Colchester match thread | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Colchester match thread

That 1st half was a car crash. They looked a class above us. We couldn't cope with their pace & they took full advantage.

2nd half was far more solid, but a lack of chances created was a little alarming.
Have to bounce back against Salford as the Crewe game is going to be tough.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I’m not sure why people are questioning the tactics that have us 4th with a game in hand? The tactics that have given some top performances & some delightful football? We were off it today but the system & the style are what give us continuity & are what will enable us to bounce back.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
football-bet-data":ct9mdiyc said:
PL2 3DQ":ct9mdiyc said:
The match report on Argyle's website reads like we gave Colchester a good game and the players gave everything. That sounds more positive compared to the match commentary.
I watched it, there were very little positives at all. We looked half arsed. Green tinted review that. 5-0 would’ve been a fair reflection
You do Colchester a disservice. I thought about 7. Sadly.

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
From watching on ifollow, the difference was the power, pace and strength of Colchester especially Nouble, Harriott and Stevenson up front. By contrast we looked slow, disorganised and physically timid.

Taylor improved things second half and was an outlet but the game was gone.

Cooper exposed as a non defender time and time again as the put simple balls over the top into the left back area for their fast winger Harriott to run to, Bakinson had a poor game, with bad positioning and distribution which I suppose is what you get with inexperience and youth. Mayor again didn't show up until about 70 mins. He gave a shocking ball away for the 3rd goal.

Looking at both sides Colchester seem to have more firepower and pace than us and I can see them pushing hard for the top 3. On this viewing they look better equipped for the run in than us.

I think we have to find the right balance of players on the pitch - Hardie, Mayor, Cooper all talented players but can go missing against these fast, physical sides. For away games, should Grant play the holding role in front of the defence? Mcfadz in for Cooper? Should Hardie go back to sub and play Taylor in away games? Does Bakinson need a break?

I think we just need to find the balance for the run in. And probably where we are right now is about right.We are a good team but if you look at the top 6 sides we've struggled against most of them - Swindon 1 point out of 6, Exeter 0 out of 3, Crewe we got them on first day of season, return game will be interesting, Northampton 0 out of 3, Colchester 1 out of 6.

Play offs yes right now, but this game makes me wonder have we got enough for automatic promotion? Salford will be tough.

Jun 27, 2017
To be fair, we've been getting away with it of late. Last 3 home games could easily have been points dropped - only difference today is the quality of the opposition.

Really needed another CB in January and although Coopers assists have been invaluable his defensive side is lacking which has exposed Sawyer.

We move on to Tuesday and 4 points from today and next 2 would be a decent return in my opinion.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Koala Green":rs1n2sfz said:
From watching on ifollow, the difference was the power, pace and strength of Colchester especially Nouble, Harriott and Stevenson up front. By contrast we looked slow, disorganised and physically timid.

Cooper exposed as a non defender time and time again as the put simple balls over the top into the left back area for their fast winger Harriott to run to, Bakinson had a poor game, with bad positioning and distribution which I suppose is what you get with inexperience and youth. Mayor again didn't show up until about 70 mins. He gave a shocking ball away for the 3rd goal.

Looking at both sides Colchester seem to have more firepower and pace than us and I can see them pushing hard for the top 3. On this viewing they look better equipped for the run in than us.

I think we have to find the right balance of players on the pitch - Hardie, Mayor, Cooper all talented players but can go missing against these fast, physical sides. For away games, should Grant play the holding role in front of the defence? Mcfadz in for Cooper? Should Hardie go back to sub and play Taylor in away games? Does Bakinson need a break?

I think we just need to find the balance for the run in. And probably where we are right now is about right.We are a good team but if you look at the top 6 sides we've struggled against most of them - Swindon 1 point out of 6, Exeter 0 out of 3, Crewe we got them on first day of season, return game will be interesting, Northampton 0 out of 3, Colchester 1 out of 6.

Play offs yes right now, but this game makes me wonder have we got enough for automatic promotion? Salford will be tough.
Minor detail but we beat Colchester at HP.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Koala Green":1o1xdj3a said:

Good summary.
There has to be a reshuffle.
You are absolutely spot on about Cooper.
We have benefited from his delivery on occasions but he will end up costing us more than he gives playing at LWB.
McFadzean, if match fit, has to start at Salford. Cooper may be able to keep his place if he's played higher up on the left wing or as an advanced central midfielder.

God knows what Edwards has done wrong for Bakinson to have played 90 mins today. I haven't seen Edwards have a truly poor game anywhere he's played.

Palmer.
Grant. Canavan. Wooton.
McFadzean. Moore.
Edwards.
Cooper. Mayor.
Taylor. Jephcott.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Cobi Budge":2cj8kj7c said:
I’m not sure why people are questioning the tactics that have us 4th with a game in hand? The tactics that have given some top performances & some delightful football? We were off it today but the system & the style are what give us continuity & are what will enable us to bounce back.

True but the tactics can be slightly changed in-game when recognising that Colchester posed a threat down our left early in the game.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":3goaxvwy said:
Cobi Budge":3goaxvwy said:

True but the tactics can be slightly changed in-game when recognising that Colchester posed a threat down our left early in the game.

Tweaks & little alterations, 100%. But some people almost seem to be suggesting that we should overthrow the entire system which is lunacy after 1 defeat. Having an ingrained, consistent way of playing is what will lead to long term success.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
up_the_line":2kx1dibz said:
Koala Green":2kx1dibz said:

Good summary.
There has to be a reshuffle.
You are absolutely spot on about Cooper.
We have benefited from his delivery on occasions but he will end up costing us more than he gives playing at LWB.
McFadzean, if match fit, has to start at Salford. Cooper may be able to keep his place if he's played higher up on the left wing or as an advanced central midfielder.

God knows what Edwards has done wrong for Bakinson to have played 90 mins today. I haven't seen Edwards have a truly poor game anywhere he's played.

Palmer.
Grant. Canavan. Wooton.
McFadzean. Moore.
Edwards.
Cooper. Mayor.
Taylor. Jephcott.

No Sarcevic?

Mar 16, 2009
London
Cobi Budge":21wrer2w said:

We were second best from first whistle to last, but it’s just one game of an otherwise awesome 2020 so far. Tactically we did get it wrong. They exploited our lack of a proper left-sided defender in the first 30 minutes, we did nothing to tweak despite this obvious deficiency, and they continued to exploit it. Nothing then said at half time made a difference.

I also thought it was a mistake to pull Hardie off at half time. We just don’t have game changers on the bench sadly.

However, our rigid persistence with a 3-5-2 I think will be a major factor in getting us up via the auto slots, yet on occasions along the way this rigidity will be our undoing.

Jan 27, 2012
The weakness lies in central defence.

The centre backs were not quick enough or good enough last year. Although they have found their level in League Two, they still struggle against the better sides. They are not League One standard, as evidenced today.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Only in that showing but Colchester look far more likely to get in the automatics than we do.

Also I’d hate for us to get them in the Play Offs. :whistle: :facepalm:

Let’s hope we can get back to winning ways again quickly and get our mojo back.

Jul 2, 2014
Gasper: Totally disagree. While Grant had a torrid time at left back, the real weakness was in defensive midfield, where Colchester had free access to attack us. Backinson was terrible and Cooper did not start defending until we were deep in a hole. Moore showed how a wingback should play - a real threat going forward and always there to help in defence. I was surprised that Edwards did not come on for Backinson, and McFadzean for Copper, after the first goal.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
I think Cooper is a luxury player tbh. Defensively he is a liability and we have been up against it on our left side for the last 2 or 3 games. Teams certainly target us down that side. He’s not the player for a tough away game against decent opposition and I think his stats flatter to deceive.