Charlton Athletic v Plymouth Argyle - the build up | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Charlton Athletic v Plymouth Argyle - the build up

Devongreenowl":58fvua1b said:
My one and only visit to the Valley was in 1976. Train all the way down from Rosyth for a Friday night match. Hardly any Argyle on the away end. Charlton won 3-0 I think. They had a goal machine called Derek Hales who scored that night and got about 30 for the season.

Train back up to Rosyth overnight and stopped off to watch Sunderland V Liverpool at Roker Park. Kevin Keegan scored the winner. Proper football weekend!

I was there too - although I thought it was 3-1, Brian Hall. There were fireworks before the game due to the time of year. As usual we stood with the home fans “for safety”(not my decision, I was 12) but for once that did have an upside, as we were on that huge terrace. The sheer size of it, just how far it went up and back, was amazing.

meetoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jul 29, 2010
Winchelsea Green":f377i2ok said:
Devongreenowl":f377i2ok said:
My one and only visit to the Valley was in 1976. Train all the way down from Rosyth for a Friday night match. Hardly any Argyle on the away end. Charlton won 3-0 I think. They had a goal machine called Derek Hales who scored that night and got about 30 for the season.

Train back up to Rosyth overnight and stopped off to watch Sunderland V Liverpool at Roker Park. Kevin Keegan scored the winner. Proper football weekend!

I was there too - although I thought it was 3-1, Brian Hall. There were fireworks before the game due to the time of year. As usual we stood with the home fans “for safety”(not my decision, I was 12) but for once that did have an upside, as we were on that huge terrace. The sheer size of it, just how far it went up and back, was amazing.
‘Time of the year’.... it was the 5th November :thumbup:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Pogleswoody":3ods8y2v said:
Kentishgreen":3ods8y2v said:
The early Foster deserved it as he was originally a striker in the Terry Austin mould. It was only when he converted to centre half that he became a proper player and a fans favourite.

I saw him play up front and thought he was more in the Terry Pratchett mould. :facepalm:

I've always assumed that he 'starred' in the Beryl Cook Argyle painting?

tCTG7eL.png

I continue to have that painting in the form of a jigsaw. I have not attempted doing it for years, but I believe all the pieces are present.

ngs

Apr 7, 2020
Andy Maidenhead":hm56xv6b said:
Anybody know what time squad left Plym tonight? At least should be clear run on motorways....only 1C in Maidenhead now..

No idea but it looks like G. Cooper wont be with them again, has it been said why he is missing?

Jul 12, 2016
ngs01":32pzvrtu said:
Andy Maidenhead":32pzvrtu said:
Anybody know what time squad left Plym tonight? At least should be clear run on motorways....only 1C in Maidenhead now..

No idea but it looks like G. Cooper wont be with them again, has it been said why he is missing?
Injured.

ngs

Apr 7, 2020
oldage":cj4kgncb said:
ngs01":cj4kgncb said:
Andy Maidenhead":cj4kgncb said:

Injured.

Thanks, missed that.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Winchelsea Green":3ewc6ufd said:
Devongreenowl":3ewc6ufd said:

You're right Re 3-1 Winchelsea - it’s a long time ago! I just looked it up and it was the third game in an eleven match run without a win! I was stood on that big open bank, but wasn’t that the away end? The home covered end behind the other goal was where all their singers were.

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
The big open terrace was on the side. I remember that well because in the early 1970s I took my 5 month old baby daughter there in a large pram which I could easily push around on the grass at the top of the terrace. My wife was away for the day at a wedding and I only reported my planned activity to her when she returned.

Jul 6, 2011
Today will prove if we have turned a corner or not. In the last 2 seasons Ryan has started a bit up and down, but finished with a promotion, so....
Top half of the table would do me though.
1-1 draw

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
R Dawe":1f1go0fx said:
The big open terrace was on the side. I remember that well because in the early 1970s I took my 5 month old baby daughter there in a large pram which I could easily push around on the grass at the top of the terrace. My wife was away for the day at a wedding and I only reported my planned activity to her when she returned.

If you look on the images on Google there was a big open terrace behind one goal, where I definitely stood, plus a big open side terrace. The home end was the covered end behind the other goal. So we are all correct!