Choose one loan player to loan again | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Choose one loan player to loan again

Which loan player would you keep?

• Fornah

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • Woods

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Lewis

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Opoku

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Watts

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters
Sep 6, 2006
Shoenice":1r8twm1h said:
jerryatricjanner":1r8twm1h said:
Shoenice":1r8twm1h said:
Opoku all day long based on the number of games played, consistency and potential. But for Opoku getting a shot at Fulham in pre-season, I'd be surprised if any of the current loanees are playing in the Championship next season (I include Opoku in that, but for a chance at Fulham).

I'm struggling to see a Championship club considering any one of them as a first-team player. For that to happen, you are looking at a player and deeming them to be above the standard of L1. Can we really say that any of the loanees have been head and shoulders above the rest in this league? I think Opoku potentially might draw interest but realistically I think he would only be viewed as a back-up option and he would want to go out and play. There are big clubs near the foot of the table with big resources in the Championship, like Nottingham Forest, Derby, Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday. Are they going to look at Opoku as someone who is going to be their talisman at the back, with the sort of spend that these clubs have? I doubt it. Even if Fulham went down, they have young defenders like Tosin Adarabioyo who they will more than likely retain. Is Opoku going to come in and displace this lad?

Who knows, but I generally expect to see them all in L1 next season.
I wouldn't have said Bakinson, Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid etc. exactly set the lower leagues alight playing for us but two have ended up in the Premier league and one as a Championship starter so perhaps we might be underestimating some of these boys or expecting too much from them too soon?

Comparing those three to our current loanees, Bakinson, Bryan & Reid are/were all higher calibre players and demonstrating more when with us than some of the loanees we have now, in my opinion. I wasn't in Plymouth to watch week in week out back when Bryan & Reid were around, but they were terrific for us. Pop a google search in for 'Joe Bryan PASOTI' and 'Bobby Reid PASOTI' and look at what people on here were saying about them. All kinds of superlatives. You don't read those kinds of things about any of our current loanees. That's not to say that the current loanees can't be doing things in a few years from now. But I just don't think that Kelland Watts and Tyrese Fornah have blown anyone away in a way that would make people in the league above sit up and take notice.

Bakinson was here for 14 games so it's difficult to make a judgement on him. However, like with Bryan & Reid, I do recall reading plenty of posts on here raving about his huge potential.

Fornah plays in that role where you don't get noticed so much. Think he has improved quite a bit. Not many mentioned his fantastic pass to put Hardie away leading to our first goal at Blackpool. Okopu definitely could play at a higher level.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
For all of the youngsters/loanees it's their first full season in professional football.
It's understandable if performances are up and down.

Okopu and Fornah have both been steady throughout, perhaps improving over the last few months.
Watts was probably our best loan player up until Christmas but his performances have dropped away.

Of our own youngsters Jephcott had a storming first half of the season and was nailed on as player of the season but as we all know he's fallen off a cliff since the Portsmouth away game. He could still finish the season with 20 goals.

The one player who has steadily improved is Mike Cooper and is currently the best young player.

Lewis and Woods haven't been at the club long enough to judge although Woods has something about him.

Taking young loan players from higher league clubs is always a gamble, as is playing our own youngsters but none of them have let down the team.

Apr 1, 2009
Shoenice":1kjlwdxr said:
jerryatricjanner":1kjlwdxr said:
Shoenice":1kjlwdxr said:
Opoku all day long based on the number of games played, consistency and potential. But for Opoku getting a shot at Fulham in pre-season, I'd be surprised if any of the current loanees are playing in the Championship next season (I include Opoku in that, but for a chance at Fulham).

I'm struggling to see a Championship club considering any one of them as a first-team player. For that to happen, you are looking at a player and deeming them to be above the standard of L1. Can we really say that any of the loanees have been head and shoulders above the rest in this league? I think Opoku potentially might draw interest but realistically I think he would only be viewed as a back-up option and he would want to go out and play. There are big clubs near the foot of the table with big resources in the Championship, like Nottingham Forest, Derby, Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday. Are they going to look at Opoku as someone who is going to be their talisman at the back, with the sort of spend that these clubs have? I doubt it. Even if Fulham went down, they have young defenders like Tosin Adarabioyo who they will more than likely retain. Is Opoku going to come in and displace this lad?

I wouldn't have said Bakinson, Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid etc. exactly set the lower leagues alight playing for us but two have ended up in the Premier league and one as a Championship starter so perhaps we might be underestimating some of these boys or expecting too much from them too soon?

Comparing those three to our current loanees, Bakinson, Bryan & Reid are/were all higher calibre players and demonstrating more when with us than some of the loanees we have now, in my opinion. I wasn't in Plymouth to watch week in week out back when Bryan & Reid were around, but they were terrific for us. Pop a google search in for 'Joe Bryan PASOTI' and 'Bobby Reid PASOTI' and look at what people on here were saying about them. All kinds of superlatives. You don't read those kinds of things about any of our current loanees. That's not to say that the current loanees can't be doing things in a few years from now. But I just don't think that Kelland Watts and Tyrese Fornah have blown anyone away in a way that would make people in the league above sit up and take notice.

Bakinson was here for 14 games so it's difficult to make a judgement on him. However, like with Bryan & Reid, I do recall reading plenty of posts on here raving about his huge potential.

I think you have to remember that we were at a pretty low ebb when Bryan and B Reid were here. In Bryan's season we were close to going out of the league and had a pretty weak squad - it's easier to look good when your colleagues are so poor. Incidentally I don't get why you feel it is so easy to enthuse about Bryan who played 10 games eight years ago, but find it difficult to judge Bakinson on his 14 appearances last season. How does that work?

Bobby Reid was 2 years on from Bryan and played much of that season as a box to box MF in a team that made the play offs. I remember differences of opinion on his potential - but don't think many thought he'd reach the top level. I recall some decent passing vision but little scoring threat. I don't think many expected Bobby to end up playing further forward as he has for much of his career. My worst memory of him were his awful "floaty" corners with no pace whatsoever that usually gave catching practice to opposition keepers!

Oct 31, 2015
oldage":wj8htim6 said:
They have played a number of games and are still making errors on a regular basis. We have tried rookies now let's get in some experienced players to help our own youngsters progress

I agree Oldage.

The kids have done ok and a few of the loanees will move onto bigger and better teams. There are still far too many mistakes in my opinion however the back 4 seems to have stopped the rot in the second poor run.
As RL said last week we need more leaders on the pitch. For me let's bring in some league 1 players to replace a few of the loan players who know their trade . I do understand it's down to budgets as well so easier said than done hence to use of the loan market.

If I had to say one Woods had impressed me in the 2 X games I have seen him.play.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Tough to say, but Woods has certainly impressed over the last two and hopefully he can keep his place and be consistent until the end of the season.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Shoenice":cu1nq4q8 said:
jerryatricjanner":cu1nq4q8 said:
Shoenice":cu1nq4q8 said:

Bakinson played more games for us than Bryan. People are making judgements on Woods after 3 games.
Reid and Bryan played 43 games for us in League 2 scoring just 4 goals so were hardly terrific. They were getting good league experience though and have gone on to better things, both probably a league above their natural level currently before returning to the Championship next season. I would be surprised if most of Okopu, Woods, Watts and Fornah didn't finish up as Championship players too.

C

Cult Of Personality

I noticed since we gone 4 4 2 . Fornah has become a better player . I think the sitting midfielder don't actually suit him and he actually better suited to box to box

Aug 15, 2015
xmastree":1km6gblf said:
Shoenice":1km6gblf said:
jerryatricjanner":1km6gblf said:
Shoenice":1km6gblf said:

I think you have to remember that we were at a pretty low ebb when Bryan and B Reid were here. In Bryan's season we were close to going out of the league and had a pretty weak squad - it's easier to look good when your colleagues are so poor. Incidentally I don't get why you feel it is so easy to enthuse about Bryan who played 10 games eight years ago, but find it difficult to judge Bakinson on his 14 appearances last season. How does that work?

Bobby Reid was 2 years on from Bryan and played much of that season as a box to box MF in a team that made the play offs. I remember differences of opinion on his potential - but don't think many thought he'd reach the top level. I recall some decent passing vision but little scoring threat. I don't think many expected Bobby to end up playing further forward as he has for much of his career. My worst memory of him were his awful "floaty" corners with no pace whatsoever that usually gave catching practice to opposition keepers!

I couldn't remember how long Bryan was here for to be honest, but I thought it was longer than 10 games, so that surprised me. I don't see how it invalidates what I said though. People were waxing lyrical about him on here. Bakinson similarly had rave reviews from some on here. 10/15 games is not many games, but they clearly impressed and going off of PASOTI comments alone, I'd say more so than the current batch. I haven't really seen quite the same comments with our current set of loanees and they have mostly had 30+ games under their belt.

I'm not saying that I think they're bad or that they're even L2 level or something, but my personal hunch is that they are not quite the same potential as Bryan, Reid, Bakinson etc. I'm fairly confident that those 3 were/are seen at the time by Bristol City to be genuine first-team prospects, similar to how Cooper, Jephcott, Law & Sangster were viewed in that way by Adams, or how Randell and Pursall are seen by Lowe. I personally question, not through any evidence as such, but I question whether Fornah, Watts etc will be seen in the same way by their own contracted clubs. Big clubs like Notts Forest & Newcastle and other Championship sides have big squads and many have U23 teams unless I'm not mistaken. Notts Forest have a whole squad of U23 players (including B. Johnson @ Lincoln). Huddersfield have about 50-60 'contracted' players. Watts/Fornah/Opoku will be 22/22/23 approaching the start of the next season. At those ages I think their respective clubs will be starting to consider releasing them if they're not deemed first-team ready, and if anything I think we've got more chance of permanently signing one or two of them. Will be interesting to see either way where they end up next year.

Given the chance and thinking in terms of pushing for promotion, I'd sign Opoku as a first 11 option, Fornah and Watts as backup squad options and I'd release Lewis. Haven't seen Woods play yet. But they'll all be 22+ by next season start so I'd imagine we'd have a shot at a couple.

Aug 15, 2015
jerryatricjanner":32tgxvie said:
Shoenice":32tgxvie said:
jerryatricjanner":32tgxvie said:
Shoenice":32tgxvie said:

Bakinson played more games for us than Bryan. People are making judgements on Woods after 3 games.
Reid and Bryan played 43 games for us in League 2 scoring just 4 goals so were hardly terrific. They were getting good league experience though and have gone on to better things, both probably a league above their natural level currently before returning to the Championship next season. I would be surprised if most of Okopu, Woods, Watts and Fornah didn't finish up as Championship players too.

I'm not commenting on Woods as I have yet to see him play. I just broadly and lazily said loanees without really including him. I agree, I think there's a fair chance of them making it at Championship level. I just don't think it will be next season though. I think they might have to go down the route of getting released first and work their way up. The posts on here seem to allude to the idea that they might all be above us next season. Much like Alex Palmer & Josh Grant (two players who impressed last year), I suspect they will be back in L1. In fact, I suspect that Ryan Lowe has been very crafty in targeting these top-tier club academy 'kids', ones who might seem to be on the periphery at these big clubs and potentially even discarded with, knowing that we might have first dibs on them following a successful loan spell. We know that Lowe likes to build a squad of young players who could be future assets. I think Josh Grant is a good example of that - was not seen as a 1st team player at Chelsea and Lowe would have known that. Chelsea aren't going to offer him a new deal at 22. Lowe tried to sign him up permanently in January if I recall. Despite impressing and for me, more so than Fornah, he is now back in L1 with Rovers. Not disagreeing about them maybe making it in 2-4 years, but I wouldn't be so sure about them being seen as first-team players at their own clubs and therefore that they are too good for our level next year (if they indeed make it eventually).

Jul 15, 2011
Loan again.....does that actually happen?
In season we often extend loans but do we ever loan again for a second season?...do we have examples?

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
liverpoolgreen":z6pg87e8 said:
In season we often extend loans but do we ever loan again for a second season?...do we have examples?

I think Hardie came back for a second loan spell before signing permanently in January.

Apr 1, 2009
liverpoolgreen":1ya6t2gw said:

Paul Gallagher
Alan Judge
Craig Tanner

Jul 15, 2011
xmastree":p8z4skob said:
liverpoolgreen":p8z4skob said:

Paul Gallagher
Alan Judge
Craig Tanner

three decent players tbf.... especially Gallagher

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
liverpoolgreen":1i9edgw7 said:
xmastree":1i9edgw7 said:
liverpoolgreen":1i9edgw7 said:

Paul Gallagher
Alan Judge
Craig Tanner

three decent players tbf.... especially Gallagher

The only loan player which sets me salivating, whom I would love to see playing again at Home Park is Sinclair. His goal, kicking into the Devonport End against Crystal Palace was magnificent, both in construction and finishing.