Danny Mayor signs for 2 more years | Page 25 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Danny Mayor signs for 2 more years

Mar 14, 2009
Let’s see what happens next season before we start ripping into everyone.

I think if you a Mayor fan or not, there is a debate to be had over his end product. However, if he had an end product he wouldn’t be in league one.

He might be a fantastic player but to utilise him in midfield he needs to be able to defend. I remember the header away at Northampton and lack of marking in the Wigan game at HP. They are just two instance.

We talk about this fantastic player but if you play him in a position that he can’t sustain a performance in a game surely you have to think why.

Put it this way. Think of last season. Think of some of good moments. Then realise that most of these happened in the first half. Mayor’s level of performance dropped off in the second half and so did Argyles.

It’s not a coincidence regarding our second half performances. Yet what people are seeing and talking about is his flashy dribbling. Unfortunately, to be a good team you need consistency.

I do like him. Yet l do think it’s only right to criticise a player for his end product when surely that’s what he is in the team for.

If Lowe plays Cooper in a more attacking postion, and not LWB, l think we will see Cooper more influential than Mayor next season.

Jul 12, 2016
L G":kocrok9v said:
oldage":kocrok9v said:
Mark Pedlar":kocrok9v said:
oldage":kocrok9v said:
ming the merciless":kocrok9v said:
I'm so chuffed about this. He's a football god in my opinion. He surely must be one of the most skillful players to ever wear the green shirt. It's a shame not everyone is able to see how valuable his contribution is. But I suppose its not supprising. Football attracts some pretty dim people. :nworthy: :scarf:
Talk about OTT.I can only assume you are relatively young to come up with such a ridiculous statement.One of the most
skillful players to ever wear a green shirt? And you are suggest ing others are dim :funny:

A number of times people have asked you who you would have signed instead from the vast number of players you have identified from you think are better. They deserve an answer even if it is "i don't know".

I repeat it here as you may well be blocking a number of posters who you disagree with the views of and may have missed the questions posed.

It is fine having a different view but I think its fair that the debate continues beyond the playground response of "i dont think, and everyone agrees with me" which seems to be where we are with you on the topic of Mayor.
There are 23 other teams in the division who have a player in Mayor's position. Despite the euphoria surrounding him 17 of these teams finished above us without Mayor pulling the strings from midfield.He is a good player but has flattered to deceive since we signed him.IMO we would not miss him because he is a luxury and unbalances the team but he plays for Argyle so will support him in the hope he can only improve.
Do you miss me?
Come out for a coffee and a chat about Argyle!
Will do.Can you on pm me your address?

Jul 12, 2016
Metal_Green_Mickey":1n3lr6ur said:

I think if you a Mayor fan or not, there is a debate to be had over his end product. However, if he had an end product he wouldn’t be in league one.

He might be a fantastic player but to utilise him in midfield he needs to be able to defend. I remember the header away at Northampton and lack of marking in the Wigan game at HP. They are just two instance.

We talk about this fantastic player but if you play him in a position that he can’t sustain a performance in a game surely you have to think why.

Put it this way. Think of last season. Think of some of good moments. Then realise that most of these happened in the first half. Mayor’s level of performance dropped off in the second half and so did Argyles.

It’s not a coincidence regarding our second half performances. Yet what people are seeing and talking about is his flashy dribbling. Unfortunately, to be a good team you need consistency.

I do like him. Yet l do think it’s only right to criticise a player for his end product when surely that’s what he is in the team for.

If Lowe plays Cooper in a more attacking postion, and not LWB, l think we will see Cooper more influential than Mayor next season.
I really hope Mayor proves me wrong. You can then all tell me !

Mar 14, 2009
oldage":35yht03u said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":35yht03u said:

I really hope Mayor proves me wrong. You can then all tell me !

He is a good player. However, the way talk about players and then knock them down when they don’t reach those expectations because we over exaggerate their ability as fans isn’t fair on the players.

It’s us as fans, that create the hype train.

Apr 1, 2009
Biggs":zcp1ga90 said:
Video interview now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW64mFmGbVY

Not that it's massively important but I've always really liked him as a person. Dry humour, unpretentious, doesn't do social media :thumbup:

Because he's a quiet, private individual who doesn't seek media attention, some people get the idea of a stereotypical miserable northerner who hates being down here. That's evidently not the case.

An important point about Mayor is his fitness. The interview made the point that he only missed one game, and that through suspension. Danny gets kicked more than most, but he turns up every week ready to play.

Melbourne Mark

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Mar 1, 2006
Melbourne
Very happy to see this news. Saw him a couple of times towards the start of his Argyle career and was impressed.

Shame he wasn't quite as productive in his second season in green.

Hope I might see him in action over the next 24 months...although it probably won't be until 22/23 season, who knows maybe it'll be in the Championship :scarf: :scarf:

COYG

Mar 23, 2008
Really like how unassuming he is, just wish Lowe would take off the shackles. Carey was afforded a No.10 role or playing in a front 3, whereas Mayor has to do so much donkey work. Would love to see him in a No.10 role with more freedom and less responsibility.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Deacster":176ey8nt said:
Really like how unassuming he is, just wish Lowe would take off the shackles. Carey was afforded a No.10 role or playing in a front 3, whereas Mayor has to do so much donkey work. Would love to see him in a No.10 role with more freedom and less responsibility.

Hear hear

Aug 5, 2016
Deacster":2yxbr3cw said:

Totally agree. Would be lovely to watch Mayor with no defensive duties, his primary assignment to wreak havoc, cause damage, score goals and create assists.

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
Knibbsworth":14wv3kk4 said:
Deacster":14wv3kk4 said:

Totally agree. Would be lovely to watch Mayor with no defensive duties, his primary assignment to wreak havoc, cause damage, score goals and create assists.

Is that possible playing 2 strikers though?

I've been banging on for a while that I would like to see us go 4-4-1-1 with DM in the hole.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
davie nine":139ehlnb said:
oldage":139ehlnb said:
ming the merciless":139ehlnb said:
I'm so chuffed about this. He's a football god in my opinion. He surely must be one of the most skillful players to ever wear the green shirt. It's a shame not everyone is able to see how valuable his contribution is. But I suppose its not supprising. Football attracts some pretty dim people. :nworthy: :scarf:
Talk about OTT.I can only assume you are relatively young to come up with such a ridiculous statement.One of the most
skillful players to ever wear a green shirt? And you are suggest ing others are dim :funny:
Does it ever occur to you to think that, maybe, you are wrong about Mayor?
I wonder what you will be saying, if next season, we recruit a more balanced midfield and Danny scores a few more goals and provides a few more direct assists like he did in his last season at Bury.
Still, you don’t rate RL either so I guess you would blame him for not realising that was needed.
By the way, this ‘vast majority’ that you mentioned were coming around to your opinion are keeping very quiet since he re-signed.
The posts from oldage and ming sum up the situation with Mayor and much of the fanbase, there is definitely a bit of a "Marmite" thing going on and for many of us, even after 2 seasons the Jury is still out but I'm sure we all hope that he can be used to greater effect next season.

There's no denying that DM is one of most skilful players we have had in the last 10 years or so.

On the other hand, if you look at it from a Moneyball perspective, the statistics clearly suggest that he is not that effective in terms of his overall contribution to the team. If you compare his stats with Carey - perhaps the most obvious comparison - it does not look that good for Mayor.

Carey - 4 seasons, 53 assists and 46 goals.

Mayor - 2 seasons, 11 assists and 3 goals.

Although not exactly the same type of player, their role as the play-maker in chief with regards to creativity and making things happen offensively is very similar.

Each player's Argyle career was evenly divided between Leagues 1 and 2, so the comparison is quite valid.

Mar 14, 2009
Surely we should be looking at a player with our eyes, then just using the stats to back up your thoughts about the player.

I was listening to a podcast. Two years ago if you looked at stats Mustafi stats for Arsenal the season were better than Liverpool’s Van Dijk. How crazy is that? I’m surely people have probably seen the difference in class between those two players. Yet data said Mustafi was better.

Data can be a great tool. Yet l hope it’s used alongside people who are actually watching these players too. If data is the main and only tool used we could be in for some interesting transactions.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
demportdave":37f0sm5q said:
davie nine":37f0sm5q said:
oldage":37f0sm5q said:
ming the merciless":37f0sm5q said:
Does it ever occur to you to think that, maybe, you are wrong about Mayor?
I wonder what you will be saying, if next season, we recruit a more balanced midfield and Danny scores a few more goals and provides a few more direct assists like he did in his last season at Bury.
Still, you don’t rate RL either so I guess you would blame him for not realising that was needed.
By the way, this ‘vast majority’ that you mentioned were coming around to your opinion are keeping very quiet since he re-signed.
The posts from oldage and ming sum up the situation with Mayor and much of the fanbase, there is definitely a bit of a "Marmite" thing going on and for many of us, even after 2 seasons the Jury is still out but I'm sure we all hope that he can be used to greater effect next season.

There's no denying that DM is one of most skilful players we have had in the last 10 years or so.

On the other hand, if you look at it from a Moneyball perspective, the statistics clearly suggest that he is not that effective in terms of his overall contribution to the team. If you compare his stats with Carey - perhaps the most obvious comparison - it does not look that good for Mayor.

Carey - 4 seasons, 53 assists and 46 goals.

Mayor - 2 seasons, 11 assists and 3 goals.

Although not exactly the same type of player, their role as the play-maker in chief with regards to creativity and making things happen offensively is very similar.

Each player's Argyle career was evenly divided between Leagues 1 and 2, so the comparison is quite valid.

You think a "Moneyball" approach to football only looks at goals and assists?