Bristol Rovers match thread | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Bristol Rovers match thread

Jul 12, 2016
Pogleswoody":1ja7u683 said:
Not telling you your opinion just how you arrived at it!
Its not rocket science that strikers should take a pen.
If you dont like people questioning your posts dont post.

You think a striker should take the pens.
I think a different player should take two close together pens.
My opinion is hindsight to be sneered at.
Yours is the undeniable product of a superior mind.
Yeah ... that makes sense.[/quote]

Calm down dear. Just said it was hindsight. Wasnt sneering. If a player scores first pen it is not likely he is going to be taken off the 2nd one.
You obviously cant have a discussion without taking it personally so bye[/quote][/quote]

Not taking it personally but you thought a different player (a striker) should take the first pen, before it was taken?
I thought a different player should take the second pen, before it was taken.
Maybe we are both right? Maybe both wrong?
But I thought it 'before'. So accuse me of 'foresight' if you like! ;)

I'm calling pax's feynites BG. Doctor just said I can go home today, so today is a good day, full of love for my fellow pasotiites, I love you BG! :D[/quote]

You love BG !!!!!!!! Are you SURE you are ready to go home yet? :funny: Good health!

demportdave

šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
I don't have a problem with same person taking the 2nd penalty. Ultimately, it's all down to a good technique coupled with the required mental strength and Paul Wotton was about as good an example of that as you will find at any level.

Unfortunately, Sarcevic lacked both of those crucial requirements yesterday. He obviously realised it was virtually the last kick of the match and therefore the match-winning goal; but unfortunately, he wasn't up to the task and couldn't handle the pressure.

Although Sarcevic took a good first penalty, their keeper reckoned there was a good chance he would put the ball in the same place for the second one and he was right. I was stood in line with the goal and it looked as if Sarcevic didn't strike the second one quite so cleanly or far enough away from the keeper who having gambled on the same side, was down early to make an easy save.

It would have been a massive boost to have won again at another League 1 team and it makes me think that if we had stayed up last season, we would probably be mid-table at least if Wycombe being clear at the top and Rovers challenging for the Play-offs is any indication of the quality of League 1.

Rovers came through a very tricky away replay at Bromley in the 1st Round and this replay has got 1-0 Rovers written all over it. We missed a great chance to reach the 3rd Round yesterday and we may not get another.

However, I would love to be proved wrong and will welcome abuse if that is the case.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Think people are massively overcomplicating the penalty miss. The first penalty was a very good one, Sarcevic therefore had every right to take the second, which whilst on target wasnā€™t as good, that happens, the best players in the world miss penalties, and despite it not being the best penalty if the keeper had gone the other way or further to his right the ball goes in and we arenā€™t having this discussion. Also had someone else taken the second and also missed, people would be wondering why Sarcevic didnā€™t take it.

dunlop

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Nov 17, 2009
Cobi Budge":3c0nkyhe said:
Think people are massively overcomplicating the penalty miss. The first penalty was a very good one, Sarcevic therefore had every right to take the second, which whilst on target wasnā€™t as good, that happens, the best players in the world miss penalties, and despite it not being the best penalty if the keeper had gone the other way or further to his right the ball goes in and we arenā€™t having this discussion. Also had someone else taken the second and also missed, people would be wondering why Sarcevic didnā€™t take it.

Cobi not disputing your comment re best player miss penalties but if the keeper had have dived the opposite way the ball would have still hit the keepers legs.

demportdave

šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Cobi Budge":v084r6a1 said:
Nothing complicated at all Cobi, Sarcevic couldn't handle the pressure and bottled it with a weak penalty kick.

It has happened to many very good players in the past - Pearce, Waddle and Southgate spring to mind - and will do again in the future.

Sep 6, 2006
demportdave":30fgvxwk said:
I don't have a problem with same person taking the 2nd penalty. Ultimately, it's all down to a good technique coupled with the required mental strength and Paul Wotton was about as good an example of that as you will find at any level.

Unfortunately, Sarcevic lacked both of those crucial requirements yesterday. He obviously realised it was virtually the last kick of the match and therefore the match-winning goal; but unfortunately, he wasn't up to the task and couldn't handle the pressure.

Although Sarcevic took a good first penalty, their keeper reckoned there was a good chance he would put the ball in the same place for the second one and he was right. I was stood in line with the goal and it looked as if Sarcevic didn't strike the second one quite so cleanly or far enough away from the keeper who having gambled on the same side, was down early to make an easy save.

It would have been a massive boost to have won again at another League 1 team and it makes me think that if we had stayed up last season, we would probably be mid-table at least if Wycombe being clear at the top and Rovers challenging for the Play-offs is any indication of the quality of League 1.

Rovers came through a very tricky away replay at Bromley in the 1st Round and this replay has got 1-0 Rovers written all over it. We missed a great chance to reach the 3rd Round yesterday and we may not get another.

However, I would love to be proved wrong and will welcome abuse if that is the case.

Agree with above except 2nd pen was pretty central rather than in same place. Have to say was a very soft decision anyway. Looks like Moore just messed it up. Dont think he is the answer. Telford played him in well.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Balham_Green":ddrvzn4d said:
demportdave":ddrvzn4d said:

Agree with above except 2nd pen was pretty central rather than in same place. Have to say was a very soft decision anyway. Looks like Moore just messed it up. Dont think he is the answer. Telford played him in well.

To me, it looked like Sarcevic was caught in two minds whether to put it in the same place or do something different. Thatā€™s the reason I would prefer a different player to take a second penalty in a match.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Balham_Green":1q7wre61 said:
demportdave":1q7wre61 said:

I quite like Moore and I thought he was much better than Grant on the day, and also last week against Bradford. He makes the more intelligent runs & tends to keep the ball. Moore & Telford linked well and theyā€™re the two Iā€™d start at Cambridge.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
oldage":3rvawmed said:
Pogleswoody":3rvawmed said:
Not telling you your opinion just how you arrived at it!
Its not rocket science that strikers should take a pen.
If you dont like people questioning your posts dont post.

You think a striker should take the pens.
I think a different player should take two close together pens.
My opinion is hindsight to be sneered at.
Yours is the undeniable product of a superior mind.
Yeah ... that makes sense.

Calm down dear. Just said it was hindsight. Wasnt sneering. If a player scores first pen it is not likely he is going to be taken off the 2nd one.
You obviously cant have a discussion without taking it personally so bye[/quote][/quote]

Not taking it personally but you thought a different player (a striker) should take the first pen, before it was taken?
I thought a different player should take the second pen, before it was taken.
Maybe we are both right? Maybe both wrong?
But I thought it 'before'. So accuse me of 'foresight' if you like! ;)

I'm calling pax's feynites BG. Doctor just said I can go home today, so today is a good day, full of love for my fellow pasotiites, I love you BG! :D[/quote]

You love BG !!!!!!!! Are you SURE you are ready to go home yet? Good health![/quote]

I love you too oldy!! I love everybody today!! Thanks mate.
Anybody interested I have done a longer response on Terraces: Pogle's Progress. Every time I go past Derriford now, I will see it in a different light! :thumbup:

Sep 6, 2006
GreenThing":3i8afb1b said:
Balham_Green":3i8afb1b said:
demportdave":3i8afb1b said:

To me, it looked like Sarcevic was caught in two minds whether to put it in the same place or do something different. Thatā€™s the reason I would prefer a different player to take a second penalty in a match.

For the first pen - left or right. Same dilemma. Whatever the situation just be confident.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Balham_Green":3gxe1p7x said:
GreenThing":3gxe1p7x said:
Balham_Green":3gxe1p7x said:
demportdave":3gxe1p7x said:

For the first pen - left or right. Same dilemma. Whatever the situation just be confident.

Thanks Greeny, that was my point. On the commentary it said: 'Does Sarcevic go the same route or vary it?'.

May not sound much but, if you are all thinking along those lines? Keeper has just faced Sarcy, minutes before, Sarcy just took one, minutes before. If you put someone else in front of the keeper in the 95th minute there is lot less capacity for 'mind games'.
Telford and Mayor want a goal, Moore is a striker; so any of them walks up, the keeper thinks: 'Who is this? What is he going to do?'.
Player thinks: 'I'm going to score mate, game over!'. :scarf:

Jun 27, 2019
Cobi Budge":15fsjs4h said:

Interesting that you used the word 'overcomplicating' there. Don't know if you've read On Penalties by Andrew Anthony, but overcomplicating penalty kicks is exactly what his research finds leads to misses.

The process needs to be as simple as possible to increase your chances of scoring ie. decide where you're putting it, walk up, and put it there. Sarce may well have gone through that process for both penalties, but there's a fair chance he was nowhere near as decisive for his second as he was for his first. The process was complicated by having to factor in whether the keeper was going to second-guess him; that thought alone increased his chances of missing.

He shouldn't have taken it, and I said as much to the bloke next to me as he was stepping up.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Our only other in play penalty (not shootout) this season was taken, and converted, by Dom Telford.
I think that, if he remains fit and in the starting lineup, he should be our nominated penalty taker.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Antoni is not a clean striker of a dead ball.it was an awful penalty.penalty takers should be ordered to practice putting them in the top corner after every training session for at least an hour!