Burgoyne breaks his ankle (and possible replacement) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Burgoyne breaks his ankle (and possible replacement)

Mar 14, 2009
When’s a new goalkeeper going to play?

Will we chuck somebody in who l doubt now we get a chance to play a pre-season friendly? The timing of this couldn’t of been worse as you have no chance for a new GK and back four to gain an understanding.

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":2eipueaf said:
When’s a new goalkeeper going to play?

Will we chuck somebody in who l doubt now we get a chance to play a pre-season friendly? The timing of this couldn’t of been worse as you have no chance for a new GK and back four to gain an understanding.

We are where we are and we move on. No club in the country should be better prepared for the circumstances.

I expect the replacement is either lined up or plans a to d are in motion.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
We’ll be getting a new keeper, I expect.

The back up keeper is for short term injuries, and to come on if the number 1 is sent off or something. Not as much for taking over the top spot for months or seasons, unless they’re very highly rated.

Remi Matthews came in for the Wimbledon away game last season having barely met his teammates, and did very well.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
gaspargomez":3azyqj9o said:
Alongside Kennedy (St Johnstone) Matthews is another young player with real potential.

Strange as you've been so against signing lower league rejects before (making similar claims (guesses) about the budget), and now we have a player who Portsmouth didn't want and you're practically begging that we sign him?

Only in your confused little world I guess.

It's sad that you can't see the quality in Lameiras yet you're practically moist over a one trick pony with a bit of pace. Still, "each to their own" and all that...

Can I ask, what do you think the bottom half of Scottish football equates to in terms of quality of football in the English pyramid? Also, with your pre-historic "attendances are the only thing that matter in a budget" viewpoint, St Johnstone's normal home gate is under 5,000. So why would Kennedy join such a small club?

Face it - he isn't very good. Wake up and smell the coffee sunshine.

(Edit - yes, this is word for word what I posted in another thread the other day, but as you spend your life repeating yourself, I might as well too).

Aug 5, 2016
Metal_Green_Mickey":25384ln1 said:
I’m not sure we will get another keeper in.

Letheren did a decent job last season. What’s the point of having a squad if every time you have an injury you don’t think the back up is good enough. If that’s the case we shouldn’t really sign them as back up because effectively we are saying we don’t trust them.

Only a few days ago some people weren’t even sure who was our no1 was gonna be as people thought it was too close to call.

'Back up' is coming in for a game or two, or at a push, a month.

Injuries happen all the time, as do suspensions and personal circumstances. That's why it's sensible to have back up, for when a player is at the hospital witnessing the birth of his child while we're at Coventry away.

At this stage Burgoyne might not be fit to play before Christmas. We have ample time to get a replacement first team League One quality keeper. DA would be mad not to go and get one.

If Letheren starts the season then he's not the back up keeper. He will effectively start the season as the senior goalkeeper and Cooper will be the back up.

Is this the best situation Adams can arrange, and is it a goalkeeping set up worthy of promotion to the Championship? I'd imagine the answer to both questions is no.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Matthews is not in the Norwich squad for tonight's friendly game against Luton which has surprised the Norwich fans. Krul starts and Northern Ireland international McGovern is the sub keeper, he played 20 games in the Championship two seasons ago for Norwich but none last season.

Jul 6, 2011
Neilz5419":2cor0r65 said:
I would have thought cancel the loan with wolves and start again, i wouldnt want cooper or letheren as number one, if it was the case to have letheren and cooper 1 and 2 adams wouldnt have brought in harry. Its back to the drawing board for the number 1 spot and cooper out on loan

Have you actually seen Cooper play or are you just going by his age?

Jun 24, 2008
It might be worth considering that the plan was to loan Cooper out for some serious game time and experience. Harry's injury could have affected this too. Easy to assume Letheren will take his place and Cooper on the bench, but then Cooper won't be able to go out on loan until January.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Our luck with goalkeepers is quite astonishing of late!

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":1z4f36dk said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1z4f36dk said:
I’m not sure we will get another keeper in.

Letheren did a decent job last season. What’s the point of having a squad if every time you have an injury you don’t think the back up is good enough. If that’s the case we shouldn’t really sign them as back up because effectively we are saying we don’t trust them.

Only a few days ago some people weren’t even sure who was our no1 was gonna be as people thought it was too close to call.

'Back up' is coming in for a game or two, or at a push, a month.

Injuries happen all the time, as do suspensions and personal circumstances. That's why it's sensible to have back up, for when a player is at the hospital witnessing the birth of his child while we're at Coventry away.

At this stage Burgoyne might not be fit to play before Christmas. We have ample time to get a replacement first team League One quality keeper. DA would be mad not to go and get one.

If Letheren starts the season then he's not the back up keeper. He will effectively start the season as the senior goalkeeper and Cooper will be the back up.

Is this the best situation Adams can arrange, and is it a goalkeeping set up worthy of promotion to the Championship? I'd imagine the answer to both questions is no.

That's why I suspect we will not be a team worthy of promotion to the Championship this season.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
macleanie":105gbotl said:
It might be worth considering that the plan was to loan Cooper out for some serious game time and experience. Harry's injury could have affected this too. Easy to assume Letheren will take his place and Cooper on the bench, but then Cooper won't be able to go out on loan until January.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Our luck with goalkeepers is quite astonishing of late!

Loan rules are different for non-league clubs so Cooper will be able to go out on loan earlier than January, if that turns out to be a plan.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
I previously posted this in regards to Letheren during a debate about him or McCormick. I accept the team were not playing well but his record in goal was:

5 and a half games. 9 conceded. No clean sheets.

1 against Wigan
2 against Bristol Rovers
2 against Exeter
2 against Fleetwood
1 against Shrewsbury
1 against Blackburn

I don't want him to be our number one.