Brief Synopsis | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, a great summary Nobby. Not a word or a player rating that I could disagree with.

Your take on Watts is spot on. I'm not trying to get at anyone who said, after his first couple of outings, that he wasn't up to it - I think many of us are a bit too quick with our player assessments. His name must be one of the first entries on the team sheet now.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
PL2 3DQ":3ge9cral said:
Yes, it was the commentator who incorrectly said it was Opoku as the last man.

The Donny commentators said it was Mayor. :thumbup:

Jul 14, 2008
Nobby":1t47dc4j said:
In terms of dribbling and close control, in my time supporting Argyle I think only Ruben Lameiras comes close to his level. He is incredibly comfortable dribbling out of tight spaces, losing his man and getting up the pitch fast. It's invaluable, certainly was last night and Doncaster couldn't get near to him for 90 minutes.
I think Iā€™d agree with that. Mayor is probably a better dribbler in the sense that he is able to get the ball up the pitch quicker. Ruben had more tricks in terms of beating a player one on one. I also think Ruben was a better finisher - Mayor is too easy to telegraph at times in terms of wanting to come inside on his right foot and bend the ball into the far corner. It makes it quite easy for defenders to block which is invariably what seems to happen. I love watching him play though, there arenā€™t too many players in the lower leagues who really get you off your seat.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Nobby":3ij9bfsu said:
Larry David":3ij9bfsu said:
davie nine":3ij9bfsu said:
That is the third game that Aimson, Opoku and Watts formed our back three.
Watts is now a very consistent player who is winning the ball in the air and his distribution is very good. He has already proven that he can score goals.
Opoku was thrown in at the last minute at Lincoln and played on the left and was not convincing but it was unfair to judge him too harshly. His performance against Wigan was the first occasion that he played in the centre and looked OK. Tonight, I thought he was very good. He did well in a one on one to put the forward off without conceding a free kick which would probably have resulted in a red card.
Aimson is now looking match fit, looks a good defender although he occasionally misplaces a straightforward pass. However, I do remember one excellent crossfield pass to Byron Moore. I think he is getting there.
Doncaster are probably a better side than they showed tonight and I think that the back 3 can take a lot of credit for that.

Interesting take on the Opoku challenge. I think he was extremely fortunate the forward didnā€™t go down otherwise I think the ref would have had little option but to send him off and secondly he was lucky he didnā€™t score as he had been outmuscled and outpaced, had it been an Argyle striker we would have
been massively disappointed, I think it was a terrible finish.

Having said all that quite wtf he was doing isolated one on one with the striker from a long punt forward on a break is a mystery.

If youā€™re both talking about the break from our own corner, it was Byron Moore who was last man, not Opoku. They donā€™t even look alike.
Oops!!! You are right, of course. Iā€™m off to Specsavers.

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
A really important win against Donny who have been a bit of a bogey side at Home Park in recent seasons. Yes it was a narrow win but two positions away from the Play-offs, you've got to be happy with that, having played probably the two best sides in the league away from home already.

Interesting, though perhaps not that surprising, that the usual moaners who were out in force after the Lincoln and Wigan matches on here are not to be seen today.

These are good times to be following Argyle. Buckle up and enjoy the ride!

Penlee

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Very enjoyable match against what appears to be a poor Doncaster side (are we making teams look poor?)

I was concerned with the erratic ref, gave Donny especially a lot of dubious free kicks and missed obvious ones like the one on Byron Moore which should have been a yellow, not given.

He did though provide us with an assist in the build up to Jephcott's goal, playing a one two with Mayor in the middle of the park (although he didn't apply the law of stopping the game if it hits the ref rather than just playing on :shock: :lol: )

Jul 12, 2016
Bezza":3nb89cby said:
A really important win against Donny who have been a bit of a bogey side at Home Park in recent seasons. Yes it was a narrow win but two positions away from the Play-offs, you've got to be happy with that, having played probably the two best sides in the league away from home already.

Interesting, though perhaps not that surprising, that the usual moaners who were out in force after the Lincoln and Wigan matches on here are not to be seen today.

These are good times to be following Argyle. Buckle up and enjoy the ride!
As somebody who is perceived as "a usual moaner" you may note that I have already praised last night's result. IMO to criticise the players performance when I feel it is warranted is not moaning but giving a viewpoint which you may not agree with . We are seeing some improvement but it is far too early to get carried away.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Very pleasing win over a team who started 2 places above us in the table.
Always a good sign when you have to consider 3 or more candidates for motm.
Mayor leaving the defender on his arse before setting up Jephcott was the moment of the season so far. Without doubt he was our most influential player in the first 45 but, again only sporadically in the second .
Opoku was also very good as was Watts. Moore had his best game so far but is still not at the level of last season.
Worryingly Fornah once again all but disappeared in the second half and it was his mis control inside our own half which left us exposed for their goal. Fortunately Fornahā€™s absence wasnā€™t as noticeable as at Lincoln and Wigan as Camara was full of running and timely recoveries. In the end I thought Edwards was our best player overall for his consistency over 90 minutes topped off with a goal.
Harsh yellow for Hardie who only returned the ball back the 10 yards that Donny had stolen at the free kick .... and I think the ref should have spotted that it was so obvious
Loads usually say that we should be judged after 10 games. Well, weā€™re nearly there and we are doing okay with some areas for improvement

Dec 30, 2011
Top6utd":a0cipvft said:
Well done Argyle

Positives going forward.

We are winning at home, scoring a couple goals consistently, against different range of opponents(Doncaster, Blackpool, Northampton etc.).

Despite our limited amount of clean sheets across all games(2 so far), we finish games with a win...at home.

Our negatives are away from home, which is perhaps irrelevant, in the short term, with our next away league game against Fleetwood, in a months time..as well as tonight.

All the same, our inability to outscore Wigan, or to fail to score against hull and Lincoln, has lead me to believe, that there a positives going forward for us away from home...if we can get more creativity to support mayor.

Perhaps Telford can link things with him in a number 10 role, with..yes I said it.. a change of system... or something similar, as well as offering an attacking threat.

Otherwise, I worry away from home(2 draws, 2 losses).

So it's good that this is the only negative I can see, because, I genuinely believe we have better players, than our results away from home have suggested so far, and I can't see any negatives at home(4 wins, 1 draw).

We get results at home, and that's what counts.

Top stuff Argyle.

Keep it up. :D

I'd rather see George Cooper in a No.10 role than Telford

Dec 8, 2019
Herts_Green":1ilaqs0j said:
I also think Ruben was a better finisher - Mayor is too easy to telegraph at times in terms of wanting to come inside on his right foot and bend the ball into the far corner. It makes it quite easy for defenders to block which is invariably what seems to happen. I love watching him play though, there arenā€™t too many players in the lower leagues who really get you off your seat.
It works ok for Arjen Robben cutting if off the flank and curling one in the far corner. He was predictable yet no one ever stopped it

The Doctor

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
IJN":1emnd1y4 said:
PL2 3DQ":1emnd1y4 said:

I've been really surprised with just how often (and it is VERY often) the BBC Radio Devon commentators (all of them) get Argyle players mixed up. I suppose it is because they are not regular watchers of the team, but it's pretty poor really. I mean Mayor and Cooper (often mixed up down the left) look and play completely differently; Moore really looks nothing like Opoku etc. I seem to spend half of the games correcting their mistakes as I watch the game (force of habit). Apparently the other things I am saying a lot during games are:

1) "I really like Watts and the way he brings the ball forwards and I think he's a really good footballer"
2) "It's great to have proper midfielders with energy and presence in the side (Fornah/Camara)"
3) "Mayor is playing much better this season but it's amazing how often his touch is absolutely dreadful at the critical moment"

All of which are clearly correct statements!

cheshiregreen

āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
The Doctor":1pyil26i said:
IJN":1pyil26i said:
PL2 3DQ":1pyil26i said:

I've been really surprised with just how often (and it is VERY often) the BBC Radio Devon commentators (all of them) get Argyle players mixed up. I suppose it is because they are not regular watchers of the team, but it's pretty poor really. I mean Mayor and Cooper (often mixed up down the left) look and play completely differently; Moore really looks nothing like Opoku etc. I seem to spend half of the games correcting their mistakes as I watch the game (force of habit). Apparently the other things I am saying a lot during games are:

1) "I really like Watts and the way he brings the ball forwards and I think he's a really good footballer"
2) "It's great to have proper midfielders with energy and presence in the side (Fornah/Camara)"
3) "Mayor is playing much better this season but it's amazing how often his touch is absolutely dreadful at the critical moment"

All of which are clearly correct statements!

2nd half last night, Danny weaved some magic then his touch knocked ball for goal.kick and commentator said something like "he had too much skill there" :lol:

Aug 5, 2016
simon1argyle":38x8yi65 said:
Herts_Green":38x8yi65 said:
I also think Ruben was a better finisher - Mayor is too easy to telegraph at times in terms of wanting to come inside on his right foot and bend the ball into the far corner. It makes it quite easy for defenders to block which is invariably what seems to happen. I love watching him play though, there arenā€™t too many players in the lower leagues who really get you off your seat.
It works ok for Arjen Robben cutting if off the flank and curling one in the far corner. He was predictable yet no one ever stopped it

If you watch Lionel Messi, all he does is dribble into the box and shoot with his left foot. So predictable and one dimensional.

Mar 14, 2009
I feel its this simple.

If Danny Mayor was more consistent and had a better end product he wouldnt be playing in league one.

I enjoy watching him play immensely. Yes he can be frustrating because of his end product but he is still miles better than any other squad member in terms of running and beating a player.