Brief Synopsis!!! | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!!

Sep 23, 2005
If that is aimed at me PJ?
The point I was trying to make very clumsily was that I felt Hourihane had a blinder today, he has come on so well recently,and a much better game, in my opinion, than Young who was misfiring at times today.
Playing him so deep centrally with Blizzard more forward on the right seems a strange arrangement and not entirely helpful to his game specially defensively.

I love em all, by the way, specially when they play well :) Roll on Tuesday.

Jun 11, 2012
... Or was it aimed at me? 'Twould be strange considering I gave everyone a 5/10-8/10.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
I can't believe the number of expert managers we have on pasoti :whistle:

I blame the box play thing 2 (or is it 3) that you plug in and it drip feeds the user with the extra strong dose of ''Iamthebestmanager medicine'' :lol:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
It was a good game to watch but like others, I felt that the substitutions were delayed on a hot day, when it was too hot to sit almost on the Lyndhurst side of the ground. Argyle did not get much luck in the game, but I think they brought too much pressure on themselves by not pressurising Scunthorpe higher up the pitch. This may well have been JS's tactical plan for the game, or on the other hand, the warm weather on the pitch may have encouraged Argyle's players to pace themselves.

Scunthorpe were a good team but Argyle were not very far behind. It was a pity, a slipping over contributed to Argyle conceding the first goal and of course the rebound off the post hitting Cole's backside contributed to Scunthorpe's second. At least I felt I had my money's worth on the day.

Mar 23, 2008
tigertony":2p8b4w9i said:

I blame the box play thing 2 (or is it 3) that you plug in and it drip feeds the user with the extra strong dose of ''Iamthebestmanager medicine'' :lol:
........who as a concensus saw the game needed changing whilst our manager did nothing.

Aug 2, 2011
good game we were unlucky to lose. A draw would have been a fair result. Some of the comments here have clearly been made by people who were not even in attendance. Looking at the BBC match statistics and then turning that into an opinion of the game is laughable.

I do not know who is responsible for the BBC statistical analysis but their report this time was not accurate in terms of shots on goal.

The weeks ago JS was the greatest manager in the league now he is being berated because in the opinion of some he was late in his substitution. Just wish being an armchair critic was a paid profession.

derbygreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2003
Paignton....was Derby
I believe we could have got something from the game had we pressed them a little more and closed then down. We invited the pressure and marked space rather than their players. Their number 4 ran the show and we sat back and let him. We looked tired and unorganised but we were always in it. We really need to battle for 50/50 balls more and take a chance running at them rather than playing a ball backwards or side ways. A little luck and we could have scored a couple and a draw would have been perhaps a fairer result. Our number 11 looked out of touch and off the pace and should have been subbed earlier or not have started in the first place. Also already stated the substitutes were brought on far too late again. Better tactics and less fear and we could have won that game although I will say they were the best team I've seen all season. Very slick and organised.

L

love_walrus

Cracking game yesterday, really thought we were well worth a draw! Scunthorpe were the best side I have seen at HP this season, the whole game was played at a good pace with very little in the way of stoppages, both teams just wanting to get on with the game. Whe people say we were slow to close down, I think they dont give enough respect to our opposition!! Had we pressed higher up the pitch I really think that they would have exploited the space between our defence and midfield with their clever passing and possession football. So I have to disagree with a lot of people on here who think JS got his tactics wrong, had Alessandra's effort gone in off the post instead we would all be saying he got everything right!! Nobody can be happy at losing a game at home but the performance was a very good one yesterday and JS should take a lot of credit for that and not be taking a lot of stick which in my view is unwarranted! :wave:
The only change for me on Tuesday would be Purrington in for Parsons, who defensively I think was a weak link especially in the second half :oops:

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
1) Scunthorpe were very very good and we more than matched them.

2) To the people saying we sat too deep - we had too. Had we tried pressing them way up the pitch (especially with Blizzard in the team) we would have been mauled.

3) I'm not a fan of Trotman but he had his best game for us in a while, especially in the second half.

4) Berry is in great form and him and Parsons actually give us width (whoever said we played with no width yesterday is barmy).

5) Dear god Blizzard is slow. Wotton has no pace but at least he can actually anticipate situations and win 50/50's. Blizzard's pace, anticipation and agility is just woeful. Plus Dom's first touch and passing (which normally is good) was rubbish yesterday too. Wotton back in for Tuesday please.

6) Conor was excellent. Full of energy, supporting the attack with late runs into the box and won plenty of ball in defence too.

7) Reid did pretty well. Alessandra again superb and was inches away from a brace.

8 ) The referee was good for 75 minutes but then completely lost his head and decided to give a foul AGAINST Morgan when their number 5 was almost assaulting him. This happened a few more times afterwards and the ref gave nothing. Why.

9) Southend can't buy a win right now and Oxford lost again so there is still hope. More worrying is the fact that York are on fire and Hartlepool had a big win yesterday too. Also Cheltenham and Morecambe are finding their feet again after recent wobbles. We need a win on Tuesday because Accrington away will not be an easy game at all.

Ratings:
Cole 7
Blanchard 6
Trotman 7
Nelson 7
Berry 8
Young 7
Blizzard 4
Hourihane 8
Parsons 6
Reid 7.5
Alessandra 8

Jul 6, 2005
tigertony":2ib5q8yz said:

Get a grip and stop being so melodramatic.

Football is all about opinions, especially from those who pay to watch the game and follow their team.

Managers at all levels make mistakes, some more than others, but the good ones make less mistakes and usually learn from them.

Good Managers also make things happen by changinging the team or the tactics at the right time, they don't wait until it's forced on them because they are having to chase the game.

So it's not unreasonable to criticise Sheridan for his selection, his tactics and his poor use of substitutes. Many fans could see them scoring first yesterday, it was coming for much of the second half as they were dominating possession whilst their keeper barely had a save to make.

Yet Sheridan did nothing to change the game until they finally scored and he then throws on 3 subs with about 7 minutes to go. This is not the first time this has happened and that is why he is being criticised.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
tigertony":2g121hz9 said:

For those struggling to comprehend my comments let me add that this is a ''tongue-in-cheek'' comment (calm down graiser beh - in cheek!) to lighten the thread.
I try very hard in life to ''not do serious'' :funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iNuVdH-SNY

It wasn't a bad performance from the players. The blame for this defeat lies at the hands of John Sheridan. I think he's a good manager usually but this match, or at least the second half, brought out the worst aspects of his management - namely his allergy to substitutes and our failure to, when we have the better of the play, go for the jugular rather than sit back. Entertaining game with two teams playing good football: you can see why Scunthorpe are where they are. Deserved a point.

Cole - 7/10 - Didn't do much wrong and made one very good save that sticks in the memory. Solid.

Blanchard - 6 - Not bad but not great either. A bit slow to cover and his passing is still poor but didn't make any glaring mistakes.
Trotman - 7 - Not his biggest fan but he was good today, caught out on the ground occasionally but nothing got past him in the air. Best of our back three.
Nelson - 7 - Brought the ball out of defence well, covered the flank of the poor Parsons well too but a bit too stand-offish at times. Not bad.

Berry - 6 - Did an okay job defensively even if his positioning isn't the best. Quick and supported the attack well off-the-ball, but a bit technically limited when he had the football, crossing needs work.
Blizzard - 5 - Usually okay if nothing special, poor yesterday. The game passed him by and he wasn't good when he had the ball, surprisingly clumsy. Quite simply, a passenger.
Young - 7 - In an unfamiliar role as the deepest midfielder, looked calm and composed on the ball, spotted some great passes and was feisty and combative in the tackle. Physically outmatched at times but good.
Hourihane - 8 (MotM) - Energetic, all-round midfield performance. Good in literally all aspects of midfield play. Played like a captain, wore his heart on his sleeve, him and Young carried the ineffective Blizzard.
Parsons - 5 - Caught out far too often defensively, very poor game in that department. Wasn't bad going forward but an uncharacteristically poor game from him.

Reid - 7 - A handful. Had spells where he didn't get involved but looked most like threatening the Scunthorpe defence out of any of our attackers when he did: with his hold-up play, passing and trademark strong solo runs. Perhaps a little hesitant at times.
Alessandra - 8 - Very good. His work rate reminds me of Warren Feeney but he's skilful too. Constant threat to the defence, could do with an extra yard of pace but he's been superb lately, and again today.

SUBSTITUTES:
Morgan - 5 - Poor cameo, even though he was manhandled he should have won more aerial battles.
Gurrieri - 6 - Decent, kept the ball well but he's not a natural right-midfielder.
Obadeyi - 6 - Had a couple of good, skilful, quick runs but brought on too late and decision-making was poor.

J

just_ste

He has got us playing quite well but yesterday although Scunthorpe are a good team,I just felt he was way too negative,with our current form and confidence,he set us up to play as if we were giving them far too much respect,id even say we looked scared to commit anyone to go forward apart from the front 2,if we had attackef them we could have beaten them,ok we may have lost but we lost anyway,

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
On the whole, a very good performance and one that was a credit to League Two. Both sides played very well and quite simply one of them took their chances and the other did not. That doesn't mean we didn't play very well for most of the game and as Monkeywrench says, 95% of the time that performance from Argyle would have been enough to get a win. I've seen us play a LOT worse than we did today and win over my 12 years supporting us. Many times too. It's very harsh too to say that just because we apparently only had two shots on target then that apparently means that we didn't really have many clear chances A) That stat is false, I can remember Hourihane having one in each half and Gurrieri having one too B) We had many clear chances that weren't shots on target. Lewi's two that hit the post, Reid's header into the side netting, Blanchard's free header from the corner and Hourihane's other shot against the stanchion come to mind without even thinking. It's also wrong, imho, to say we were dominated in midfield. Both sides had spells where they broke through the others midfield and created chances- the only difference being that Scunny took two of them and we didn't take any. Finally, I also reject the criticism that subs should have been made. It's too easy to say with the benefit of hindsight. At the time, as I said to my mate at the game, we were playing well. Yes Scunthorpe were having a 5 minute spell before the goal but it was that kind of match. Each sides had 5 minute spells to various degrees and again it was only one of theirs that resulted in a goal. On the whole we were playing very well and could easily have nicked it without subs. Sometimes there isn't a great philosophical reason why we lost. Sometimes it's just a case of they took their easy chances and we didn't take ours. Ratings:

Cole-7. Generally did well and his command of area now compared to when he first arrived at the club is not recognisable. One very good save too and I'm not sure if the own goal was really his fault- seemed a bit of a fluke to me.

Blanchard-6. The usual fare from him. Very good in his actual defending but poor distribution.
Trotman-6. Another mixed bag game. Some very good commanding headers but some gaffes too which let them in too much. Passing perhaps better than normal.
Nelson-7. Another solid all round performance from him. Slowly turning into the complete defender. Did the dominant, positional and passing stuff pretty well today. One disastrous pass early on though which nearly cost us.

Berry-8. What happened to that player I used to think was poor?! Well, moving from full-back to wing-back is undoubtedly part of it. His ability to get up and down the line seems to focus him so much more. Covers so much ground out wide for us and much less mistake prone. His crossing has improved too and was much more involved in chance creation too. Got back to help the defence far better than his counterpart Parsons did.
Blizzard-6. Just too mediocre for me. He's SO slow. So slow that his positive attributes are nullified by it. For example one time in the first half where he dropped back into what was the perfect position to be in for him to pick up a loose ball. However in spite of having about a two yard head start, his slow reactions and movement stopped him from getting there. Not even remotely close to Cox and imo not as good as Wotton either. Wotton's speed of motion is also slow but his speed of reactions is so much better. Wotton would either have got to the ball before their man did or they would both have got to it at the same time- in which case Wotton would have won the tackle. Blizzard was however slightly improved in the second half when he didn't play like a bear with a sore head. Would still have Wotton back in for Tuesday.
Young-7. Decent display and once again showed off his superb passing range. A couple of his passes that went out for throw-ins were still very good, just that our wide attackers weren't quite sharp enough to notice it. Defensively questioned, got dispossed a couple of times.
Hourihane-8. Another excellent performance and one that proves surely beyond any remaining conceivable doubt that he's an attacking midfielder, not a defensive one and should be used as thus. His bounding forward with the ball through the defensive lines is a pleasure to watch, as is his high pressing. At times he reminds me of a League Two version of Yaya Toure. Take the shackles off him, let him play in this role permanently and we'll never see the timid player who passes sideways ever again. The only reason he only gets an 8 out of 10 is his finishing. Should have scored at least one if not two of his chances.
Parsons-5. After seeing excellent performances from him in his first few games at the club, this new incarnation seems a bit disappointing. He was very active getting up and down the line but so much of what he tried seemed to go mammaries up. Defensively suspect (he got back but didn't do his job well when he got back) and his crossing going forward was generally nowhere near as good as I've seen him do before. The one exception however being the absolute peach of a cross he put in for Alessandra the first time he hit the post. Generally an iffy game- what I don't accept however is the viewpoint that this means we should automatically shove Ben back in as first choice LB. Whilst Parsons has made mistakes, Ben made mistakes too which went unnoticed/unspoken. He was at least partially at fault for the goals in the Southend home game, Cheltenham home and one of York's goals in which he had an all round dire game. I like Purrington a lot and feel he has a big future but I think it's wrong how possibly due to his local status, his mistakes get a lot less scrutiny than Parsons' do.

Reid-7. Good all round centre-forwards performance. Won a lot of high balls with his back against the goal and flicked them on well to our runners. He was to thank for a lot of our possession in and around the 18 yard box.
Alessandra-8. He was an absolute menace for their defence today. Rarely have I ever seen a striker quite so full of energy and ability to move their centre-backs from their position with his absolute duracell bunny levels of stamina. Constant smart runs off the ball. As with Hourihane, he'd have got an even higher rating if not for the fact that he really should have scored. As excellent as he was today, and he really was good, I can't see that Lavery would have missed both of those chances.

Morgan-7. Looked bright and lively. If only the ref had penalised one or two of the blatant shirt pulls on him eh?
Obedayi-7. See above. Should really have shot when he had the chance in a good position though and instead tried to walk it into the net.
Gurrieri-7. Again similar. Should have done better with his chance.

Very gutting due to the way we lost but the performance was there. Just need to work on the finishing. I think we'll beat Chesterfield on Tuesday now. To have done so well but lost 2-0 will have put fire in their bellies, without a doubt.