Burgoyne breaks his ankle (and possible replacement) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Burgoyne breaks his ankle (and possible replacement)

Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
Thomas Edwards":1b2frzq5 said:
I previously posted this in regards to Letheren during a debate about him or McCormick. I accept the team were not playing well but his record in goal was:

5 and a half games. 9 conceded. No clean sheets.

1 against Wigan
2 against Bristol Rovers
2 against Exeter
2 against Fleetwood
1 against Shrewsbury
1 against Blackburn

I don't want him to be our number one.

I only went to two of those matches. He was superb at Wigan , only conceding a late penalty & Blackburn where he was great in the first half until getting injured. The goal was conceded after he was crocked. Adams was gambling he could make it until half time.

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Unfortunate news for Burgoyne, hope he recovers well.

It looks like Connor Ripley is still available, that's the one I would like.

Failing that in my naivety I'd say cooper in and give it a whirl

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
Thomas Edwards":3sqzyoax said:
I previously posted this in regards to Letheren during a debate about him or McCormick. I accept the team were not playing well but his record in goal was:

1 against Wigan
2 against Bristol Rovers
2 against Exeter
2 against Fleetwood
1 against Shrewsbury
1 against Blackburn

A goalkeeper is only as good as the defenders in front of him ! Poor defending produces more chances for the attackers which in itself can result in more goals.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
lilcol":1x601t18 said:
Thomas Edwards":1x601t18 said:

1 against Wigan
2 against Bristol Rovers
2 against Exeter
2 against Fleetwood
1 against Shrewsbury
1 against Blackburn

A goalkeeper is only as good as the defenders in front of him ! Poor defending produces more chances for the attackers which in itself can result in more goals.

Indeed. It means nothing unless you have contextual information such as the number of opposition shots by comparison. At Wigan for example he was under siege at times and was quite brilliant.

However, that's not to say I see him as our number 1 for this season.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Cobi Budge":1rhobzbk said:
May be in a very small minority but whilst I’d take both, I’d prefer Roos to Matthews.

I agree, Roos was our best keeper last season but he seems to have jumped to number 2 at Derby since Lampard arrived.
Matthews seems our best option if Adams wants a quick fix, if not Adams has until the end of August to bring a keeper in on loan.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Thomas Edwards":1t7pl7ct said:

1 against Wigan
2 against Bristol Rovers
2 against Exeter
2 against Fleetwood
1 against Shrewsbury
1 against Blackburn

Jordan Pickford conceded 50 goals in 29 games for Sunderland as they were relegated. Everton then paid £25m for him.

At Everton he conceded 58 goals in 38 games and was still Englands No1 at the WC. I don't think you can simply define a keeper's ability on stats alone.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Reading the Norwich forum suggests their fans expected Matthews to be first choice, but apparently he’s made a number of errors during pre season and they’ve now brought in Krul.

John Cooper

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
IMO Letheren is an upgrade on McC but I’d still like to see another brought in as first choice keeper.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
John Cooper":2966hxh9 said:
IMO Letheren is an upgrade on McC but I’d still like to see another brought in as first choice keeper.

Not sure what Luke is like now, but for me he was a much, much better standard of keeper than Letheren is, and that’s meant with no disrespect to Letheren. Luke had real quality whilst Letheren is a steady and solid back up.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Cobi Budge":3n4sgbp5 said:
John Cooper":3n4sgbp5 said:

Not sure what Luke is like now, but for me he was a much, much better standard of keeper than Letheren is, and that’s meant with no disrespect to Letheren. Luke had real quality whilst Letheren is a steady and solid back up.

Spot on Cobi.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Mark Pedlar":2sd2zdfp said:
Cobi Budge":2sd2zdfp said:
John Cooper":2sd2zdfp said:

Spot on Cobi.

Seconded.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Personally in this event I would have gone with Cooper, however we need to consider we virtually have a brand new back 4 and an inexperienced keeper is not the answer at this time
Last season we had a settled back 4 and keepers could just slot in this season is going to be a difficult start trying to blood new defence and keeper at the same time
Ultimately if Cooper is as good as we all think he needs games at our level if you look at the lad Southend had he was playing from a young age in league 2 and they got promoted before he moved to Brentford in the championship
Lets not get ahead of ourselves if in the championship then you need to have experience at our level if they are good enough they are old enough and Cooper needs his chance sooner than later but I prefer it once the defence is settled myself