Brief Synopsis!!! (Wimbledon) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Wimbledon)

D

Deleted member 9145

And Ennis soon after. Looking at what then happened maybe not the wisest decisions.

Jul 12, 2016
I am still amazed at the criticism levied at Jephcott. He has certainly gone of the boil but some fans need to be reminded he is our top scorer by some margin. Lowe is putting him on the bench not only to give him a rest but also give him some game time in the hope he will recapture some of his earlier form.

Sep 6, 2006
GreenThing":1c4z8703 said:
Knackered is probably a relative term. Jephcott could probably run rings around most of us, but knackered compared to the opposition he’s up against. Last week was the first week for a long time that we didn’t have a midweek game, but Jephcott played about an hour for Wales then came on as a sub for us the following day.

Poor thing. Dont know he coped.

Apr 1, 2009
oldage":17je7ojm said:
I am still amazed at the criticism levied at Jephcott. He has certainly gone of the boil but some fans need to be reminded he is our top scorer by some margin. Lowe is putting him on the bench not only to give him a rest but also give him some game time in the hope he will recapture some of his earlier form.

Jephcott got drowned in praise earlier in the season. We had threads and threads dedicated to how good he was. People said he was the reincarnation of Tommy Tynan, They said he was worth up to £5 million (or £10 million in the case of Steve Evans). Plus add-ons, of course. He was going to get called up for the Euros. Someone dreamt up comparisons with Harry Kane!

It has long been a British trait to build people up beyond reality and then knock them down again. I suppose the tabloids started it, but it's a trait made for social media. I can't say it's a very endearing one. Yet if we're allowed to praise someone to the rafters, then surely we are permitted to be a little bit critical when standards drop dramatically?

There seems to be a bit of a trend on here for suggesting that players shouldn't be criticised. It's not one I agree with, but I respect the views of those who are consistent about it. Here the attack on criticism comes from one of the most critical posters on here - so no consistency in this instance.

Mar 14, 2009
Quintrell_Green":pgozdotm said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":pgozdotm said:
davie nine":pgozdotm said:
I decided to ‘suffer’ the whole of the second half again to try to work out what went wrong.
We completely lost our shape and their attacks were being repelled with the big boot. We very rarely tried to put 3 passes together and our midfielders spent more time in our penalty area often slicing clearances.
The free header near the end that went just wide came from a cross after Jephcott sliced a clearance direct to a Wimbledon player.
In Jephcott’s defence, the pass up the line that went into clear open space would have been perfect if Hardie was there instead of Moore who was making a run and stopped.
Their keeper seemed to spend more time near the centre circle than any of our forwards.

Their keeper was way out of his box. I noticed him at times just behind their CB’s in open play.

I didn’t want to mention the Jephcott sliced clearance before hand. It would have seemed like l was picking on him further. However, now you have mentioned it l felt it was just another incident that we could highlight in that game regarding his poor play yesterday.

As for the pass you mentioned, the road runner would have struggled to get on the end of that, let alone Hardie.

I think he deliberately played it into distant space specifically to take the pressure for the moment off Argyle's defence. I have seen bigger names in League football than LJ do the same thing and not attract criticism

The problem wasn’t this as a one off instance. It was a collection of things, including this.

Ennis didn’t have a good game yesterday. His control/first touch was poor. Yet he got involved.

I’m just being honest about what l’ve seen. I’m not writing him off. I’m not saying he isn’t league one material. The last few months for me it’s like the game has passed him by.

Like l said before. Give him the service and that’s his strength. However, in games where he isn’t getting that service its a noticeable difference between him and Ennis & Hardie in terms of their impact.

Jul 12, 2016
xmastree":2z5065ri said:
oldage":2z5065ri said:

Jephcott got drowned in praise earlier in the season. We had threads and threads dedicated to how good he was. People said he was the reincarnation of Tommy Tynan, They said he was worth up to £5 million (or £10 million in the case of Steve Evans). Plus add-ons, of course. He was going to get called up for the Euros. Someone dreamt up comparisons with Harry Kane!

It has long been a British trait to build people up beyond reality and then knock them down again. I suppose the tabloids started it, but it's a trait made for social media. I can't say it's a very endearing one. Yet if we're allowed to praise someone to the rafters, then surely we are permitted to be a little bit critical when standards drop dramatically?

There seems to be a bit of a trend on here for suggesting that players shouldn't be criticised. It's not one I agree with, but I respect the views of those who are consistent about it. Here the attack on criticism comes from one of the most critical posters on here - so no consistency in this instance.
It us all about opinions and we are all entitled to criticise our players when warranted. However you choose to have a crafty dig no matter what I post. I am consistent in my appreciation of Jephcott because unlike some other players who IMO are unjustly worshipped ,he is a natural goalscorer who I am confident will hit decent form again .

Apr 1, 2009
oldage":1vq29m2f said:
xmastree":1vq29m2f said:
oldage":1vq29m2f said:

It us all about opinions and we are all entitled to criticise our players when warranted. However you choose to have a crafty dig no matter what I post. I am consistent in my appreciation of Jephcott because unlike some other players who IMO are unjustly worshipped ,he is a natural goalscorer who I am confident will hit decent form again .

I'm sure whether a crafty dig describes it.

You've posted several times that you are entitled to your views and to post them on here. I support you on that 100% - this place needs alternative views and would be incredibly dull if some people didn't have the balls to post views that are different from the masses. I've also no problem at all with your support of Jephcott, as I've said above the Jephcott bandwagon got out of control during his good spell, and I don't want to see it go too far towards the opposite extreme .

Where I am taking issue with you is that if you want people to have the freedom to post their personal views, then you shouldn't imply that others are out of order in doing so. You're not afraid to criticise certain Argyle personalities, so shouldn't object to others doing much the same.

FWIW I think a lot of the current Jephcott chat is "negative comment" rather than outright criticism. Yes a few are putting the boot in, but the majority are merely discussing what they are seeing at the moment.

D

Deleted member 9145

I don't think anyone is saying you shouldn't have that opinion oldage and I hope you're right , the problem is what do we do until he finds that form?

We're safe now so that does give RL a bit of flexibility, but for the good of the team we can't keep playing him whilst he contributes nothing to the team, even it can be argued having a negative effect eg giving the ball away and slow to close down etc . With Ennis and Hardie even when they are out of form, their pace and closing down contributes and you know you can hit the channels and have half a chance. Where and how Jephers gets that form back I don't know but it can't be at the expense of the team.

Jul 12, 2016
themightykeithfear":24q4nl36 said:
I don't think anyone is saying you shouldn't have that opinion oldage and I hope you're right , the problem is what do we do until he finds that form?

We're safe now so that does give RL a bit of flexibility, but for the good of the team we can't keep playing him whilst he contributes nothing to the team, even it can be argued having a negative effect eg giving the ball away and slow to close down etc . With Ennis and Hardie even when they are out of form, their pace and closing down contributes and you know you can hit the channels and have half a chance. Where and how Jephers gets that form back I don't know but it can't be at the expense of the team.
The dilemma is if you don't play Jephcott he will not get a chance to recapture his earlier season form.