midfielder from Liverpool for £1.3mn.

You mention Ipswich but a) that was on a free and b) you have no idea whether he was seen as a 1st teamer or a squad player. It's telling though that no club is willing to pay a fee for him. No Championship club would dare stump up big money for Mayor and no bigger club has actually even taken a chance on him. He's a 30 year old, lower league player. You're talking about him like he's Maradona. Incredibly deluded.

Once again, your strangely aggressive tone whenever you reply to me completely invalidates your argument and makes debating with you pretty pointless.

I'll just say that Danny Mayor is a fantastic footballer and it's quite sad that there are people who don't appreciate him and spend a lot of their time trying to talk him down.

Aug 15, 2015
Cobi Budge":2y91xk6a said:
Shoenice":2y91xk6a said:
Cobi Budge":2y91xk6a said:
oldage":2y91xk6a said:
Guiri Green":2y91xk6a said:

Plenty of clubs willing to sign him? Again, talking complete nonsense. Usually those players in L1/L2 have rumours hanging over their heads for ages. The likes of Marriott, Toney, Maddison, Oztumer etc etc If Mayor was so desired and had so many options, we would hear about it and probably see about it also. You're talking about Mayor in that category, and it's just silly. Championship clubs spend £1mn+ on midfielders these days. Barnsley just signed a midfielder from Liverpool for £1.3mn.

You mention Ipswich but a) that was on a free and b) you have no idea whether he was seen as a 1st teamer or a squad player. It's telling though that no club is willing to pay a fee for him. No Championship club would dare stump up big money for Mayor and no bigger club has actually even taken a chance on him. He's a 30 year old, lower league player. You're talking about him like he's Maradona. Incredibly deluded.

Once again, your strangely aggressive tone whenever you reply to me completely invalidates your argument and makes debating with you pretty pointless.

I'll just say that Danny Mayor is a fantastic footballer and it's quite sad that there are people who don't appreciate him and spend a lot of their time trying to talk him down.

Aggression? I just take issue with stupidity when I see it. It would be nice if you could counter what I say, but you seem to prefer to not? Instead, you continually type out these substanceless declarations with absolutely no supporting evidence to anything you say. You're also confusing 'talking him down' with realism. I've said before that he's wonderful to watch and has lots of skill and I don't think anyone has said anything different? But again, rather than counter peoples' opinions, you prefer to invent ideas like 'talking him down'.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Shoenice":3k8f2738 said:
Cobi Budge":3k8f2738 said:
Shoenice":3k8f2738 said:
Cobi Budge":3k8f2738 said:
oldage":3k8f2738 said:
Guiri Green":3k8f2738 said:

Aggression? I just take issue with stupidity when I see it. It would be nice if you could counter what I say, but you seem to prefer to not? Instead, you continually type out these substanceless declarations with absolutely no supporting evidence to anything you say. You're also confusing 'talking him down' with realism. I've said before that he's wonderful to watch and has lots of skill and I don't think anyone has said anything different? But again, rather than counter peoples' opinions, you prefer to invent ideas like 'talking him down'.

I don't see how rating our best player constitutes stupidity.

Danny Mayor could play in the championship and there are teams who would take him on. His consistently excellent performances at this level, I think, justify that opinion. He also doesn't seem to be the sort to jump ship just for money though, or the chance of playing higher, I think it's obvious he values playing in a system and under a regime that suits him, for a host of reasons, that doesn't mean he doesn't back himself or that he isn't a risk taker, it's just what he wants. I'm not saying he'd be the best player in the championship, he wouldn't be, it's a great league, I'm just saying I think he could cut it - hopefully that will be with us over the next few years.

Dec 30, 2011
oldage":ty9ys6f2 said:
Guiri Green":ty9ys6f2 said:

Mayor's problem is his final ball (both shots and crosses), which is generally delivered far too late. That's the big difference between him and Carey.

Aug 15, 2015
Shoenice":1wa8cr3d said:
Cobi Budge":1wa8cr3d said:
Shoenice":1wa8cr3d said:
Cobi Budge":1wa8cr3d said:
oldage":1wa8cr3d said:
Guiri Green":1wa8cr3d said:

I don't see how rating our best player constitutes stupidity.

Danny Mayor could play in the championship and there are teams who would take him on. His consistently excellent performances at this level, I think, justify that opinion. He also doesn't seem to be the sort to jump ship just for money though, or the chance of playing higher, I think it's obvious he values playing in a system and under a regime that suits him, for a host of reasons, that doesn't mean he doesn't back himself or that he isn't a risk taker, it's just what he wants. I'm not saying he'd be the best player in the championship, he wouldn't be, it's a great league, I'm just saying I think he could cut it - hopefully that will be with us over the next few years.

Now you're trying to suggest he's spent virtually his whole career in League 2 out of choice, preferring time at say Bury, to opportunities in the Championship. Ryan Lowe has only been a manager for just over 2 years. So you're saying firstly that Mayor still preferred playing under whatever other manager(s) at Bury, playing League 2 football over Championship clubs? You suggest this has been the theme of his career, turning down greater opportunities to play higher because he prefers a regime that suits him (a subjective comment, even though you don't know him personally), and then you wonder why I call out your comments as stupid?

Aug 15, 2015
greensalt":p03huchj said:
oldage":p03huchj said:
Guiri Green":p03huchj said:

Mayor's problem is his final ball (both shots and crosses), which is generally delivered far too late. That's the big difference between him and Carey.

Behind all the noise, this is the reality.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I feel sorry for Mayor in that he's constantly compared to a very different player (Carey), who played in a very different system, in a very different position, under a very different manager, and whom served a very different purpose, yet they're talked about as if they're like for like.

May 8, 2011
Cobi Budge":1lgcwi7q said:
I feel sorry for Mayor in that he's constantly compared to a very different player (Carey), who played in a very different system, in a very different position, under a very different manager, and whom served a very different purpose, yet they're talked about as if they're like for like.

Perhaps it would have been better if this wasn’t reportedly said

'Danny Mayor is better than Carey AND Lameiras' The big statements made by Ryan Lowe to Plymouth Argyle supporters

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
Shoenice":1zq9xvu0 said:
Now you're trying to suggest he's spent virtually his whole career in League 2 out of choice, preferring time at say Bury, to opportunities in the Championship. Ryan Lowe has only been a manager for just over 2 years. So you're saying firstly that Mayor still preferred playing under whatever other manager(s) at Bury, playing League 2 football over Championship clubs? You suggest this has been the theme of his career, turning down greater opportunities to play higher because he prefers a regime that suits him (a subjective comment, even though you don't know him personally), and then you wonder why I call out your comments as stupid?

Mayor has played less than half of his career in League Two.

Jul 12, 2016
Shoenice":1wpslzca said:
Cobi Budge":1wpslzca said:
oldage":1wpslzca said:
Guiri Green":1wpslzca said:

Plenty of clubs willing to sign him? Again, talking complete nonsense. Usually those players in L1/L2 have rumours hanging over their heads for ages. The likes of Marriott, Toney, Maddison, Oztumer etc etc If Mayor was so desired and had so many options, we would hear about it and probably see about it also. You're talking about Mayor in that category, and it's just silly.

You mention Ipswich but a) that was on a free and b) you have no idea whether he was seen as a 1st teamer or a squad player. They were also in League 1 at the time and no reported interest from other teams above. It's telling that no club is willing to pay a fee for him. Championship clubs spend £1mn+ on midfielders these days. Barnsley just signed a midfielder from Liverpool for £1.3mn. No Championship club would dare stump up big money for Mayor and no bigger club has actually even taken a chance on him. He's a 30 year old, lower league player. You're talking about him like he's Maradona. Incredibly deluded.
:clap:

Jun 27, 2019
What a boring turn for the worse this thread has taken.

Ultimately it doesn't matter a jot what any of us think of Danny Mayor because he's the first name on the teamsheet as far as Lowe and Schumacher are concerned. He's never dropped and only substituted when injured - which isn't often.

I'd like to see any of his detractors sit down with Ryan Lowe and make a case for why he should drop him. That'd be fun.

Jul 12, 2016
Shoenice":filbjk2y said:
Cobi Budge":filbjk2y said:
Shoenice":filbjk2y said:
Cobi Budge":filbjk2y said:
oldage":filbjk2y said:
Guiri Green":filbjk2y said:

:clap:

Aug 15, 2015
Lobster":9mrofz2y said:
Shoenice":9mrofz2y said:

Mayor has played less than half of his career in League Two.

I haven't checked league tables but Bury will have been in League two for a fair few of those seasons, no doubt. Regardless, my point still stands that no Championship club decided to pick him up in his 20's and take a punt on him, whether he was in L2 or getting relegated from L1 with Bury. I don't think Bury have ever stayed in L1 for very long without going down.

Jul 12, 2016
Cobi Budge":1p0e8vz3 said:
Shoenice":1p0e8vz3 said:
Cobi Budge":1p0e8vz3 said:
oldage":1p0e8vz3 said:
Guiri Green":1p0e8vz3 said:

Strangely Aggressive tone? He is merely questioning your increasing obsession with Mayor. Nobody is talking him down it is just your over the top comments about him that trigger this type of response.