Cleverest goal scored by an argyle player | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Cleverest goal scored by an argyle player

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Dreamgreen":2emv790f said:
I seem to remember Terry Venables being involved in something similar for Crystal Palace. No details remembered I´m afraid.

I think you'll find that TV simply passed his penalty kick gently back to Jim Furnell. ;)

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
WoodsyGreen":dv9r8923 said:
RKB":dv9r8923 said:
Dwight Marshall's run around the other side of the keeper home to Barnsley in the FA Cup. Pele-esque, although unlike Dwight, Pele missed!

You took the words right out of my mouth, RKB, though it was actually against Port Vale in a league game. He scored another cracker in that Barnsley FA Cup game you mentioned.

Dwight also scored an overhead kick on his debut that was barely a couple of feet above ground. What a clever player he was.

That goal against Port Vale is the one I would have chosen too :)

Yes, his debut goal too, what a strike. In fact, what a player he was for us.

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":q0652f1b said:
mervyn":q0652f1b said:
Knibbsworth":q0652f1b said:
Got to be the Newman/Trebilcock sideways penalty.

Before my time. Was it a pass first? Was this banned later?

Yes, the penalty kick was a marginal sideways pass.

With goalkeeper dived and on the floor, player 2 (the onrunning Trebilcock, coming from outside the box with all the other players) has all the goal to aim for.

Obviously it is crucial player 2 gets to the ball before any defender.

Henry and Pires tried it about 15 years ago, but Henry made a hash of the penalty kick. I don't think he made proper contact so the goal never stood.

Afterwards, Match of the Day showed Argyle doing it properly in the early 70s.

As far as I know the method hasn't yet been banned.

I think Suarez and Messi did it for Barca and were hailed as crafty South American geniuses.

It can't be banned. The penalty taker can do what he likes with it. Not sure how clever it is though. Seems very risky.

Jan 27, 2012
RKB":hgnvx5b8 said:
Dwight Marshall's run around the other side of the keeper home to Barnsley in the FA Cup. Pele-esque, although unlike Dwight, Pele missed!

I remember that goal but it was not against Barnsley in the FA Cup. (was it against Port Vale as stated above ?)

Marshall's goal against Barnsley was one where he curled it in from close to the corner flag. A superb goal as it clearly wasn't intended as a cross (there were no other Argyle palyers in support as I can remember it). Paul Dalton scored the other one- an even better goal where he dribbled though the heart of the Barnsley defence.

Two great players.

Cleverest goal ? I seem to remember Warnock's team having a free kick routine where the ball was very softly rolled to into the defensive wall. An Argyle player (inserted into the wall) would then backheel it towards goal... from which an on-rushing Argyle player would find themselves one on one with the goalkeeper. Hard to explain- you have to see it really.

P

plymouthjoe

Presto":nr10xem1 said:
Knibbsworth":nr10xem1 said:

If I recall correctly Newman placed the ball for the penalty stepped back and then passed it sideways - my failing memory thought it was to George Carter but could well have been Trebilcock. Either way they were outside the penalty area when Newman kicked it and then ran into shoot passed the goalie. Cannot remember who it was against.
My memory must be going because I thought the two players were Carter and Gauld. Getting old.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":25u9fe3s said:
mervyn":25u9fe3s said:
Knibbsworth":25u9fe3s said:

Before my time. Was it a pass first? Was this banned later?

Yes, the penalty kick was a marginal sideways pass.

With goalkeeper dived and on the floor, player 2 (the onrunning Trebilcock, coming from outside the box with all the other players) has all the goal to aim for.

Obviously it is crucial player 2 gets to the ball before any defender.

Henry and Pires tried it about 15 years ago, but Henry made a hash of the penalty kick. I don't think he made proper contact so the goal never stood.

Afterwards, Match of the Day showed Argyle doing it properly in the early 70s.

As far as I know the method hasn't yet been banned.

I think Suarez and Messi did it for Barca and were hailed as crafty South American geniuses.

Nothing has changed but a penalty kick has never been allowed to be "passed" sideways. It has to be played forward albeit even if it is marginally forward.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
gaspargomez":szfveq21 said:
RKB":szfveq21 said:

I remember that goal but it was not against Barnsley in the FA Cup. (was it against Port Vale as stated above ?)

Marshall's goal against Barnsley was one where he curled it in from close to the corner flag. A superb goal as it clearly wasn't intended as a cross (there were no other Argyle palyers in support as I can remember it). Paul Dalton scored the other one- an even better goal where he dribbled though the heart of the Barnsley defence.

Two great players.

Cleverest goal ? I seem to remember Warnock's team having a free kick routine where the ball was very softly rolled to into the defensive wall. An Argyle player (inserted into the wall) would then backheel it towards goal... from which an on-rushing Argyle player would find themselves one on one with the goalkeeper. Hard to explain- you have to see it really.

Failing memory. But what a goal it was.

Jan 27, 2012
I found the two Barnsley FA Cup goals here (after about 2min 50 second).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9-6hHPuWaE

The whole video is well worth watching. Some AMAZING goals. Check out the goal after 3min 15 for instance. Incredible.

Paul Dalton was a fantastic talent and should have played at a higher level. Danny Mayor is pants in comparison to that guy.

It was a truly brillliant team (apart from the defence!).

Returnofthepob

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Aug 20, 2015
gaspargomez":3ldyincd said:
I found the two Barnsley FA Cup goals here (after about 2min 50 second).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9-6hHPuWaE

The whole video is well worth watching. Some AMAZING goals. Check out the goal after 3min 15 for instance. Incredible.

Paul Dalton was a fantastic talent and should have played at a higher level. Danny Mayor is pants in comparison to that guy.

It was a truly brillliant team (apart from the defence!).

Thanks for posting this!

I was at Hartlepool - great day out !

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Dalton scored twenty odd goals in the second tier for Huddersfield Town, so he did go to a higher level, no?

The away replay at Barnsley from that 2-2 Cup home draw was no fun though, Old Bill a bit prickly inside the ground and barely a shot on or off target from Argyle that eve, Big Al very busy.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
plymouthjoe":1bqvmsaf said:
Presto":1bqvmsaf said:
Knibbsworth":1bqvmsaf said:

If I recall correctly Newman placed the ball for the penalty stepped back and then passed it sideways - my failing memory thought it was to George Carter but could well have been Trebilcock. Either way they were outside the penalty area when Newman kicked it and then ran into shoot passed the goalie. Cannot remember who it was against.
My memory must be going because I thought the two players were Carter and Gauld. Getting old.
It was 46 years ago last week when that famous Argyle goal was scored when Johnny Newham nudged the ball forwards for Mike Trebilcock to lash it in. It was at the Barn Park End and I was stood on the steps in front of the old refreshment hut at that end of the ground in front of the open steps that lead up to the east end of the Grandstand.

It was against Manchester City in a game we won 3-2 and the City Keeper was Alan Ogley. The architect of the trick penalty was of course Malcolm Allison, who ironically left Argyle to join City as Head Coach at the end of that season, working under Joe Mercer. City and Newcastle were promoted to the old Division 1 that season.

As an aside, should I be worried that I can remember an event from 46 years ago chapter and verse but I can't remember what I had for tea last night or my Missus's last instruction barely a half-hour ago?

Aug 18, 2015
You should be worried at your maths! 56 years not 46.
As for the thread title, all these people saying Trigger scored are completely wrong. It was an OG. Wouldn't have counted if Triggs scored

Aug 17, 2005
greencard":2rrrfeq2 said:
You should be worried at your maths! 56 years not 46.
As for the thread title, all these people saying Trigger scored are completely wrong. It was an OG. Wouldn't have counted if Triggs scored

If it had been scored the way my puddled memory said and like trigger planned it, it would of stood because it had touched the opposition goalkeeper. If he had tried to score directly it wouldn't of but that wasn't his intention so it was quick thinking and a clever goal