Brief Synopsis Northampton | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis Northampton

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I seem to recall that, after the first game, Blackpool were considered promotion candidates. This may still be the case but, currently, they have 4 points.
It is much too early to forecast where we, or any other team, will finish, but the next 3 games, 2 away and 1 home, will help us to form an opinion of our comparative status to that of the teams we will have played by the end of October.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Danny Mayor is simply quality and it continues to perplex me that there are people who donā€™t rate him. Opponents fear him and he creates so much space by simply being on the pitch. As well as his assists & exceptional dribbles, he comes so close to scoring a screamer week in week out, those will start bulging the net soon.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge":2rob3byo said:
Danny Mayor is simply quality and it continues to perplex me that there are people who donā€™t rate him. Opponents fear him and he creates so much space by simply being on the pitch. As well as his assists & exceptional dribbles, he comes so close to scoring a screamer week in week out, those will start bulging the net soon.

Like last season you mean? So how many assists has he had? Genuine question.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
I think Mayor's assist before the assist is overlooked.
He's often the one setting up a player to provide the assist by breaking free of the opposition players and then passing to a team mate in space.
The goal scored by Moore against Burton is a good example.

Sep 6, 2006
RKB":2su3p541 said:
It was a very similar game to Burton last week, with Northampton as ordinary. We dominated possession in the first half, without really threatening, and suddenly scored with an opportunistic strike.
We huffed and puffed at the start of the second half, and then conceded a soft goal. Although the defence should have dealt with it much better, I thought Mike Cooper made it easy for him to finish by not getting his angles right- he was too far over to the right when coming out. I noticed it in the Blackpool game too, when CJ Hamilton ran through our defence, although Cooper compensated by making an excellent save. An area of his otherwise exemplary start that might need a little more work.
I thought we had our best spell of the match after they scored, with Nouble, Mayor and Cooper at the forefront. Our late winner, a lovely, composed finish by the increasingly impressive Kell Watts, was deserved.

M.Cooper 6
Aimson 6
Canavan 6
Watts 7
Fornah 6
Moore 6
Grant 6 (Reeves 6)
Mayor 7
G.Cooper 7 (Opoku N/A)
Jephcott 6 (Abraham N/A)
Nouble 7

You cant blame Cooper. Left exposed. If he had got beaten at near post he would have got grief. Canavan at fault. Dont know what Lowe sees in him. But as others have said there was no challenge in Midfield also particularly Reeves. We dont seem to have a proper ball winner there and I suspect we will get found out there by better opposition(or even Wimbledon).
Watts played well enough but I'll judge when the defence is under more pressure.

Apr 4, 2015
A fully deserved victory if not as easy as it should've been as per the argyle way. Our defence is starting to look better, most of the time but we do seem to make individual mistakes too often which are costing us at crucial times. Our best midfield is undecided to me but grant is looking better every game and fornah is a real find, Mayor looks good in spells but just doesn't have the end product that Cooper has imo who always produces assists and is an excellent dead ball merchant. Mayor definitely makes us a better team but I feel he is a little over rated by some on here. I dont know his exact stats but he doesn't score or create enough direct assists for a player who is obviously talented imo. Up front we have no worries with lots of options and scoring goals won't be a problem this season.

We are definitely on the up and I think its down to Ryan Lowe and his backroom team, they are the difference between a mid/lower league table struggle and a genuine chance of the play offs. They have really good contacts in the game and it is reaping rewards hence Simon Hallett backing him. When I look at all the other lg 1 teams I would consider Ryan Lowe is in the top 3 managers if not the best in the league.

Sep 6, 2006
freddie2greens":hnpt9t9k said:
A fully deserved victory if not as easy as it should've been as per the argyle way. Our defence is starting to look better, most of the time but we do seem to make individual mistakes too often which are costing us at crucial times. Our best midfield is undecided to me but grant is looking better every game and fornah is a real find, Mayor looks good in spells but just doesn't have the end product that Cooper has imo who always produces assists and is an excellent dead ball merchant. Mayor definitely makes us a better team but I feel he is a little over rated by some on here. I dont know his exact stats but he doesn't score or create enough direct assists for a player who is obviously talented imo. Up front we have no worries with lots of options and scoring goals won't be a problem this season.

We are definitely on the up and I think its down to Ryan Lowe and his backroom team, they are the difference between a mid/lower league table struggle and a genuine chance of the play offs. They have really good contacts in the game and it is reaping rewards hence Simon Hallett backing him. When I look at all the other lg 1 teams I would consider Ryan Lowe is in the top 3 managers if not the best in the league.

So what qualities make Lowe the best in the League? This will be interesting.

Dec 3, 2005
honicknowle_pete":3uq8tnl3 said:
Although it was frustrating at times, i think we deserved the win, my only gripe is that the single camera doesn't always keep up with play, why can't ifollow sort this out, it is more than frustrating at times with this only view,
Pete

Surely if you are at Home Park watching the game, you only get ONE view?

Keith Hennessey

šŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æ
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
djg145":2f5qmjk7 said:
honicknowle_pete":2f5qmjk7 said:
Although it was frustrating at times, i think we deserved the win, my only gripe is that the single camera doesn't always keep up with play, why can't ifollow sort this out, it is more than frustrating at times with this only view,
Pete

Surely if you are at Home Park watching the game, you only get ONE view?

I canā€™t believe anyone would moan about the single camera coverage . Be grateful for what we have because itā€™s not beyond the realm of possibility that maybe , just maybe there will be no camera coverage in the near future , cos there will be no games . UK is not in a great position COVID wise .

Cobi Budge

Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I think the exciting thing is that weā€™re 6th, weā€™ve made a very good start, and yet we havenā€™t really been at our absolute best as of yet.

Mar 8, 2016
With Danny Mayor, youā€™d much prefer he was in your team and not playing against you. Heā€™s a handful. Takes payers out the game and creates space for others, heā€™s the catalyst to almost every attack we do. Also Iā€™ve noticed his name has been mentioned almost every week for being a contender for MOM. Says it all really.

Jul 12, 2016
Cobi Budge":340frate said:
I think we get the message. You rate Mayor!
The problem with him is that he has been been close to scoring since he signed for us. I admit he played well yesterday and I really hope this continues but IMO he is nowhere near as good as RL led us to believe when we signed him.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
When you have the oppositionā€™s manager saying ā€œI would pay to watch himā€, you, surely, have to think to yourself ā€œWhat am I missing?ā€. I am sure there are many managers who think the same. You only have to see how many opponents are clustered around him when he has the ball. Thatā€™s why the likes of Cooper and Grant have been able to provide assists.

Oct 31, 2015
oldage":3iawl2w2 said:
Cobi Budge":3iawl2w2 said:
I think we get the message. You rate Mayor!
The problem with him is that he has been been close to scoring since he signed for us. I admit he played well yesterday and I really hope this continues but IMO he is nowhere near as good as RL led us to believe when we signed him.

And I think we get the message you don't rate him.as highly as RL :clap:

I agree he could score goals but and ,it's a big but, he does drive us up the pitch and because of his skills there are gaps in midfield where teams double up on him.

I love watching him play as much as I enjoyed watching GC10 when he was on fire. If he added goals I doubt he would be a 3rd tier player tbh.

Without him we are a different team and he is key to RLs way of playing. If the Cobblers manager says good things about him then he can't be far off as a player. I listen to the professionals.
Had to laugh at Freddy Flintoff the other night as he was taking the pee out of arm chair proffessional sportsman:funny:

It's only my opinion mind :thumbup:

Voice of Reason

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 30, 2004
Certain posters like to lurch from one negative to the next. I have a Liverpool supporting customer who spent last year telling we if we lose Alison or Van Djik we are done for, instead of just enjoying what they do have.
I mean a few weeks into the season we've had:
Throwing a young keeper to the lions
Too many dodgy centre backs
Wing backs the cant defend
Midfielders that can create
Too many centre forwards
No plan B
Lack of pace
Anyone would think we were still searching for our first win.
11 points from our first 6 games is a fantastic start - regardless of the opposition, what's more we do have personnel who can adapt, we can pick a big strong 11 if needed.
We are doing enough, that's always a good thing, we've not been lucky we've deserved all the points we have gained so far. Cooper is looking more comfortable and goals are being shared around.
No one doubts it will get tougher, but right now anyone spending too long on the negatives is probably someone you prefer not to spend too long with.