Defending Free Kicks in Addition to The Wall | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Defending Free Kicks in Addition to The Wall

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Surely if you put a defender on the line then attackers can then impede the goalkeeper's view by standing in front of him without being in offside positions.

Oct 5, 2013
The wall did nothing whatsoever, and that’s where the blame lies - although it was a well taken free kick.

Sep 6, 2006
doozer":247kofke said:
If you’ve watched enough football it was plain to see his positioning for the free kick was a good meter too far to his left...it just looked wrong ....having said that if Lowe s seen enough to give him a chance as no1 then we need to back him... he was always gonna make some mistakes early on

so you know more than Joe Hart do you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvWiOroJwJk
As he says the keeper needs to have an eye line on the ball and if the striker puts it up and over the wall not much you can do about it.
Perhaps you haven't watched enough football.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Too much analysis and theorising, Goals are scored from free kicks every week against top class experienced Keepers, never mind youngsters learning their trade.

He may only be a League 1 player but I don’t think Beckham in his pomp could have hit that free kick better than Pigott did. Cooper could have been stood behind the wall and still might not have saved it because it was so well placed and also hit with a bit of pace and whip. Pigott was absolutely delighted when it went in because he had probably been practising it all week on the training ground.

The basic rule of thumb has always been for the Keeper to cover one side and the wall the other. I saw the first Port Vale goal against Exeter on Saturday. The ball was several yards further out and the Exeter keeper was also to one side; he never got anywhere near it either.

Sometimes, you have to give the goalscorer some credit as we did when Carey scored a screamer from 25 yards against Portsmouth a couple of seasons back. Good players can do that and I am expecting George Cooper to chip in with 2 or 3 goals from free kicks around the box.

The real concern should be Argyle’s shambolic Mickey Mouse defending.

I’m sure Lowe and Co. are working hard to address it and they have to because we are not going to score 4 every week.

Aug 27, 2019
I have no criticism of our keeper - I remember being told I made a mistake once, when I was younger......forget what it was now!

Am interested in the idea of putting the keeper in front of the wall at 10 yards & the wall behind him - assuming wall is in the box - with 2 (or more) payers on the line. Would certainly be different & would make for some fun....
Why not?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
There’s no question that it was a well taken free kick. There’s also no question that Cooper encouraged him to go for it by positioning himself too far over to his left. If he got it over the wall he couldn’t fail to score. Rhys Wilmot will have pointed this out to him on Monday morning I’m sure.

May 8, 2011
demportdave":ffuiume7 said:
Too much analysis and theorising, Goals are scored from free kicks every week against top class experienced Keepers, never mind youngsters learning their trade.

He may only be a League 1 player but I don’t think Beckham in his pomp could have hit that free kick better than Pigott did. Cooper could have been stood behind the wall and still might not have saved it because it was so well placed and also hit with a bit of pace and whip. Pigott was absolutely delighted when it went in because he had probably been practising it all week on the training ground.

The basic rule of thumb has always been for the Keeper to cover one side and the wall the other. I saw the first Port Vale goal against Exeter on Saturday. The ball was several yards further out and the Exeter keeper was also to one side; he never got anywhere near it either.

Sometimes, you have to give the goalscorer some credit as we did when Carey scored a screamer from 25 yards against Portsmouth a couple of seasons back. Good players can do that and I am expecting George Cooper to chip in with 2 or 3 goals from free kicks around the box.

The real concern should be Argyle’s shambolic Mickey Mouse defending.

I’m sure Lowe and Co. are working hard to address it and they have to because we are not going to score 4 every week.

Not on Monday as Home Park looked particularly deserted apart from the NHS section.

Sep 6, 2006
Devongreenowl":aw954g3o said:
There’s no question that it was a well taken free kick. There’s also no question that Cooper encouraged him to go for it by positioning himself too far over to his left. If he got it over the wall he couldn’t fail to score. Rhys Wilmot will have pointed this out to him on Monday morning I’m sure.

So if he got it over the wall he would score would he? :funny: .
Actually he needs to get it to dip very quickly. Its quite a difficult skill. The likes of Ronaldo make it look easy. What Cooper could have done of course was stand behind the wall and not be able to see the ball until the last second. The so called goalkeeping 'experts' don't seem to have considered that.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Balham_Green":3mtg9z8k said:
Devongreenowl":3mtg9z8k said:

Actually he needs to get it to dip very quickly. Its quite a difficult skill. The likes of Ronaldo make it look easy. What Cooper could have done of course was stand behind the wall and not be able to see the ball until the last second. The so called goalkeeping 'experts' don't seem to have considered that.

Or he could have had one less player in the wall so that his view wasn’t blocked if he moved to his right 2/3 feet and made the target smaller.

Again, I’m not sure why all of a sudden you need to be an ‘expert’ to give an opinion on this. What exactly are you an ‘expert’ in for all of the opinions you’ve given on here over the years?

Sep 6, 2006
Daz":3gmm17zj said:
Balham_Green":3gmm17zj said:
Devongreenowl":3gmm17zj said:

Or he could have had one less player in the wall so that his view wasn’t blocked if he moved to his right 2/3 feet and made the target smaller.

Again, I’m not sure why all of a sudden you need to be an ‘expert’ to give an opinion on this. What exactly are you an ‘expert’ in for all of the opinions you’ve given on here over the years?

I was referring to to the video by Joe Hart above. Ex England keeper not enough of an expert for you?
I try to avoid criticising the individual technique of players who have reached a level we could only dream about. So what are your goalkeeping credentials? Great idea to take a player out of the wall. :facepalm: Why not take them all out?

Mar 24, 2019
Balham_Green":2ly407j3 said:
doozer":2ly407j3 said:
If you’ve watched enough football it was plain to see his positioning for the free kick was a good meter too far to his left...it just looked wrong ....having said that if Lowe s seen enough to give him a chance as no1 then we need to back him... he was always gonna make some mistakes early on

so you know more than Joe Hart do you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvWiOroJwJk
As he says the keeper needs to have an eye line on the ball and if the striker puts it up and over the wall not much you can do about it.i
Perhaps you haven't watched enough football.
If the wall is set up right and the keeper is in the right position , then the only place the attacker should be able to score is close to either post...watch the free kick again, it ends up a good 2 meters inside the post...I guarantee the gk coach will talk to him about his positioning

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I am sure that Mike Cooper is a very conscientious lad and HE will be asking his coach what he did wrong, if anything.

HE will also have wanted to know whether Rhys Willmott thinks that he could have done better with regard to the other 6 goals that he conceded in the last 2 games.

It seems unfair that, in 2 games littered with defensive errors, everyone wants to discuss the goalkeeping.

In my opinion, that was the least of our problems.

Dec 30, 2011
I am not criticizing Cooper because he's a promising young player and great shot stopper.

Defences benefit enormously from a keeper who comes out and takes balls in the air and who is also very vocal in organising the defenders in front of him, which you cant expect from someone so young.