Can we get a honest commentator? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Can we get a honest commentator?

Oct 20, 2015
Biggs":4xctt0b9 said:
I keep meaning to listen to the away commentators and keep forgetting. Will definitely do next time.

I think at this point of the season, I may just keep my tenner for the home games too. Though it's a slight conondrum as I think Argyle still got my money from yesterday.

This raises a good point. In normal times, we'd see gates petering away as performances (and expectations) dropped off. This directly hurts the club in lost gate receipts.

I think the club is more insulated from this because of COVID/no crowd. We're often paying a tenner to watch because it's easier, cheaper and more convenient than going to Home Park. Some of that tenner makes its way to PAFC Ltd but I wonder how much Lowe is directly exposed to the pressures of a dwindling home following.

(Disclaimer: I write as a pilgrim in exile in Warwickshire, so I am guessing a bit about local supporters' actions)

slingsby_pobble":1zlmjin2 said:
Biggs":1zlmjin2 said:
I keep meaning to listen to the away commentators and keep forgetting. Will definitely do next time.

I think at this point of the season, I may just keep my tenner for the home games too. Though it's a slight conondrum as I think Argyle still got my money from yesterday.

This raises a good point. In normal times, we'd see gates petering away as performances (and expectations) dropped off. This directly hurts the club in lost gate receipts.

I think the club is more insulated from this because of COVID/no crowd. We're often paying a tenner to watch because it's easier, cheaper and more convenient than going to Home Park. Some of that tenner makes its way to PAFC Ltd but I wonder how much Lowe is directly exposed to the pressures of a dwindling home following.

(Disclaimer: I write as a pilgrim in exile in Warwickshire, so I am guessing a bit about local supporters' actions)

Maybe but do the players care about that? It's a shame we're not there in person to shout our displeasure at some of the recent performances especially during the second half.

I watched about 12 games up to the Northampton debacle and that performance was enough for me. Since then I haven't regretted missing a match.

Oct 20, 2015
Aaron D.":11f9yg9s said:
slingsby_pobble":11f9yg9s said:
Biggs":11f9yg9s said:

Maybe but do the players care about that? It's a shame we're not there in person to shout our displeasure at some of the recent performances especially during the second half.

I watched about 12 games up to the Northampton debacle and that performance was enough for me. Since then I haven't regretted missing a match.

Yes I completely agree, I'm certain that even an away crowd would be making their displeasure known after a performance like Monday's. I suppose my point is that there would be other pressures on the manager apart from the more obvious ear-bashing on match day.

I think it's probably time for a 'Summer Transfer Keep-Not Sure-Sell' thread just to remind every player that we're watching.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Gary Sawyer is a fantastic guy and a great club servant but Iā€™m never a fan of existing squad members or club staff being the co commentator, because thereā€™s just no objectivity, and itā€™s slightly annoying hearing about how fantastic all of the players are when youā€™re 3 nil down.

Sep 3, 2009
I agree that Rob McNichol is knowledgeable and has ability as a commentator - but he is biased to the point of irritation.

When he does offer some negative analysis about an Argyle player, he immediately qualifies is as ā€˜not a criticismā€™ and backtracks on it.

We do seem to live in an age of corporate communication where PAFC is concerned. Itā€™s the one bugbear - where is it possible to find objective analysis of our performances?

Feb 12, 2019
Plymouth
I think Rob McNichol is an outstanding commentator!! He really gives me a good vision of the game unlike others! As for who co commentates i would say Sean McCarthy and Gritton are my favs

The Doctor

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Rob McNicol is absolutely fine as commentator (although I canā€™t listen to him talk without thinking that he is Ben Shepherd) but it just doesnā€™t work having an Argyle player such as Gary Sawyer as co-commentator. Personally I really donā€™t like Sean McCarthy and donā€™t much like Brian McGlinchy. Martin Gritton is good and Ian Stonebridge was also good last week. Others that are okay are David Fox and David Norris. I think a former player works well - they have a clear link and fondness of Argyle but also have experience of other clubs and managers and are able to be a little more critical.

May 8, 2011
Perhaps now the ifollow commentary is an in-house production that the co commentator will always be a current player or employee and that the former players will only be heard on the Radio Devon commentary.