Brief Synopsis Northampton | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis Northampton

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Very appropriate for your pseudonym.
Your friend must be worried for Liverpool after that horrendous tackle by Pickford on Van Dyk.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I thought this was a dominant display, very similar to the one against Burton. Barring a five minute patch in the second half, Northampton didn't offer a lot. We coped well on the break and were well organised. The last two games, whilst have shown we have momentary frailties, have been a marked improvement from the first few games where we were far to open and prone to individual error. We do need to get the second goal sooner, however.

In terms of individual performances, it was Nouble's best performance for us. I still don't see him being a regular goalscorer, but his all-round play was much better yesterday. He held the ball up well and was linking well with those around him. It's a sign the team is starting to gel.

I also thought Kell Watts had his best game yet. My only criticism would be that on a couple of occasions him and George Cooper were way too far apart and it left us too open. It actually led to one of the better chances for Northampton in the second half. Lovely finish from the corner, however.

I'm not sure I agree with some of the criticism of Mike Cooper. I thought it was an excellent low finish from Korboa. If Cooper had been further to his left, the near post would have been open. I thought generally he had a good game and his distribution is very good. He is very much a 'modern keeper'.

Mayor continues to be the fulcrum of our play. Northampton couldn't get near him. I understand the criticism from those who want to see him get more goals and assists, I'd like it too, but his general overall play his valuable to us. He is so fast on the transition and incredibly difficult to dispossess. There are ways to effect games without scoring. If when he signed Lowe had compared him to Sarcevic (a central midfielder), rather than an attacking winger (Carey/Lameiras), I think people would value his contribution far higher.

I thought we struggled at the start of the second half to get going in the absence of Conor Grant. I didn't feel Reeves really offered anything throughout the half, which was disappointing. Whilst he looks a tidy player, I would prefer to see Panutche Camara in that role on Tuesday if he is fit.

Ratings:

Cooper - 7
Moore - 7
Aimson - 6
Canavan - 6
Watts - 8
Fornah - 6
Grant - 7
Mayor - 7
Nouble - 8
Jephcott - 6

Reeves - 5
Abraham - N/A
Opoku - N/A

Overall, this has been a positive start to the season. It's gone sort of how I expected, we are competitive with everyone, but better than the teams who you'd expect to be near the bottom. However, I do think the fixture list was kind to us to start the season. Lincoln, Wigan, Pompey and Doncaster in the next 6 games will be a great indicator of whether we have the quality to be a potential playoff side.

Aug 5, 2016
davie nine":34ky2x3d said:
I seem to recall that, after the first game, Blackpool were considered promotion candidates. This may still be the case but, currently, they have 4 points.
It is much too early to forecast where we, or any other team, will finish, but the next 3 games, 2 away and 1 home, will help us to form an opinion of our comparative status to that of the teams we will have played by the end of October.

Yes, the assault on the Champions League seems to be a bit slow coming for Blackpool. Putting two goals past Liverpool suddenly doesn't seem that much of an achievement when Villa can stick 7 past them and afford to miss 3 glorious chances in the same game.

Argyle Life had Oxford United as favourites for the title and they are currently bottom of the league.

Aug 5, 2016
rsp4":3kq9yzha said:
oldage":3kq9yzha said:
Cobi Budge":3kq9yzha said:
Danny Mayor is simply quality and it continues to perplex me that there are people who don’t rate him. Opponents fear him and he creates so much space by simply being on the pitch. As well as his assists & exceptional dribbles, he comes so close to scoring a screamer week in week out, those will start bulging the net soon.
I think we get the message. You rate Mayor!
The problem with him is that he has been been close to scoring since he signed for us. I admit he played well yesterday and I really hope this continues but IMO he is nowhere near as good as RL led us to believe when we signed him.

And I think we get the message you don't rate him.as highly as RL :clap:

I agree he could score goals but and ,it's a big but, he does drive us up the pitch and because of his skills there are gaps in midfield where teams double up on him.

I love watching him play as much as I enjoyed watching GC10 when he was on fire. If he added goals I doubt he would be a 3rd tier player tbh.

Without him we are a different team and he is key to RLs way of playing. If the Cobblers manager says good things about him then he can't be far off as a player. I listen to the professionals.
Had to laugh at Freddy Flintoff the other night as he was taking the pi$$ out of arm chair proffessional sportsman:funny:

It's only my opinion mind :thumbup:

What do you get out of watching football if you deny yourself and others an opinion, and instead defer to the professionals and insiders on every issue?

Oldage watches Mayor and doesn't see the genius that everyone else sees. I don't agree with Oldage myself, but Mayor only scored one or two goals last season and not a great deal of assists. It is a fair enough opinion to question his influence.

Sep 30, 2018
Nobby":3gm35l6f said:
I thought this was a dominant display, very similar to the one against Burton. Barring a five minute patch in the second half, Northampton didn't offer a lot. We coped well on the break and were well organised. The last two games, whilst have shown we have momentary frailties, have been a marked improvement from the first few games where we were far to open and prone to individual error. We do need to get the second goal sooner, however.

In terms of individual performances, it was Nouble's best performance for us. I still don't see him being a regular goalscorer, but his all-round play was much better yesterday. He held the ball up well and was linking well with those around him. It's a sign the team is starting to gel.

I also thought Kell Watts had his best game yet. My only criticism would be that on a couple of occasions him and George Cooper were way too far apart and it left us too open. It actually led to one of the better chances for Northampton in the second half. Lovely finish from the corner, however.

I'm not sure I agree with some of the criticism of Mike Cooper. I thought it was an excellent low finish from Korboa. If Cooper had been further to his left, the near post would have been open. I thought generally he had a good game and his distribution is very good. He is very much a 'modern keeper'.

Mayor continues to be the fulcrum of our play. Northampton couldn't get near him. I understand the criticism from those who want to see him get more goals and assists, I'd like it too, but his general overall play his valuable to us. He is so fast on the transition and incredibly difficult to dispossess. There are ways to effect games without scoring. If when he signed Lowe had compared him to Sarcevic (a central midfielder), rather than an attacking winger (Carey/Lameiras), I think people would value his contribution far higher.

I thought we struggled at the start of the second half to get going in the absence of Conor Grant. I didn't feel Reeves really offered anything throughout the half, which was disappointing. Whilst he looks a tidy player, I would prefer to see Panutche Camara in that role on Tuesday if he is fit.

Ratings:

Cooper - 7
Moore - 7
Aimson - 6
Canavan - 6
Watts - 8
Fornah - 6
Grant - 7
Mayor - 7
Nouble - 8
Jephcott - 6

Reeves - 5
Abraham - N/A
Opoku - N/A

Overall, this has been a positive start to the season. It's gone sort of how I expected, we are competitive with everyone, but better than the teams who you'd expect to be near the bottom. However, I do think the fixture list was kind to us to start the season. Lincoln, Wigan, Pompey and Doncaster in the next 6 games will be a great indicator of whether we have the quality to be a potential playoff side.

I agree with this, your last point. This is why personally, I previously mentioned a potential need for change on system only (4-3-3) against better opposition...so I may refer to this later on in this season. That is because it is the only thing I'm a little concerned with at the moment, based on what I've seen so far, specifically against Hull, and AFC Wimbledon. So I'm only worried against the better sides like this...as we have only played 6 teams, and not 23 yet.

What a great start however. I'm thrilled with, and for, Nouble. Brilliant header, in my view. And I'm delighted with our league standing, our little run, our amount of possession in games....and Danny Mayor.

And we'll done Kelland Watts!!

Come on Argyle

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge":351l120i said:
I think the exciting thing is that we’re 6th, we’ve made a very good start, and yet we haven’t really been at our absolute best as of yet.

Not at our 'absolute best' you say yourself. Against teams down the bottom. Surely that's a reason to be concerned not excited? Just asking like.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Do you really believe that BG or are you just playing Devil's advocate?

For example Tyson Fury wouldn't need to be at his best to beat anyone outside the current world ranked top 10 and he'd still win. But would need to be at his best to beat Joshua or Wilder.

Sometimes you need to play better teams to bring out the best in you, until then it's an unknown, so why not be optimistic that our average stuff is good enough to see up comfortably in the top half.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Balham_Green":2xobs7tt said:
Cobi Budge":2xobs7tt said:
I think the exciting thing is that we’re 6th, we’ve made a very good start, and yet we haven’t really been at our absolute best as of yet.

Not at our 'absolute best' you say yourself. Against teams down the bottom. Surely that's a reason to be concerned not excited? Just asking like.

I see it more as being encouraging that despite being not at our absolute best, we're still good enough to be 6th in the table.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Patience is key to our approach. We've moved up a level which means we can't be as gung-ho as we were at times last season, but we haven't changed our style/system, we just take more care of the ball, look to dominate games whilst at the same time not leaving ourselves exposed. These last two games we've balanced risk aversion with attacking football, and it's worked, full credit to the players and coaching staff.

May 8, 2011
Cobi Budge":1k536jgd said:
Balham_Green":1k536jgd said:
Cobi Budge":1k536jgd said:

I see it more as being encouraging that despite being not at our absolute best, we're still good enough to be 6th in the table.

What is our absolute best, what would it look like?
What currently is below par and has scope for improvement?

May 16, 2016
If Mayor could stop trying to beat "just one more" in the way Carey used to, I think he'd be more productive for the team. He can do his mazey runs but we often lose possession at the end of it. If he could score more, he'd be somewhere else.

One interesting point I'm sure I heard in comms yesterday was we've had several different scorers. Last time I recall that was with Sturrock. A team that can share the goals is better than relying on individuals.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
HC Green":qgifr1to said:
Cobi Budge":qgifr1to said:
Balham_Green":qgifr1to said:
Cobi Budge":qgifr1to said:

What is our absolute best, what would it look like?
What currently is below par and has scope for improvement?

I would say that a team rarely plays at their absolute best and that most final positions within a league season are earned by results when a team aren't at their best .

Jul 12, 2016
Guiri Green":32wyrk83 said:
If Mayor could stop trying to beat "just one more" in the way Carey used to, I think he'd be more productive for the team. He can do his mazey runs but we often lose possession at the end of it. If he could score more, he'd be somewhere else.

One interesting point I'm sure I heard in comms yesterday was we've had several different scorers. Last time I recall that was with Sturrock. A team that can share the goals is better than relying on individuals.
It is this "trying to beat just one more " which I also do not understand. As a matter of interest if Mayor is so good how come nobody, to the best of my knowledge , has tried to sign him?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
oldage":1fnuiqad said:
Guiri Green":1fnuiqad said:

It is this "trying to beat just one more " which I also do not understand. As a matter of interest if Mayor is so good how come nobody, to the best of my knowledge , has tried to sign him?

He was offered a contract at Ipswich but came to us instead. It's very clear that he enjoys playing under Ryan Lowe, I think he could comfortably play in the bottom half of the championship if he wanted to, and there would be plenty of clubs willing to sign him.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
More than 10 other argyle players that player yesterday.

Not all about mayor y’know.