Build up to Wigan | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Build up to Wigan

May 3, 2017
I don’t have an issue with Cook either. I think back to that play off semi final win against Portsmouth when he entered our dressing room after the match to personally congratulate all the players. It takes class and humility to do that. He can be a bit gobby and over passionate at times but he’s decent bloke with integrity.

Dec 2, 2010
Agree with all that about Cook but there is no love lost between him and Adams, or Wotton!

When he gets rattled, Argyle seem to come out the better!

Feb 25, 2008
Crownhill
Balham_Green":1sdoqdn6 said:
TinTin":1sdoqdn6 said:
Can I help ?

I will be laying on the beach in The Philippines [30C] drinking cold beer !!

How CAN I help ?

Keep the Faith :scarf:

I get annoyed by these posts with nothing to do with the thread but boasting about what a good time they are having (whilst we are all freezing our B~lls off). Ever heard of Twitter of Facebook?

Miserable sod! :roll:

Jan 27, 2012
Wigan are a team that have been bankrolled by Dave Whelan for several years and pretty much bought their way into the Premier League. They are an Exeter City sized club and without all this cash they would not have been sustainable in the Championship let alone the Premier League. Yes I am very jealous. Shrewsbury, as far as I know, are up there on merit. Blackburn have also been pumped full of money and are in danger of going bankrupt if they don't go up I think. They are no bigger than Argyle and I expect to see them in League Two once the cash runs out, alongside Wigan. Sour grapes.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
gaspargomez":2t652360 said:
Wigan are a team that have been bankrolled by Dave Whelan for several years and pretty much bought their way into the Premier League. They are an Exeter City sized club and without all this cash they would not have been sustainable in the Championship let alone the Premier League. Yes I am very jealous. Shrewsbury, as far as I know, are up there on merit. Blackburn have also been pumped full of money and are in danger of going bankrupt if they don't go up I think. They are no bigger than Argyle and I expect to see them in League Two once the cash runs out, alongside Wigan. Sour grapes.
You were doing very well until saying Blackburn were no bigger than Argyle. You clearly don't know your football history. 3 league titles, 6 FA cups, 1 League cup, 48 England internationals and only 72 years in the top flight compared to our zero for everyone of thecaforementioned.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
They won the FA Cup in 84/85/86 Still the only club to do so.

You really do talk twaddle on occasions Mr Gomez.

Jan 27, 2012
Wigan = mostly non-league and lower leagues until Dave Whelan came along.

Blackburn = League Champions over 100 years ago but then did nothing juch until Jack Walker came along in the 1990s. A few pre-war FA Cup wins along the way.

Yes Blackburn won the FA cup three times in 1883-1886 ! By that rational, the Royal Engineers and Old Etonians are also massive football clubs because they have won it a few times as well.

I wasn't taking into account the Victorian football league. That was a few years before Argyle even existed !

Will we be going back to Tudor times to prove your point IJN ?

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
No arguement with Wigan. Without the money barely Exeter size. I know most of Blackburn's success goes back a bit but in their WHOLE history they have never been in the 4th tier, have only spent 6 years in the 3rd tier and have 41 in the 2nd tier and 71 in the top tier. Sorry but we don't come near to it.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Blackburn are bigger club BECAUSE of their history that was my point.

As for 'Before Argyle Existed' are you sure?

CiPLQvg.jpg

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
gaspargomez":1bjn12f3 said:
Which one are you IJN ?

I can see Blackburn Rovers disappearing into the history books if they don't get promoted this year. They only have marginally bigger cxrowds than Argyle and are spending well beyond their means. Not what I am advocating at PAFC before you chip in.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 24601.html

They have the millstone of the V H Group as their owners. That's what is dragging them to new depths.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
German Shepherd":3fe3e94p said:
A Rovers fan at work reckons they're spending 140 percent of turnover on wages !

Happens so often--utterly baffling. Delighted that Argyle seem to be developing a more prudent and sustainable financial approach. Frustrating on occasions but if we want our club to be here in the future we need a firm financial base. Spending 140% of turnover just beggars belief unless you can absolutely guarantee extraordinary returns on your player investment.