Brief Synopsis!!! (Wimbledon) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Wimbledon)

Apr 1, 2009
Tugboat":1gfj55za said:
Jephcott is looking like a very very average player now.

Is that his true colours after an extraordinary purple patch or a player that’s just completely lost confidence.

I don't know what was remotely average about Jephcott today. He was very poor, and way below average.

Apr 9, 2011
saxman":q892zo40 said:
Tugboat":q892zo40 said:
Jephcott is looking like a very very average player now.

Is that his true colours after an extraordinary purple patch or a player that’s just completely lost confidence.

He's a finisher first and foremost and he never received the ball any where near the box. He worked hard after he came on, but the entire team were guilty of giving the ball away too easily in that dire second half.
"Worked hard when he came on" really. Thought he made no difference at all & the only outstanding thing he did was make a ridiculous pass to absolutely no one when we were trying to see out the game :facepalm:

Aug 8, 2013
A few thoughts....

Aimson and Woods were outstanding, thankfully;
it seems a simple tweak by the opposition at half time
completely nullified us again; our midfield was non-existent, meaning that,,,
we got pounded for 45 minutes, at home, by a team in the bottom four;
Hardie had a very good first half, but probably ran himself ragged;
we won't be getting millions for Jephcott; not this year anyway;
we'll be in League 1 next year, but who of the current squad will be
playing for us ?
By default, it'll be Aimson, Watts and Opoku in the next game;
bring on Shrewsbury.

Mar 14, 2009
The first half was decent. I enjoyed the way we closed them down. I thought Hardie played really well in that first half. Woods, and especially Aimson, were excellent. They had the goalmouth scramble but overall we were the better side.

Then the second half comes along. We just simply went to pieces. We gradually got worse and worse. Mayor disappeared. The central midfield was non existent. It all became about whether Wimbledon would score. And let’s be honest they should have. We had the rub of the green today and they missed an absolute sitter with that free header.

This wasn’t just one of those poor second half performances. This was a team who couldn’t hit one decent pass to an Argyle player. They simply didn’t know what to do when in possession. It became slower and slower.

I’m baffled by the change to three ATB. We already know we play slower with this formation than we do with a back four. Especially when our best players were our two centre halves. We seen Aimson play better in this back four. The problem wasn’t the defence. The problem was someone getting hold of the ball and dictating the play. Suddenly we got even more deeper. And the width just evaporated. What compounded the decision was when we lost Woods and we stuck a midfielder in Fornah at Centre back. If you see the free header at the end of the match Fornah got under the ball for the cross. We escaped what seemed a strange decision.

However, what’s making me so annoyed tonight is Jephcott. Did he even touch the ball? When that free header chance happened it was his lazy defending that the cross came in with such ease. I’m sorry but l watch Hardie and Ennis impact a game with their closing down. With Jephcott it’s like he just isn’t even on the pitch at times. And l know people will tell me he is a young player who is developing but lm sorry work rate and attitude to me should just be a given.

Argyle on 52 points is great to achieve today. The first half performance was decent. However, that second half performance should sound some warning bells. It was just as bad of performance, if not worse, that we sure during our bad recent run.

Lots of things to ponder. I look at the recent run and see an improvement in Aimson. Yet in a back 3 his distribution isn’t good enough. So Argyle need to figure out a system for next season and then start putting in players for that system. These woeful second halves need to stop too. To see the sides confidence drain away so badly says to me we have some tough decisions to make on players we want to keep for next season.

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
Joke of a thread. You think teams like Wimbledon who are fighting for their lives are going to roll over? They'd only lost one out of the last seven before today. We have a young, newly promoted team, with a number of loanees. We have survived the first year comfortably. Oh and, we actually won the game! :scarf:

Apr 1, 2009
Metal_Green_Mickey":2su9ezya said:
The first half was decent. I enjoyed the way we closed them down. I thought Hardie played really well in that first half. Woods, and especially Aimson, were excellent. They had the goalmouth scramble but overall we were the better side.

Then the second half comes along. We just simply went to pieces. We gradually got worse and worse. Mayor disappeared. The central midfield was non existent. It all became about whether Wimbledon would score. And let’s be honest they should have. We had the rub of the green today and they missed an absolute sitter with that free header.

This wasn’t just one of those poor second half performances. This was a team who couldn’t hit one decent pass to an Argyle player. They simply didn’t know what to do when in possession. It became slower and slower.

I’m baffled by the change to three ATB. We already know we play slower with this formation than we do with a back four. Especially when our best players were our two centre halves. We seen Aimson play better in this back four. The problem wasn’t the defence. The problem was someone getting hold of the ball and dictating the play. Suddenly we got even more deeper. And the width just evaporated. What compounded the decision was when we lost Woods and we stuck a midfielder in Fornah at Centre back. If you see the free header at the end of the match Fornah got under the ball for the cross. We escaped what seemed a strange decision.

However, what’s making me so annoyed tonight is Jephcott. Did he even touch the ball? When that free header chance happened it was his lazy defending that the cross came in with such ease. I’m sorry but l watch Hardie and Ennis impact a game with their closing down. With Jephcott it’s like he just isn’t even on the pitch at times. And l know people will tell me he is a young player who is developing but lm sorry work rate and attitude to me should just be a given.

Argyle on 52 points is great to achieve today. The first half performance was decent. However, that second half performance should sound some warning bells. It was just as bad of performance, if not worse, that we sure during our bad recent run.

Lots of things to ponder. I look at the recent run and see an improvement in Aimson. Yet in a back 3 his distribution isn’t good enough. So Argyle need to figure out a system for next season and then start putting in players for that system. These woeful second halves need to stop too. To see the sides confidence drain away so badly says to me we have some tough decisions to make on players we want to keep for next season.

I imagine most of the decisions have been taken as to who gets offered new contracts. Who do you think are the tough ones, Mickey?

I think Lowe will want all of those among today's starting X! who are currently permanently contracted. Amongst the subs, I can't see Moore and Reeves getting offers.

Apr 9, 2011
Second half it was if it was last game of season , perhaps we have too many on our books thinking that already. They know they wont be here next season & not bothered

Mar 14, 2009
xmastree":10mi750c said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":10mi750c said:

I imagine most of the decisions have been taken as to who gets offered new contracts. Who do you think are the tough ones, Mickey?

I think Lowe will want all of those among today's starting X! who are currently permanently contracted. Amongst the subs, I can't see Moore and Reeves getting offers.

I think Aimson is a tough call depending on if we want revert to a back 3 next season. If it’s a back four system then definitely yes.

I think Mayor is another. For me l like the guy but there seems to be two issues. Lack of end product. Also his lack of influence in the second half of games. Argyle as a team unit without Mayor’s influence then continue to suffer and play as they did today.

Conor Grant. I wouldn’t keep him as CM. His best assets are his crossing / assists. So to me he has to be a left full back. I watched him under Adams there and that’s when he was at his best. Same with Lowe. So if his position is to be on that left side then he stays.

Camara and Edwards l would desperately want to keep. However, l would play Edwards in central midfield with Camara.

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
Metal_Green_Mickey":44p4e4sa said:
xmastree":44p4e4sa said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":44p4e4sa said:

I think Aimson is a tough call depending on if we want revert to a back 3 next season. If it’s a back four system then definitely yes.

I think Mayor is another. For me l like the guy but there seems to be two issues. Lack of end product. Also his lack of influence in the second half of games. Argyle as a team unit without Mayor’s influence then continue to suffer and play as they did today.

Conor Grant. I wouldn’t keep him as CM. His best assets are his crossing / assists. So to me he has to be a left full back. I watched him under Adams there and that’s when he was at his best. Same with Lowe. So if his position is to be on that left side then he stays.

Camara and Edwards l would desperately want to keep. However, l would play Edwards in central midfield with Camara.

I would take Mayor over all those you have named above. You seem to be blaming Mayor for Argyle's second half performances.

Apr 1, 2009
phil-thefluter24":1lk6vmdj said:
Second half it was if it was last game of season , perhaps we have too many on our books thinking that already. They know they wont be here next season & not bothered

People keep saying this, and things like "the players are already on the beach", but no one names those who allegedly aren't trying. Only 3 loanees started and, of those, one (Woods) had his best game, whilst Fornah was much as usual and Lewis ok going forward. Of those on permanent contracts who's going and therefore not bothered?

I am not one of those who says we shouldn't criticise players on here. However the accusation that players can't be bothered, or aren't trying is a fairly serious slur on their professional mentality, and in most instances doesn't make sense. When it's thrown at either the entire team, or at an unspecified group, it's an accusation that's both speculative and lazy.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
charlieboy":382pqxv3 said:
How a team can go from having so much control in the first half and the be so poor is beyond me, it's like as if they have no pride. Jephcott is going from bad to worse, Lewis is fine going forward but defending he is a nightmare. Woods is probably the best defender at the club, such a shame he was injured. The nucleus of the team on show today will probably be with us next season, on that display either Lowe and his staff have a problem motivating his players or the players have a problem with him, either way there are serious issues if we are going to progress. A very hard match to watch, I am sure Lowe will come out and say how well we played in parts but sadly football is not about parts but about the overall performance and that was rubbish..

I've merged your post again with an existing thread covering the same subject.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Well that was a game of 2 halves- 1st half Duracell Bunnies with urgency - customary goal scored

Half time factory reset & 2nd half malaise in full force- i just dont get it -do they think it is job done - bigger teams in the league would have had us for breakfast with that 2nd half performance today- Wimbledon were just not clinical enough where it counted & we got away with one

I have never seen Ryan Lowe as animated on the touch line as he was today the passion & eruption he showed in the 2nd half was what the players left in the changing room at half time

RL was the 2nd half entertainment as he continued to fume at the players- did he think today would be a walk in the park or did he think not again (his body language suggested the later)

A win is a win but we seriously lack consistency - maybe this will be mulled over in the close season analysis of this season

We move onto Monday :think:

Apr 1, 2009
Metal_Green_Mickey":p83d92ho said:
xmastree":p83d92ho said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":p83d92ho said:

I think you're changing the emphasis now to your own views, rather than what Lowe will do.

I'd be very surprised if Lowe didn't offer Aimson a new contract. I'd be absolutely staggered if he didn't offer Danny Mayor one. Both are his Bury boys and both have played close to every game this season. Conor Grant's greatest asset is his versatility - every squad needs one or two who can fit into several roles. I'm sure Camara won't be out of contract - we paid something for him, and I'd be amazed if, at the very least, we didn't have an option for a second season. Edwards a must.

There's no guarantee that everyone will accept of course. There's always a suspicion that Danny want's to get back oop north, but we will see.

Kevin Pedlar

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jul 28, 2010
Plymouth
Tugboat":3h7v43yh said:
A typical game where 2 3rds of the team know they aren’t here nest season and couldn’t be arsed.

So including subs, that would give you 10 players from today who aren’t going to be with us next season. Names? Purely out of interest.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Kevin Pedlar":1etzeagl said:
Tugboat":1etzeagl said:
A typical game where 2 3rds of the team know they aren’t here nest season and couldn’t be arsed.

So including subs, that would give you 10 players from today who aren’t going to be with us next season. Names? Purely out of interest.

My best guess:

Cooper (no at any fault today mind you)
Mayor
Moore
Woods
Watts
Fornah
Lewis
Reeves
Macleod (given not in the team)