Charlton Athletic v Plymouth Argyle - the build up | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Charlton Athletic v Plymouth Argyle - the build up

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
David Button
Dean Parrett

Jul 6, 2011
Green as Grass":2urp19oh said:
On Boxing Day 1960 we played away to Charlton and lost 6-4. The following day we played them in the return match at Home Park and beat them 6-4. I was there and you could not look away for a minute, it was raining goals. What a match !!

For some reason in those days the Christmas matches invariably produced plenty of goals. I think it was defenders getting into the Christmas spirit. :scarf:

Didn't Wilf Carter play and score that day?

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
Our scores against Charlton in the early sixties were quite remarkable. Thanks to Greens on Screen they were as follows:-

1959/60 Home 6-4 (Wilf Carter scored 3) Away 2-5
1960/61 Home 6-4 (Wilf Carter scored 5) Away 4-6
1961/62 Home 2-1 Away 1-3
1962/63 Home 6-1 (Wilf Carter scored 3) Away 3-6

All these matches were played in Division 2 ( now known as the Championship). Things returned to more normal scoring after that although we did lose at home 1-5 in 64/65 and 1-4 in 67/68 after which we were relegated back into the third tier of English Football.
In those 9 seasons in Division 2 from 1959/60 to 1967/68 we only managed to avoid defeat once at the Valley when in 1965/66 we got a 1-1 draw.
Hopefully on Boxing Day Argyle will repeat their FA Cup heroics and give us some festive joy. :thumbs:

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
My one and only visit to the Valley was in 1976. Train all the way down from Rosyth for a Friday night match. Hardly any Argyle on the away end. Charlton won 3-0 I think. They had a goal machine called Derek Hales who scored that night and got about 30 for the season.

Train back up to Rosyth overnight and stopped off to watch Sunderland V Liverpool at Roker Park. Kevin Keegan scored the winner. Proper football weekend!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Derek Hales, the bearded wonder. Him, Senior and Tynan were all from the same mould.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Good player Hales, but didn’t go any further did he? Strange, because he was quick.

Just looked him up. He did go onto Derby and West Ham but didn’t really do well there and returned to Charlton where he continued banging goals in.

Nov 2, 2004
Devongreenowl":116ta2wq said:
My one and only visit to the Valley was in 1976. Train all the way down from Rosyth for a Friday night match. Hardly any Argyle on the away end. Charlton won 3-0 I think. They had a goal machine called Derek Hales who scored that night and got about 30 for the season.

Train back up to Rosyth overnight and stopped off to watch Sunderland V Liverpool at Roker Park. Kevin Keegan scored the winner. Proper football weekend!

I was also one of the few, an all round rubbish night, although I have wiped the score from my memory.

Dec 29, 2011
Yes I was there that Friday night.I believe it may have been George Foster's debut.Not a memorable game for a debut but he certainly progressed from there

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
The Night Riveria":3ducfejr said:
Yes I was there that Friday night.I believe it may have been George Foster's debut.Not a memorable game for a debut but he certainly progressed from there

Foster made his debut well before then. I remember he used to get dogs abuse at first for a local lad. He rose above it though

Aug 5, 2015
The early Foster deserved it as he was originally a striker in the Terry Austin mould. It was only when he converted to centre half that he became a proper player and a fans favourite.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Kentishgreen":1vh3m9kc said:
The early Foster deserved it as he was originally a striker in the Terry Austin mould. It was only when he converted to centre half that he became a proper player and a fans favourite.

I saw him play up front and thought he was more in the Terry Pratchett mould. :facepalm:

I've always assumed that he 'starred' in the Beryl Cook Argyle painting?

tCTG7eL.png

meetoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jul 29, 2010
The Night Riveria":39wl4g11 said:

I was at that match too having travelled up by coach from Plymouth as a 16 year old. The day was memorable for 2 reasons.... Firstly, the pre match firework display outside the ground and because our windscreen got smashed and we travelled back to Plymouth in the COLD like it. Would never be permitted now because of Elf n Safety.
Happy days!!!!