Can we get a honest commentator? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Can we get a honest commentator?

Oct 20, 2015
Biggs":4xctt0b9 said:
I keep meaning to listen to the away commentators and keep forgetting. Will definitely do next time.

I think at this point of the season, I may just keep my tenner for the home games too. Though it's a slight conondrum as I think Argyle still got my money from yesterday.

This raises a good point. In normal times, we'd see gates petering away as performances (and expectations) dropped off. This directly hurts the club in lost gate receipts.

I think the club is more insulated from this because of COVID/no crowd. We're often paying a tenner to watch because it's easier, cheaper and more convenient than going to Home Park. Some of that tenner makes its way to PAFC Ltd but I wonder how much Lowe is directly exposed to the pressures of a dwindling home following.

(Disclaimer: I write as a pilgrim in exile in Warwickshire, so I am guessing a bit about local supporters' actions)

slingsby_pobble":1zlmjin2 said:
Biggs":1zlmjin2 said:
I keep meaning to listen to the away commentators and keep forgetting. Will definitely do next time.

I think at this point of the season, I may just keep my tenner for the home games too. Though it's a slight conondrum as I think Argyle still got my money from yesterday.

This raises a good point. In normal times, we'd see gates petering away as performances (and expectations) dropped off. This directly hurts the club in lost gate receipts.

I think the club is more insulated from this because of COVID/no crowd. We're often paying a tenner to watch because it's easier, cheaper and more convenient than going to Home Park. Some of that tenner makes its way to PAFC Ltd but I wonder how much Lowe is directly exposed to the pressures of a dwindling home following.

(Disclaimer: I write as a pilgrim in exile in Warwickshire, so I am guessing a bit about local supporters' actions)

Maybe but do the players care about that? It's a shame we're not there in person to shout our displeasure at some of the recent performances especially during the second half.

I watched about 12 games up to the Northampton debacle and that performance was enough for me. Since then I haven't regretted missing a match.

Oct 20, 2015
Aaron D.":11f9yg9s said:
slingsby_pobble":11f9yg9s said:
Biggs":11f9yg9s said:

Maybe but do the players care about that? It's a shame we're not there in person to shout our displeasure at some of the recent performances especially during the second half.

I watched about 12 games up to the Northampton debacle and that performance was enough for me. Since then I haven't regretted missing a match.

Yes I completely agree, I'm certain that even an away crowd would be making their displeasure known after a performance like Monday's. I suppose my point is that there would be other pressures on the manager apart from the more obvious ear-bashing on match day.

I think it's probably time for a 'Summer Transfer Keep-Not Sure-Sell' thread just to remind every player that we're watching.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Gary Sawyer is a fantastic guy and a great club servant but I’m never a fan of existing squad members or club staff being the co commentator, because there’s just no objectivity, and it’s slightly annoying hearing about how fantastic all of the players are when you’re 3 nil down.

Sep 3, 2009
I agree that Rob McNichol is knowledgeable and has ability as a commentator - but he is biased to the point of irritation.

When he does offer some negative analysis about an Argyle player, he immediately qualifies is as ‘not a criticism’ and backtracks on it.

We do seem to live in an age of corporate communication where PAFC is concerned. It’s the one bugbear - where is it possible to find objective analysis of our performances?

Feb 12, 2019
Plymouth
I think Rob McNichol is an outstanding commentator!! He really gives me a good vision of the game unlike others! As for who co commentates i would say Sean McCarthy and Gritton are my favs

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Rob McNicol is absolutely fine as commentator (although I can’t listen to him talk without thinking that he is Ben Shepherd) but it just doesn’t work having an Argyle player such as Gary Sawyer as co-commentator. Personally I really don’t like Sean McCarthy and don’t much like Brian McGlinchy. Martin Gritton is good and Ian Stonebridge was also good last week. Others that are okay are David Fox and David Norris. I think a former player works well - they have a clear link and fondness of Argyle but also have experience of other clubs and managers and are able to be a little more critical.

May 8, 2011
Perhaps now the ifollow commentary is an in-house production that the co commentator will always be a current player or employee and that the former players will only be heard on the Radio Devon commentary.