Charlton v Argyle match thread | Page 17 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Charlton v Argyle match thread

Sep 6, 2006
Daz":3ds0c3rs said:
Balham_Green":3ds0c3rs said:
IJN":3ds0c3rs said:
The Valley Pass pair were arrogant above and beyond belief.

Judging by the official Argyle site match reports I'm sure if the club provided commentary it would be just as biased.

He didn’t say biased. He said arrogant. Which they were.

Think I know what he means. How were they arrogant and not biased then?

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
No, you don’t.

Everyone would expect there to be an element of bias with their own team, however declaring that they would go on a score several more after their scrappy goal was sheer arrogance not bias. There are other examples posted by others too.

Sep 6, 2006
Daz":1zaw2vpx said:
No, you don’t.

Everyone would expect there to be an element of bias with their own team, however declaring that they would go on a score several more after their scrappy goal was sheer arrogance not bias. There are other examples posted by others too.

Sounds pretty much like bias to me!

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Matchday moments shows an even better angle of Charlton’s first goal and how Watts was pretty much rugby tackled to the floor, no idea how it was allowed to stand.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Balham_Green":1z7lmd5r said:
Daz":1z7lmd5r said:
Balham_Green":1z7lmd5r said:
IJN":1z7lmd5r said:

Judging by the official Argyle site match reports I'm sure if the club provided commentary it would be just as biased.

I think you will find from the OED that arrogance and bias are defined differently. Arrogance leans towards how something is said with OTT conviction, rather than the content of that assertion.

Penlee

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Cobi Budge":3kzwckp2 said:
Matchday moments shows an even better angle of Charlton’s first goal and how Watts was pretty much rugby tackled to the floor, no idea how it was allowed to stand.

Very odd referreeing as he had a clear view of it and refs invariably favour the defenders in that scenario. If he had given it as a free kick then no-one could have complained from Charlton. People ask for consistency from refs which is virtually impossible BUT some things are generally given so you know what to expect in similar circumstances. I think he is one of the full time professional refs too. Odd.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Penlee":2tx1b2bj said:
Cobi Budge":2tx1b2bj said:

Very odd referreeing as he had a clear view of it and refs invariably favour the defenders in that scenario. If he had given it as a free kick then no-one could have complained from Charlton. People ask for consistency from refs which is virtually impossible BUT some things are generally given so you know what to expect in similar circumstances. I think he is one of the full time professional refs too. Odd.

What I also don't understand is how Pratley was able to chop both Mayor and Edwards around the box, stopping very promising attacks (free kicks given on both occasions) and not get booked.

Jun 27, 2019
Penlee":3ht5iizv said:
Cobi Budge":3ht5iizv said:

Had it been the other way around he probably would have blown for a penalty.

That said, he wasn't the only individual in that situation to make a mistake. Camara was tracking Gunter but inexplicably stopped, letting him run through unchallenged to score.

Oct 4, 2016
Much better overall performance, defence looked more solid.

Hardie works very hard and produces chances for others. Jephcott, what can one say, a great eye for goal.

As others have said, Charllton's first goal was obviously a foul!

Shame Aimson (i think) turned his back and did not come out to close down Maddison, might have put him off or blocked the shot to prevent the Charlton second goal.

MacLeod has made a massive difference in the past couple of games.

Well done to all for a professional and hardworking team performance.

Sep 6, 2006
Quintrell_Green":2wko54eq said:
Balham_Green":2wko54eq said:
Daz":2wko54eq said:
Balham_Green":2wko54eq said:
IJN":2wko54eq said:

I think you will find from the OED that arrogance and bias are defined differently. Arrogance leans towards how something is said with OTT conviction, rather than the content of that assertion.

Thanks for that Bamber Gascoigne. So are you saying its not possible to be arrogant and biased as well?! The 'OTT conviction' was as a result of their obvious bias towards their team I would suggest.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
BG, you are clearly right. Everyone that actually listened to it is wrong. Thanks for putting us straight. Well done.

Next time you’ve not heard something let us know and we can tell you what happened and you can tell us again that we are wrong. Thanks again.

Sep 6, 2006
Daz":1rlohfwk said:
BG, you are clearly right. Everyone that actually listened to it is wrong. Thanks for putting us straight. Well done.

Next time you’ve not heard something let us know and we can tell you what happened and you can tell us again that we are wrong. Thanks again.

So what you are trying to say is that in house Charlton pundits who commentated on the match and came across as very arrogant were not biased. Is that right?

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
It wasn’t them being biased. They were being arrogant saying that they would win by 2 or 3 after they scored.

The bias of thinking it wasn’t a foul is fine. The arrogance of proclaiming a big win is what riled argyle fans up.

Stop being that guy BG.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Btw, this is a classic example of you. No one said they weren’t biased (as said before we’d expect it). We said they were arrogant. Which they were.

Sep 6, 2006
And no-one said they weren't arrogant! They were biased in their viewpoint they would score more. Quite simple really. Night