Cooper's future at Peterborough in doubt | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Cooper's future at Peterborough in doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2005
Argylegames":2jh2bl3d said:
After all this time being jerked around by Fry I hope we drop the whole thing.
I think they paid £300K when they signed him from Crewe and he is still fairly young, so you can see why they want to get something back on him.

Perhaps a compromise might be for them to let him go for nothing but put a 25% sell-on clause in the event of Argyle making money on him.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
demportdave":1zgjljav said:
Argylegames":1zgjljav said:
I think they paid £300K when they signed him from Crewe and he is still fairly young, so you can see why they want to get something back on him.

Perhaps a compromise might be for them to let him go for nothing but put a 25% sell-on clause in the event of Argyle making money on him.

I think anything under 50% would be unrealistic in this type of deal.

Aug 5, 2016
Argylegames":3yomnwa7 said:

Peterborough clearly didn't want him the whole time. Barry Fry and McAntony using the media to make out Cooper was a prized asset was kind of cringey.

Still they know Cooper is young, one of the best creative players at League Two level, so possibly of financial value to someone - just not them.

He isn't in Peterborough's plans now so he is even less valuable. Argyle could probably hold out now, and get him for next to nothing, which was obviously Lowe's gameplan all along.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Knibbsworth":1ls0h5bv said:
Argylegames":1ls0h5bv said:

Peterborough clearly didn't want him the whole time. Barry Fry and McAntony using the media to make out Cooper was a prized asset was kind of cringey.

Still they know Cooper is young, one of the best creative players at League Two level, so possibly of financial value to someone - just not them.

He isn't in Peterborough's plans now so he is even less valuable. Argyle could probably hold out now, and get him for next to nothing, which was obviously Lowe's gameplan all along.

The risk being that another club jumps in for him.

It has to be said that Peterborough are VERY good at getting a financial return on players they sell. £10m for Ivan Toney is a ridiculous amount and there are plenty of other examples where they have apparently turned a huge profit on players after one or two seasons.

Jun 27, 2019
A great example of speculate to accumulate, though. They signed Toney for a reported £650k and are selling him for a 1,438% profit.

Aug 5, 2016
The Doctor":1h3dgjds said:
Knibbsworth":1h3dgjds said:
Argylegames":1h3dgjds said:

Very few clubs in the lower leagues are spending money in this generation, never mind post-COVID.

If anyone wanted him to the point of being willing to pay a transfer fee, why haven't they come forward already?

Also there is the wishes of the player to consider. He probably doesn't want to go to Oxford or Bristol Rovers, he wants to play for Ryan Lowe.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Knibbsworth":2isfly49 said:
The Doctor":2isfly49 said:
Knibbsworth":2isfly49 said:
Argylegames":2isfly49 said:

Very few clubs in the lower leagues are spending money in this generation, never mind post-COVID.

If anyone wanted him to the point of being willing to pay a transfer fee, why haven't they come forward already?

Also there is the wishes of the player to consider. He probably doesn't want to go to Oxford or Bristol Rovers, he wants to play for Ryan Lowe.

?I presume that Lowe has put an 'upper' price on Cooper? I presume that Fry knows what that value is? Why would Lowe pay more to fend off another (possibly imaginary) bid?

Fry knows what we'll pay. Take it or leave it mate. We've got options.

Aug 17, 2005
The statement within the article said that they had managed to get a squad together within the price cap. Therefore its not just a case of Cooper leaving but they need him off the wage ASAP. With him having 12 months of a good contract left maybe they will have to pay him to leave. Another player released by them that would be a good addition is Jason Naismith

May 8, 2011
Knibbsworth":370d7qmg said:
The Doctor":370d7qmg said:
Knibbsworth":370d7qmg said:
Argylegames":370d7qmg said:

If he is that desperate to play for Argyle he could always buy out his contract. That way all three parties win.

Jan 27, 2012
These wage cap rules are more complicated than they first seem.

I understand that players that are already under contract appear to be treated differently in the calculations. So maybe having Cooper on the books doesn't affect Peterbourough's wage limit very much ?

I doubt that they want to keep him if he's not going to play however. But I wouldn't be surprised if other clubs are interested as he did very well for Argyle last year. And other clubs always seem to have more cash than Argyle !

Status
Not open for further replies.