Charlton v Argyle match thread | Page 16 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Charlton v Argyle match thread

Graham Clark

āœ… Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
Emma Jones has been doing match commentaries for BBC Radio London for 15 years. She regularly covers the Premiership and Championship games for them. I thought Sam Parkin was an informed pretty even handed as co-commentator. I thought his observations on Jephcott were particularly interesting as an ex-pro. He was more impressed than he expected to be. He thought he movement of Argyleā€™s front two, particularly in the first half caused a normally resolute Charltonā€™s defence a lot of problems.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003
Larry David":1qy194iv said:
Keepitgreen":1qy194iv said:
Cobi Budge":1qy194iv said:
Watching the highlights & Charltonā€™s 1st should never have stood, Iā€™m not usually one for excuses but Watts was wrestled to the ground from the corner which directly led to the goal.
Agreed. The Charlton commentators admitted that if it had been the other way round they'd have been shouting for the foul.

The Charlton commentators were morons. Called Canavan Pearce the whole game! And were adamant man for man Charlton are far superior to Argyle. Once it was 1-1 they were saying weā€™re definitely going to go on and win this now Plymouth have no confidence.

I think there were different commentaries. I had your commentators. Pair of doughnuts who were arrogant beyond belief and said exactly what youā€™ve posted.

Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
I thought Emma Jones was excellent & any commentator that only refers to us as Argyle gets my vote.
I thought Sam Parkin was very good too.
The pair of them had obviously done their homework before the game unlike many non Argyle commentators who just turn up & have no idea who each player is.

Princerock

ā™£ļø PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
At the start I seemed to be listening to a premiership commentary.....when it was put right the commentary team showed no excitement in proceedings at all.....and for our second I assumed it had been disallowed by the tone of their voices at first....so poor not to have away commentators........and then to have to watch it with one camera limited the experience a lot.

up the line

šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
I thought the commentary team were very good... and in fact better and more insightful than a lot of the normal 'Argyle specific' crew from Radio Devon.
I thought Emma Jones kept the description of events simple and Sam Parkin had far more to offer in terms of insight on shape and tactics than McCarthy (who could talk a glass eye to sleep) normally does.
Both were very complimentary about Argyle and who can blame them for being a bit surprised at our first half performance when we'd recently lost 6 in a row and they'd gone unbeaten for a prolonged period.
They were also absolutely correct (and some on here could do with listening to them) when they pointed out the disparity in experience between both sides... Charlton fielding many ex championship, highly experienced full international and fa cup winning players whilst Argyle's side is made up of players who have largely played fourth division football, youngsters in their first full season, waifs and strays and journeymen.
Of course they were going to be slightly surprised by how well we acquitted ourselves first half and of course there was going to be a period whereby Charltons quality put them on top

Keith Whitfield

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Mar 30, 2015
I also thought that the commentary was very good, especially as it was the home team's commentators. They had clearly done their homework on Argyle, including that we prefer to be called "Argyle", and kept the commentary clear and to the point. No distractions like the scores in rugby matches, other football matches or what a politician was saying and a number of interesting points from a very experienced striker about how our front two were interacting. I'd be happy for them to cover Argyle again.

Keepitgreen

šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Keith_Whitfield":3azsmltp said:
I also thought that the commentary was very good, especially as it was the home team's commentators. They had clearly done their homework on Argyle, including that we prefer to be called "Argyle", and kept the commentary clear and to the point. No distractions like the scores in rugby matches, other football matches or what a politician was saying and a number of interesting points from a very experienced striker about how our front two were interacting. I'd be happy for them to cover Argyle again.
They weren't the home team's commentators Keith. Charlton have their own streaming service called Valley Pass so I assume they don't do iFollow.

Charltonā€™s live matchday streaming service has received a major overhaul with the introduction of Valley Pass Live, a new multi-camera show hosted by Scott Minto. He will be joined by guest pundit Alan Curbishley for the broadcast which begins at 2.25pm.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5fe2fa ... uth-argyle

Keith Whitfield

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Mar 30, 2015
Point taken, Keepitgreen. What I meant by "home" was that they were BBC Radio London rather than BBC Radio Devon. Some might say that the latter is sometimes not "home" for Argyle. My main point was that they were quite knowledgeable about Argyle despite being London-based.

A discussion between Scott Minto and Alan Curbishley sounds interesting. Both very knowledgeable about the game.

justanotherfan

āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
German Shepherd":3o1yqzel said:
I thought Emma Jones was excellent & any commentator that only refers to us as Argyle gets my vote.
The pair of them had obviously done their homework before the game unlike many non Argyle commentators who just turn up & have no idea who each player is.

This ^^^

Aug 8, 2013
A few thoughts after a night's sleep...

Thought Canavan and Aimson were both solid defensively,
and the passing from the back was considerably slicker than before.
Canavan was average in the first half and outstanding in the second,
Hardie the reverse; joint candidates for Man of the Match.
Jephcott's striker's instinct is verging on the genius level.
Joe Edwards was lively and effective again.
Our left side disappeared as an offensive threat in the second half
until Moore (who looked hungry) came on.
Our passing let us down again, with Mayor and MacLeod the biggest culprits.
We haven't had a league goal from a midfielder since the Swindon win; 10 games ago.
Mayor is now officially my "Most Frustrating Player In Green" ever;
he has outstanding dribbling and ball retention skills, but.....
he can't pass accurately over more than three yards, and...
he can only shoot from one position on the pitch (which the opposition
are aware of, and consistently block).
Bring on Oxford.

Sep 6, 2006
justanotherfan":4r0jrd2r said:
German Shepherd":4r0jrd2r said:

This ^^^

I liked the way she was very clear when she wanted a comment from the co-commentator. Think she could have shown more of a response to our goals though if only in a negative way.
Main gripe is with ifollow. Who is the plonker showing replays of meaningless action when the game is going on? Very nearly missed a goal. (Their crossbar effort). Incredibly amateur.

Sep 6, 2006
IJN":19y1a4ra said:
The Valley Pass pair were arrogant above and beyond belief.

Judging by the official Argyle site match reports I'm sure if the club provided commentary it would be just as biased.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003
Balham_Green":j5y16k70 said:
IJN":j5y16k70 said:
The Valley Pass pair were arrogant above and beyond belief.

Judging by the official Argyle site match reports I'm sure if the club provided commentary it would be just as biased.

He didnā€™t say biased. He said arrogant. Which they were.