COVID in the camp | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

COVID in the camp

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Kilgore Trout":3aj0bl19 said:
X Isle is spot on in my view. To trot out Dominic Cummings actions as an excuse for peoples inexcusable selfish behaviour is laughable. Everyone is responsible for their own actions. It's strange that no one blames Steven Kinnock (who 28th March drove 300 miles from Tredegar to London and back to wish his dad Neil a happy birthday) or the leader of the SNP in the commons Ian Blackford (who on March 26th travelled 600 miles from London to his pile on the Isle of Skye "as a precaution") let alone Margaret Ferrier who took a train from London to Scotland after testing positive. I say this as someone who has never voted tory in his life.

This for me. I think the cavalier attitude that persists amongst some was demonstrated tonight on BBC News by the guy interviewed in Mansfield in Tier 3, who in order that he must make a bet, decided to drive into Derbyshire, not in Tier 3, in order to find a bookies, and at the same time avail himself of a couple of pints of beer and drive back again. When told by the BBC interviewer that he had broken the current Covid control law, he responded by saying 'laws are there to be broken mate!'. Is there any hope, when this guy looked in his mid 40's and doubtless had a family to set an example to?. I just hope he does not drive to Cornwall on holiday.

Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, I saw him too. Not the least bit surprised at the attitude, it surrounds us everywhere but I did think he displayed a refreshing honesty.

Most people break the rules but because they've self justified actions they know to be wrong they keep it to themselves or other like minded bottom feeders.

Its people like them that mean we wake this morning to news the government could announce reintroduction of a national lockdown as early as Monday.

Well done you army of utterly selfish c*cks :clap:

Mike : "anyway, football?"... Really? :facepalm:

That is at best naive and at worst a proper "la la la" head burying ostrich behaviour. Football CANNOT exist in isolation from all this.

Potentially today's game could be the last for a month at least. But the socially irresponsible people we are discussing are just going to keep breaking the rules meaning a months national lockdown will become two, may become three and before you know it the season is cancelled.

Covid **IS** Football, it is daily life, it is 24/7 everywhere. You might want to exist in supreme denial and isolation from the subject but you can't.

Football is not immune from Covid and PASOTI can't be immune from discussing it. I mean, it'll kill the season, yet you don't want to talk about it?

Nuts :crazy:

Aug 5, 2005
X-Isle.

I am more than happy to debate anyone about Covid. However, what we had was an entire page about Dominic Cummings. I was just trying to get us back on track.

I'm sorry that you think that's nuts. If it helps, I actually agree with your standpoint

Aug 5, 2016
X Isle":atihizl7 said:
David_Fisher":atihizl7 said:
jimsing":atihizl7 said:
In an ideal world I would agree with you, but you cannot restrict players for a whole season, OG.

It is easier for us to say, but very difficult for it to be put into operation.

Think of the players' mental well being.

It's difficult for most of us at the moment but there seems to be an attitude amongst young people, not just footballers, that any rules they don't like they can just ignore.

Perhaps the EFL needs to bite the bullet and start docking points from teams that fail to fulfill fixtures?

Well it wasn't the government who spent the summer larging it up at each and every opportunity in large groups. It wasn't the government who flocked to the beaches, it wasn't the government who on each individual basis self authorised covid breaches because "aaaahhh, what the hell" was an easier attitude to take.

Dominic Cummings is in the government and has done all of that. He kept his job despite his colleagues in government knowing he did it too.

The clocks have gone back, it is November, and you are blaming the latest lockdown on a small proportion of people, 0.1 percent of the population who went to the beach on a busy day 3 months ago. Is that why the great coastal towns of Nottingham and Greater Manchester are now in tier 3, they were all on the beach together. Jesus wept.

Jul 12, 2016
I also agree with X Isle. We live in a society where some people are hell bent on finding excuses or loopholes to get around rules/laws that the majority abide by. We were all young once and did stupid things but not in a pandemic where those flouting the rules are potentially playing russian roulette with their lives and others. The morons who go on one last drinking binge are pathetic ,selfish individuals who couldn't give a monkeys as long as they are enjoying themselves.

Jul 12, 2016
Quintrell_Green":15j8178u said:
Kilgore Trout":15j8178u said:
X Isle is spot on in my view. To trot out Dominic Cummings actions as an excuse for peoples inexcusable selfish behaviour is laughable. Everyone is responsible for their own actions. It's strange that no one blames Steven Kinnock (who 28th March drove 300 miles from Tredegar to London and back to wish his dad Neil a happy birthday) or the leader of the SNP in the commons Ian Blackford (who on March 26th travelled 600 miles from London to his pile on the Isle of Skye "as a precaution") let alone Margaret Ferrier who took a train from London to Scotland after testing positive. I say this as someone who has never voted tory in his life.

This for me. I think the cavalier attitude that persists amongst some was demonstrated tonight on BBC News by the guy interviewed in Mansfield in Tier 3, who in order that he must make a bet, decided to drive into Derbyshire, not in Tier 3, in order to find a bookies, and at the same time avail himself of a couple of pints of beer and drive back again. When told by the BBC interviewer that he had broken the current Covid control law, he responded by saying 'laws are there to be broken mate!'. Is there any hope, when this guy looked in his mid 40's and doubtless had a family to set an example to?. I just hope he does not drive to Cornwall on holiday.
I also saw the interview and with many like him around there is little hope .

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Kilgore Trout":31f5a5jm said:

Well said. Cummings was wrong but one could argue that Kinnock, Blackford and Ferrier are even more delinquent given that they are elected officials representing a constituency as well as a Party. But that doesn't suit the narrative for many.

I doubt the beaches had anything to do with resurgence - 25 degrees and in the open air, nah ... We simply had a perfect storm in September - schools and Uni's return; cooler weather; a move from outside to inside in hospitality and the 'eat out ...' message.

Government can be blamed for many failures but they alone are tasked with finding the right - and very delicate - balance and will often make mistakes as a result. And of course every move that's made is criticised by the other half of the nation - pro-lockdown vs pro-economy.

It's so easy to fire from the sidelines and say 'I told you so'. It's not so easy when you're tasked with making decisions.

Feb 8, 2005
Governments don't spread the virus.

People do.

Take the government advice and stick to the rules and regulations.

We have to live with this virus, it will not go away, even with a vaccine.

Jun 27, 2019
Frank_Butcher":3te0auqo said:
Kilgore Trout":3te0auqo said:

Well said. Cummings was wrong but one could argue that Kinnock, Blackford and Ferrier are even more delinquent given that they are elected officials representing a constituency as well as a Party. But that doesn't suit the narrative for many.

I doubt the beaches had anything to do with resurgence - 25 degrees and in the open air, nah ... We simply had a perfect storm in September - schools and Uni's return; cooler weather; a move from outside to inside in hospitality and the 'eat out ...' message.

Government can be blamed for many failures but they alone are tasked with finding the right - and very delicate - balance and will often make mistakes as a result. And of course every move that's made is criticised by the other half of the nation - pro-lockdown vs pro-economy.

It's so easy to fire from the sidelines and say 'I told you so'. It's not so easy when you're tasked with making decisions.

So that perfect storm you refer to was impossible to see coming was it?

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
WoodsyGreen":2oszkr50 said:
Frank_Butcher":2oszkr50 said:
Kilgore Trout":2oszkr50 said:

So that perfect storm you refer to was impossible to see coming was it?

No, I don't think so. But at the time Sage were not advocating against Government policy. It wasn't until later in September that their advice diverged from policy. And even yesterday people like Whitty and Ferguson were stressing they only represent a medical and scientific viewpoint - they both emphasised that the Government has to make a balanced judgement against evidence and projected impacts.

As I said it's easy to fire from the sidelines but what would you have done Woodsy - honestly?

You have the worst set of economical statistics on record. Our childrens' education is on hold and our very future potentially comporomised as a result. The hospitality sector is dieing a death by a thousand cuts. Universities are about to go under due to lack of student fees (their principle livelihood). Small businesses are folding. The travel industry is also collapsing with losses of thousands of jobs.

Meanwhile, the virus is - relatively speaking - under control in July. Public sentiment is leaning towards a relaxation of restrictions. The nation's mental health is evidently suffering. Citizens/ patients are not turning up for medical appointments, nor are they reporting symptoms. The nation's debt is spiralling due to the double whammy of ridiculous levels of expenditure and lack of revenue.

So what do you think? Or, more appropriately what did you think?

Dec 30, 2011
so, to get back to the initial thread, is there any news on the covid in the camp/club this week ?

Jul 6, 2011
Cummings didn't break the rules, only the media say he broke the rules. MPs from labour, SNP and the Libdems have all broken the rules, but nothing is said about them.

Sep 6, 2006
briangreen":3vg84yjz said:
Cummings didn't break the rules, only the media say he broke the rules. MPs from labour, SNP and the Libdems have all broken the rules, but nothing is said about them.

How do you know he didn't break the rules then? Have you spoken to him personally?

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
briangreen":3jpltlg5 said:

He admitted to breaking the rules, other MPs said he did but added he "was following his instincts and did what any good father would do"

Anyway, it seems inevitable that the back end of the season is going to be crammed with rescheduled matches.

Its vital we do all we can to get as many points at the moment.

The West Country has so far been minimally impacted (relatively to the rest of the country) but the team travelling as much as they do, into areas of high risk, means at some point we will have to ask for games to be called off.

The real question is will we see a completed season in 2021 or will this end up going on for longer / be curtailed?