Brief Synopsis | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I think last night, again, proved that we're more than capable of competing toward the top end of League 1 and that a play off push isn't at all unrealistic. There are kinks to work out, particularly second half kinks, but we're definitely good enough to mix with the best sides in the division, we haven't been swept aside nor been outclassed to any great extent by anyone we've played.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge":26bf8fcn said:
I think last night, again, proved that we're more than capable of competing toward the top end of League 1 and that a play off push isn't at all unrealistic. There are kinks to work out, particularly second half kinks, but we're definitely good enough to mix with the best sides in the division, we haven't been swept aside nor been outclassed to any great extent by anyone we've played.

Our away record would suggest otherwise.

May 30, 2019
RKB":2mlus4cu said:
football-bet-data":2mlus4cu said:
bringonthemilkman":2mlus4cu said:
Once again Mayor disappeared for most of second half which is so frustrating when he played so well in first 45.
Once again Telford added nothing after coming on ..
I thought Telford played well when he came on. Won the free kick (along with a few others) for the goal and headed it back from the resulting set piece. Yes Mayor was quieter second half but still a huge threat and great on the ball

I agree, I thought Telford was excellent. He held it up well, made intelligent runs and assisted the equaliser. Credit where it's due. When is Hardie's luck in front of goal going to change? 9 times out of 10 that strike would either have missed the defender totally or ricocheted off him into the net. You have to say on tonight's evidence Nouble deserves to start again on Saturday.

Agree. Thought Telford excellent when he came on. Nouble MOTM. Tough on Hardie, but you've got to score from 2 yds: and Ryan Lowe knew it. He is benched on Saturday.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Balham_Green":8ct5tpai said:
Cobi Budge":8ct5tpai said:

Our league position suggests my point is valid, and our league position is far more important than our away form.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge":3ff3jgf5 said:
Balham_Green":3ff3jgf5 said:
Cobi Budge":3ff3jgf5 said:

Our league position suggests my point is valid, and our league position is far more important than our away form.

:funny:
Your point is not valid at all. As if the two things are completely disconnected. Do you think the fact we have played 7 home and 4 away is relevant at all? Including away to the bottom team.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Cobi Budge":3k6o7l9h said:
Based on our League position, we are clearly flattering to decive.

Until we start to win away from home we will never compete at the top end. We have had a decent start but it is almost completely because of our home form.

Both Hull and Lincoln were happy to sit back once they had taken the lead because they were confident they would keep a clean sheet, something we cannot do. Many Argyle fans said that we played well and were unlucky to not get at least a draw in those games but both of those teams were quite content to let Argyle have the ball in the middle third because they didn't think we were good enough in the final third; as the results proved, they were right.

We now have 2 more very hard away games which is good because I think it will really show what we are made of and if we actually do have a chance of competing for a Play-off place. Have we learned anything from the Hull and Lincoln games?

As well as our poor away record we have 2 major issues that will limit us to mid-table at best.

Namely, our inability to score more goals when we are on top to kill games off and the constant individual defensive mistakes that have cost us goals in almost every game we have played.

It's still early in the season and if we could address those 2 issues, maybe we have an outside chance.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
demportdave":jfauh2az said:
Cobi Budge":jfauh2az said:

Until we start to win away from home we will never compete at the top end. We have had a decent start but it is almost completely because of our home form.

Both Hull and Lincoln were happy to sit back once they had taken the lead because they were confident they would keep a clean sheet, something we cannot do. Many Argyle fans said that we played well and were unlucky to not get at least a draw in those games but both of those teams were quite content to let Argyle have the ball in the middle third because they didn't think we were good enough in the final third; as the results proved, they were right.

We now have 2 more very hard away games which is good because I think it will really show what we are made of and if we actually do have a chance of competing for a Play-off place. Have we learned anything from the Hull and Lincoln games?

As well as our poor away record we have 2 major issues that will limit us to mid-table at best.

Namely, our inability to score more goals when we are on top to kill games off and the constant individual defensive mistakes that have cost us goals in almost every game we have played.

It's still early in the season and if we could address those 2 issues, maybe we have an outside chance.

Tbh I expect movement in the strikers if this continues in January I cannot see Lowe excepting us not taking chances however how much budget or whether any better available for our budget is the question.
Abraham will get a chance before January ghoygh as if not Fulham will recall him as hes learning nothing on our bench, I suspect he was signed in case Jephcott couldnt handle the step up at this stage

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
I think Nouble and Jephcott will start on Saturday. I like Hardie but he really is not taking his chances well at the moment. Telford was better than for a while but still doesn't look like a great goalscorer.

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
The league position is obviously flattered by the bias of home fixtures to away and yes the away form is a concern (although the FA cup win at Charlton shows promise), but we did mix it well on Monday with a side who recently have been very strong away from home and neither Hull or Lincoln battered us when we lost away. So Cobi's point about mixing it with the best and not being swept away in defeat is perfectly valid. A promotion bid may be a stretch, but mid-table security certainly isn't.

Expectations seem very high on here. Pre-season, we were predicted by bookies to finish 19th or 20th and I remember many on here saying they would take that. Now we are in November with a good run of wins under our belt and some people are still not happy for some reason!

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
edengreen":3dtgrpl8 said:
demportdave":3dtgrpl8 said:
Cobi Budge":3dtgrpl8 said:

Tbh I expect movement in the strikers if this continues in January I cannot see Lowe excepting us not taking chances however how much budget or whether any better available for our budget is the question.
Abraham will get a chance before January ghoygh as if not Fulham will recall him as hes learning nothing on our bench, I suspect he was signed in case Jephcott couldnt handle the step up at this stage

It would be a strange decision to expect an untried Abraham to be a better replacement for a well tried, performing Jephcott, considering his early season form. I seem to recall TA was the latest addition to the squad?

Jun 27, 2019
I think Abraham was signed partly to cover Jephcott's international call-ups. If Jephers was away and Big Frank, for example, was injured, we'd be down to just Hardie and Telford - with only Lolos as cover. Not a good position to be in.

Sep 6, 2006
Quintrell_Green":1x5u10gs said:
edengreen":1x5u10gs said:
demportdave":1x5u10gs said:
Cobi Budge":1x5u10gs said:

It would be a strange decision to expect an untried Abraham to be a better replacement for a well tried, performing Jephcott, considering his early season form. I seem to recall TA was the latest addition to the squad?

If he's not 'tried' how do we know how good he could be?! He was close to going on to loan to Dortmund so presumably he aint too bad!

Jul 12, 2016
Bezza":av2ok7e1 said:
The league position is obviously flattered by the bias of home fixtures to away and yes the away form is a concern (although the FA cup win at Charlton shows promise), but we did mix it well on Monday with a side who recently have been very strong away from home and neither Hull or Lincoln battered us when we lost away. So Cobi's point about mixing it with the best and not being swept away in defeat is perfectly valid. A promotion bid may be a stretch, but mid-table security certainly isn't.

Expectations seem very high on here. Pre-season, we were predicted by bookies to finish 19th or 20th and I remember many on here saying they would take that. Now we are in November with a good run of wins under our belt and some people are still not happy for some reason!
I would be happy with a mid table finish. This season is obviously going to be different, if indeed it finishes, because of the pandemic and to remain in league one is the priority.The next two games will give us more idea of how good we are.

Aug 5, 2016
Abraham deserves a chance. He didn't look too happy on that bench, and he seems our most like-for-like replacement of Hardie.

But I think Lowe would have cast a very good eye over every aspect of his game in training and perhaps doesn't think he is our best option yet.