Daily Catch Up - Wednesday 12 June | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Daily Catch Up - Wednesday 12 June

Apr 30, 2015
PL2 3DQ":1lqdgh54 said:
The Chief Scout at Bury Gary Simpson has been at the club for years so would he move to Argyle? Although he could still stay in the north and scout and watch opposition teams for Argyle.

We were told Ian Roscow would have input into the selection of a new manager but he was absent from the press conference yesterday.

There was no mention at the press conference if Lowe would oversee all aspects of the club as Andrew Parkinson said a few weeks ago a new manager would need to do or is Lowe just concentrating on the first team?

Re your last point Postey. I wondered the same. As the term Head of Football, or similar, seems to have disappeared off the script, I think that way of thinking may have been put to one side. In my view that is quite right, if so. Apart from anything else, if the Head of Football has his fingers in virtually every aspect of the club, then when he moves on, for whatever reason, the club has to start over. And I don't think that is particularly healthy.
Don't get me wrong - I'd like him to buy into every aspect of the club and help the club develop strategy, but I'd rather that someone who is likely to be here for maybe 2 or 3 years, is not "Head" of great rafts of it. Too much to ask of one employee, in any case

I also wondered if the club was being a bit evasive about the recruitment process. I don't think it is clear whether Ryan Lowe applied or was head-hunted.It seems a bit more likely to be the latter. 50 applications was mentioned by Andrew Parkinson, subsequently whittled down to a shortlist. Then there was a bit of a leap towards it emerging that RL was the man for the job (paraphrasing as I can't recall the exact words). Made me wonder if Ryan Lowe was the only one interviewed. To be clear, I am not complaining if that was the case, as I hope and believe Argyle have made a good appointment. Rather, I am curious as to what the process was. It may be that several were interviewed but the club just didn't want to refer to other interviewees in order that questions weren't asked about their identities. Quite rightly, the club and individuals concerned would want to keep that private.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
IJN":13gfr6tv said:
I'm not sure it's been asked before but I wonder WHO thought about Lowe in the first place.

Whoever it was, well done that person.

:clap:
After what he achieved at Bury last season he was the obvious choice for us, regardless of the situation at that club.

With respect to a good and "proper" football club, we are a better option for a young ambitious Manager and I think Lowe soon realised that and whilst he has left Gigg Lane with a bit of a heavy heart, I think he is genuinely excited to be here.

He is also very good with the PR and he has quickly got the fans on board which will stand him in good stead if we don't get off to as good a start to the season as we all hope will be the case.

Jul 29, 2010
Hope is one thing, we all 'hope' we'll have a good start.

I think it is reasonable to be understanding that we won't have a flying start. Anything is possible but turning round an all out defensive mindset into an all out attacking mindset won't be as easy as turning on a switch. Then there is integrating many new players too, which always has a natural lag in performance.

I want to see the proof of the pudding to be convinced RL is as good a choice as many are already convinced he is. But I'm pragmatic and understanding enough to know that what he aims to instill here won't happen overnight.

I usually reserve any judgement on how a season is shaping up until 10-15 games, next season it might take a bit longer. We all hope, but we should limit our immediate expectations... which on how he's being portrayed are in danger of racing away.

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
You have to laugh at our fans!

I remember all the same rhetoric when we appointed Derek - Scottish Mourinho being sung loud and clear at Wimbledon away first game and everyone so thrilled that we had unearthed a gem of a manger.

Now RL is the saviour and the best manger ever due to a days interviews - we havent even had a friendly yet FFS! I will requote all these posts when we have lost a couple of games and we are all calling for his head!!!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Looking at many various forums of other clubs, we're no different for anyone else.

If you want a stark reminder of how short sited fans can be, pop up to the Bury forum, nice lads, but by God they're in for a very rude awakening on June 19th I think.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Thing is X'Y .....Lowe has got to hit the deck running...not only is a good start to the season paramount if we are to go straight back up but also you have the first rounds of the league cup or whatever it is called nowadays, plus the FA Cup plus the checkatrade....if the gates are to be maintained then as I say we need to have a good start.....

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
I remember DA hit the ground running said all the right things. Lowe is doing the same.

As an aside, I think Mr Hallett is pumping a bit more money into the club and playing budget in order to take us up at the first time of asking. I have no knowledge of it but it's "just a feeling" also is it why JB sold up and stepped down? As it was against his modus operandi? Just musings of my own.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Emeraldinho":j1htd46s said:
I have to hold my hand up here and admit I was somewhat underwhelmed and sceptical about his appointment but from what I've heard and read over the past 2 days I'm beginning to think he may well be a very very shrewd choice by the Board. :thumbup:
Same. This could be one if the best appointments since say Sturrock.
Really feel we are in safe hands now and the club should have a good future ahead. :scarf: :scarf:

Sep 6, 2006
r4h4al":15do55hn said:
Emeraldinho":15do55hn said:
I have to hold my hand up here and admit I was somewhat underwhelmed and sceptical about his appointment but from what I've heard and read over the past 2 days I'm beginning to think he may well be a very very shrewd choice by the Board. :thumbup:
Same. This could be one if the best appointments since say Sturrock.
Really feel we are in safe hands now and the club should have a good future ahead. :scarf: :scarf:

Been in the job a few days, done nothing yet and already compared to Sturrock. You have to laugh!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Pettgreen":qe9fv7uc said:
I remember DA hit the ground running said all the right things. Lowe is doing the same.

As an aside, I think Mr Hallett is pumping a bit more money into the club and playing budget in order to take us up at the first time of asking. I have no knowledge of it but it's "just a feeling" also is it why JB sold up and stepped down? As it was against his modus operandi? Just musings of my own.

Relegation has been expensive. We lost just over £400,000 from EFL and PL payments by dropping a league, we had to pay off Derek Adams and Paul Wotton plus pay the rumoured £150,000 compensation to Bury for Lowe and Schumacher. It looks like Simon Hallett is funding the management changes so credit to him if that's the case.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
PL2 3DQ":qaostpqj said:
Pettgreen":qaostpqj said:

relegation has been expensive. We lost just over £400,000 from EFL and PL payments by dropping a league, we had to pay off Derek Adams and Paul Wotton plus pay the rumoured £150,000 compensation to Bury for Lowe and Schumacher. It looks like Simon Hallett is funding the management changes so credit to him if that's the case.

Yeah my thoughts also - real credit has to be given to Hallett for the professional way this has all been handled and also for personally funding the comings and goings of the managerial staff. Thank you Simon and Jane it is very much appreciated! :thumbup:

Jul 29, 2010
oddball":1p1lcx9w said:
Thing is X'Y .....Lowe has got to hit the deck running...not only is a good start to the season paramount if we are to go straight back up but also you have the first rounds of the league cup or whatever it is called nowadays, plus the FA Cup plus the checkatrade....if the gates are to be maintained then as I say we need to have a good start.....
'Need' is in the same ballpark as 'hope'.

The practicalities of what he has to instill and have up and running by game one though should put needs and hopes into a more realistic context.

I'd love to be wrong but I suspect a shallow curve to start with on our points graph before any vertical progress kicks in.

Mar 14, 2009
X Isle":3jsmndka said:
oddball":3jsmndka said:

The practicalities of what he has to instill and have up and running by game one though should put needs and hopes into a more realistic context.

I'd love to be wrong but I suspect a shallow curve to start with on our points graph before any vertical progress kicks in.

I think most of the fan base with be patient with RL. There will always be the minority who will moan even if he has only been in the job for a few months.

I even think fans are prepared to give him this year to find the right blend. Dont get me wrong we all want out of this league but I think most will realise he needs about 3 transfer windows to get the right blend of squad he is looking for. Promotion will be a bonus.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Metal_Green_Mickey":1wert93u said:
X Isle":1wert93u said:
oddball":1wert93u said:

I think most of the fan base with be patient with RL. There will always be the minority who will moan even if he has only been in the job for a few months.

I even think fans are prepared to give him this year to find the right blend. Dont get me wrong we all want out of this league but I think most will realise he needs about 3 transfer windows to get the right blend of squad he is looking for. Promotion will be a bonus.

Yeah that's about where I am. I don't expect promotion this season. I expect we'll be inconsistent for large parts of the season whilst RL is building his side and getting them to play the way he wants. It's going to take time so we need to be patient.