Burgoyne breaks his ankle (and possible replacement) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Burgoyne breaks his ankle (and possible replacement)

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Tony_Flags":3jbe75ej said:
My goodness, what an odd thread this has descended into. It seems we know who the Gary Miller haters have moved on to.

If we've got aspirations of finishing higher than 7th this season then we will need to find another goalkeeper, simples.
I don't think it's about hating a player at all, it's just common sense.Letheren is our number two goalkeeper. As number two goalkeepers go he is very decent, but if we want to progress we need higher quality.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Tony_Flags":16iqi0f3 said:
My goodness, what an odd thread this has descended into. It seems we know who the Gary Miller haters have moved on to.

Odd comment.

I don’t think anyone’s said anything nasty or rude about Kyle Letheren on this thread, just that we want to sign a first choice keeper and have Letheren as a back up, just as Adams did when he brought in Burgoyne, does that make him a Letheren hater?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Cobi Budge":3khldd6p said:
Tony_Flags":3khldd6p said:

Odd comment.

I don’t think anyone’s said anything nasty or rude about Kyle Letheren on this thread, just that we want to sign a first choice keeper and have Letheren as a back up, just as Adams did when he brought in Burgoyne, does that make him a Letheren hater?
the only person naming the first choice 'keeper is derek.

Mar 23, 2008
Mark Pedlar":33kd2ts6 said:
Dan Ellard":33kd2ts6 said:
Disagree with those saying that Luke is better than Letheren.

The Luke of four years or so ago was better than Letheren is now, no doubt. But over the past few years he's had more and more mistakes creep into his game. Adams clearly thought this too as he released him.

Luke is an ok League 2 keeper right now imo. Letheren meanwhile has shown he can hold his own in L1 and I'd say he's ok for this level.

From Wiki

2005–2006 Swansea City 0 (0)
2005 → Newport County (loan) 1 (0)
2006–2009 Barnsley 0 (0)
2009 → Doncaster Rovers (loan) 0 (0)
2009 Plymouth Argyle 0 (0)
2010–2013 Kilmarnock 11 (0)
2013–2015 Dundee 50 (0)
2015–2016 Blackpool 5 (0)
2016–2017 York City 28 (0)
2017– Plymouth Argyle 7 (0)

Letheren is cheap and a back up. 28 games for York City as they said farewell to League Football or 50 over 2 seasons for Dundee, which was the bit that showed he was up to League 1 football?
I guess it would be the fact that he played in league 1 last year and did well, so maybe that bit!!

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Daniel Farke reveals heart-to-heart with Remi Matthews

Matthews now looks poised for a loan move in search of first team football, having started the summer with ambitions to become the Canaries’ new number one.

As posted on the Old Boys thread a few days ago, my Canary pal had high hopes for RM this season and Norwich expected him to be challenging for the No.1 spot. Farke gave him the opportunity but pre-season has not gone well for RM. Interestingly, some of those errors were with the ball at his feet that we also saw last season.

Dec 20, 2011
Must be a good chance of Remi returning on loan even if it is for 6 months only. This is only based on the fact that he openly indicated that he enjoyed his period with Argyle and that he will already be acquainted with most of the staff.

will Norwich be prepared to loan him out again? ;)

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Frank_Butcher":1ewynexs said:
Daniel Farke reveals heart-to-heart with Remi Matthews

Matthews now looks poised for a loan move in search of first team football, having started the summer with ambitions to become the Canaries’ new number one.

As posted on the Old Boys thread a few days ago, my Canary pal had high hopes for RM this season and Norwich expected him to be challenging for the No.1 spot. Farke gave him the opportunity but pre-season has not gone well for RM. Interestingly, some of those errors were with the ball at his feet that we also saw last season.

That is very damning from the manager but on the plus side it opens the door for Adams to take Matthews on loan.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I thought Remi was quite shaky in the last 4/5 of weeks of the season I must admit.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Matthews is definitely overrated by a number of our fans.

He’s a good keeper for league 1 and i’d be happy enough to see him back but he was elevated to this messiah status when he was here, perhaps partially owing to his social media precense and therefore connection with the fans. He did make a number of errors which seemed to get overlooked in a way that they probably wouldn’t have been had McCormick or Letheren made them.

As I say, good keeper, but not a superstar, he’d be challenging to be Norwich’s no1 if he was.

Jan 27, 2012
How about a permanent transfer here ? More stability for his young family.

He might not want to be travelling from Plymouth to Norwich every week to see his baby- even if Argyle do want him back here. A permanent move would allow him to properly base himself here.

Jan 27, 2012
Probably- but if Norwich want to move him on, then they might need to pay up some of his contract.

He's not going to play in the Championship right now, so the alternatives open to him appear to be reserve football or dropping down a level where the wages are lower. He needs to prove Norwich wrong- so coming here may be a step backwards to take a step forwards.

Oct 14, 2015
Cobi Budge":1d2y36hz said:
Matthews is definitely overrated by a number of our fans.

He’s a good keeper for league 1 and i’d be happy enough to see him back but he was elevated to this messiah status when he was here, perhaps partially owing to his social media precense and therefore connection with the fans. He did make a number of errors which seemed to get overlooked in a way that they probably wouldn’t have been had McCormick or Letheren made them.

As I say, good keeper, but not a superstar, he’d be challenging to be Norwich’s no1 if he was.

Have to agree here Cobi.....good post IMO...sometimes appeared to casual but I'd have him back in a heartbeat

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I wonder if Matthews will play some part in today's match in Holland?