Brief Synopsis | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Jun 27, 2019
If Swindon hadn't got a decent point at Charlton on the weekend then I would have decided on tonight's evidence that they wanted their manager sacked. It's surely the only explanation for a performance of such relentless ineptitude?

But maybe we should give Argyle all the credit rather than assume we only won because of the opponent allowing us to. That's now three highly encouraging performances on the road in the space of a week. Who would have thought we'd win at Sunderland and Swindon and only lose by the odd goal at Sheffield United?

Tonight was our most accomplished performance of the season. In all areas of the team and for 90 minutes. It was an absolute pleasure to watch and every single player deserves plaudits for contributing to it.

Well done to RL and his management team for turning things around after our disastrous December. We're now closer to the playoffs than the dropzone and have the away monkey off our backs. Things are looking up.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Whilst I was delighted to watch Argyle gain 3 away points, I was also conscious our defence did not have a load of pressure on them. I think a measure of Argyle's progress could be demonstrated should they also win 2-0 versus The Accies at home this coming weekend. It was difficult tonight to separate Hardie and Camara as MoM. They both had strong games. Let's hope they can keep it up this Saturday.

Aug 11, 2013
Probably the most complete away performance this season. A million miles away from the team who couldn’t buy a point not so long ago.

Our change in fortunes has coincided with Opoku who has found some form. It seems as if he has suddenly grown from a youth into a man. Much more focussed and confident. His improvement in form has coincided with us looking much better at the back. Fornah has grown as a player too.

If I had to nitpick I think we need to be more clinical with our chances. We were at 1-0 far too long for our possession and chances and it felt like we might pay the penalty of an undeserved equaliser.

Swindon were just awful. I laughed out loud several times particularly one incident where the guy was dribbling the ball unchallenged and tackled himself. Lost the ball and fell over. Glad I’m an Argyle and not a Swindon fan tonight !

These wins at Sunderland and Swindon will mean nothing if we don’t build upon those 6 points with pointage at home on Sat. Onwards and upward.

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
Before anyone has a go at me, I am delighted with the 3 points and another confidence builder. However I am a realist and this is my take on the game.
An average performance to beat a very poor side. Plusses: 2 nicely taken goals, with some good approach play at times. A largely untroubled defence and Coops will not have an easier game.
On the downside, innumerable misplaced passes to the opposition (which in the main were given back to us). Poor shooting as per usual, and crosses into the box were frequently overhit, underhit or just poo, Hence Jeffers replacement as he never got a sniff all night, and can do little else.
This was a match set up for us to score goals to improve a poor goal difference. We will have to find another couple of gears and be much sharper on Saturday if we are to keep the run going.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
lilcol":23r59gah said:
Before anyone has a go at me, I am delighted with the 3 points and another confidence builder. However I am a realist and this is my take on the game.
An average performance to beat a very poor side. Plusses: 2 nicely taken goals, with some good approach play at times. A largely untroubled defence and Coops will not have an easier game.
On the downside, innumerable misplaced passes to the opposition (which in the main were given back to us). Poor shooting as per usual, and crosses into the box were frequently overhit, underhit or just sh1te, Hence Jeffers replacement as he never got a sniff all night, and can do little else.
This was a match set up for us to score goals to improve a poor goal difference. We will have to find another couple of gears and be much sharper on Saturday if we are to keep the run going.

Key bit though. Hopefully the rest will come from that.

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
Agree confidence is key, particularly as it still is a very young side on the whole. Camara and Mayor outstanding amongst a strong team performance.
Enjoyable to watch and played well in both halves!

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Metal_Green_Mickey":289q837g said:
That was a great team performance over two halves of football.

Lots of outstanding performances tonight. Camara was my man of the match yet again but you could choose from a number of players. I thought Opoku had his best game in a green shirt tonight.

One thing l wanted to say which puts tonight’s results and football in perspective is the football daily podcast on 5 live. I heard people on here talk about it last night so l have had a listen.

Sonny Bradley you really are truly a remarkable person.

Loved how he conducted himself and how he talked about football. It brings it home just what football means to people and how it unites us all.

Thoughts are with Sonny Bradley even after this win tonight. Football results like tonight help put a smile on Argyle fans faces but it worth remembering in this weird times just what some people are having to go through and win, lose or draw we are lucky to have something that helps us to forget for a few hours the current plight that as a nation we are having to endure.

Well said.
I thought we made heavy weather (no pun intended!) of that! Swindon look down already, awful!
We were miles ahead but I don’t think we punished them like we should have and, but for a very good Cooper save, they could have scored with about the only chance they had! Think we need to be more ruthless in the final third, too much intricacy. Maybe I’m being over critical. Good performance otherwise. Pan MOM.

Oct 14, 2015
lilcol":2rij9k79 said:
On the downside, innumerable misplaced passes to the opposition (which in the main were given back to us). Poor shooting as per usual, and crosses into the box were frequently overhit, underhit or just sh1te, Hence Jeffers replacement as he never got a sniff all night, and can do little else.

More on the down side then the plus side????.... :sigh: :sigh:

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Mark Pedlar said:
lilcol said:

Absolutely agree our final ball was really poor at times. Felt a bit for Jephcott as he was feeding on scraps, Fornah still a concern for me and I still think we need a big dominant experienced centre half if we want to push on and up.

But on the ball we look very comfortable and easy on the eye and it was a comfortable win against a bad side, if only we could have found that final ball, it really should have been five or six.

Opoku looks a completely different player and seems to have made the step up now.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Sheridan is a dead man walking at Swindon whose fans want him out ASAP (if their Forums are any indicator) - can’t blame them really as he’s absolutely hopeless as a manager imho. Dour, attritional football like Pulis but without the results to back him up.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Emeraldinho":du2o5csm said:
Sheridan is a dead man walking at Swindon whose fans want him out ASAP (if their Forums are any indicator) - can’t blame them really as he’s absolutely hopeless as a manager imho. Dour, attritional football like Pulis but without the results to back him up.

Yes, if any manager can get their team spirit and confidence boosted for an away game at 2nd team Hull City on Saturday then Sheridan is not your man!! :doh:

Jan 30, 2016
I used to live and work in Swindon some 10 years ago and had many friends who used to support Swindon. They must be gutted to see what has happened to their club. Gone are the glory days of 10/12 years ago when Swindon had a team to reckon with. Argyle looked good last night but I think that the Swindon team did look poor with no stand out player to lead them. Did not look to me that Sheridon had much to work with. He is not a bad manager but has to have something to work with. I hope that Swindon somehow pull themselves out of this mess for the sake of my old friends. I look forward to Argyle on Saturday where I think they will face a much harder challenge. I am still hopeful for a playoff place if we can maintain this current form.

Sep 3, 2009
The last week has convinced me we won’t go down and that will be the main job done this season.

We needed to take 3 points against Swindon but the Sunderland result was a bonus.

Tough run of fixtures continues right through February. We have Accrington twice, who, but for games played, would surely be in the top 6. Sandwiched between those games is a visit to Pompey. Would be happy with 4 points from 9 across those 3.

Jun 27, 2019
999mattyg":1a97u9et said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1a97u9et said:
That was a great team performance over two halves of football.

Lots of outstanding performances tonight. Camara was my man of the match yet again but you could choose from a number of players. I thought Opoku had his best game in a green shirt tonight.

One thing l wanted to say which puts tonight’s results and football in perspective is the football daily podcast on 5 live. I heard people on here talk about it last night so l have had a listen.

Sonny Bradley you really are truly a remarkable person.

Loved how he conducted himself and how he talked about football. It brings it home just what football means to people and how it unites us all.

Thoughts are with Sonny Bradley even after this win tonight. Football results like tonight help put a smile on Argyle fans faces but it worth remembering in this weird times just what some people are having to go through and win, lose or draw we are lucky to have something that helps us to forget for a few hours the current plight that as a nation we are having to endure.

Well said.
I thought we made heavy weather (no pun intended!) of that! Swindon look down already, awful!
We were miles ahead but I don’t think we punished them like we should have and, but for a very good Cooper save, they could have scored with about the only chance they had! Think we need to be more ruthless in the final third, too much intricacy. Maybe I’m being over critical. Good performance otherwise. Pan MOM.

We definitely could have been more ruthless but we're still a work in progress.

Last night and recent results should show us that:

1. RL has clearly worked on the first-half/second-half thing;
2. He's found a formula to win away
3. He's proven he can turn things around after an awful spell of defeats
4. Things could be far worse - just look at Swindon!

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Surely Swindon are doomed unless they get rid of Sheridan immediately.

Great credit to our team but we have been to Sunderland Sheffield and Swindon in a week and they should have been right at us, they didn't press or show any aggression at all.

We were terrific though, so dominant, it was a really enjoyable watch.

Bobby Madley (ref) turned in a typical performance for him. As ever he should be measured on the big calls most of which he got wrong. A Swindon guy was clearly fouled in the build up to a great chance which Hardie fluffed first half. They had a free kick on the edge of the box second half which had he given an advantage from they almost scored (fine save from Cooper after the whistle). Lucky for Bobby that didn't go in as he'd blown to quickly for a free kick and could still have brought it back. Late on one of their guys wrestled Ennis back just past the half way line, so he didn't give anything rather than brandish a red card.

He did though play an excellent advantage on the edge of our box for our clincher.