Defending Free Kicks in Addition to The Wall | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Defending Free Kicks in Addition to The Wall

Apr 1, 2009
greensalt":14p9peko said:
I am not criticizing Cooper because he's a promising young player and great shot stopper.

Defences benefit enormously from a keeper who comes out and takes balls in the air and who is also very vocal in organising the defenders in front of him, which you cant expect from someone so young.

Many of those pro-Cooper pre-season (myself included) argued that if you're good enough, you're old enough. Surely the relevant question is would you expect an Argyle first team goalkeeper to be able to organise, and to come and take balls in the air? I want Lowe to stick with Cooper, but he's got to learn quickly - it's not acceptable, over a longer period, to say that it's ok for our first choice keeper to lack these skills because he is young.

On a different tangent, I wish people hadn't banged on about how Cooper will earn us x million in the future, or that he will play in the Prem. Purely speculative claptrap that does nothing but increase expectations unnecessarily, and heaps more pressure on.

Oct 5, 2013
greensalt":19difkyq said:
I am not criticizing Cooper because he's a promising young player and great shot stopper.

Defences benefit enormously from a keeper who comes out and takes balls in the air and who is also very vocal in organising the defenders in front of him, which you cant expect from someone so young.

The weak point in your argument is that Cooper DOES come out and take balls in the air, and IS very vocal in organising the defenders.

Sep 6, 2006
philevs":258zn3p3 said:
greensalt":258zn3p3 said:

The weak point in your argument is that Cooper DOES come out and take balls in the air, and IS very vocal in organising the defenders.

Can't say I've noticed.

Oct 5, 2013
Balham_Green":gda6dadk said:
philevs":gda6dadk said:
greensalt":gda6dadk said:

Can't say I've noticed.

Is this possibly because youā€™ve not seen him play in person from a position where you could arrive at a truly informed view about it?
I have over the last few seasons, at venues where you can get really close to the pitch and walk all the way round it, and really see at close quarters exactly whatā€™s going on without being limited by a camera that just follows the ball, and where you can hear pretty much everything the players are shouting to each other.

Sep 6, 2006
philevs":y62jgf1g said:
Balham_Green":y62jgf1g said:
philevs":y62jgf1g said:
greensalt":y62jgf1g said:

Can't say I've noticed.

Is this possibly because youā€™ve not seen him play in person from a position where you could arrive at a truly informed view about it?
I have over the last few seasons, at venues where you can get really close to the pitch and walk all the way round it, and really see at close quarters exactly whatā€™s going on without being limited by a camera that just follows the ball, and where you can hear pretty much everything the players are shouting to each other.

Yep am not aware of his vocality. There's a difference between bossing around a few kids and senior pros though. The camera does show him rarely coming off his line. That won't change whatever angle you are at.

Oct 5, 2013
Balham_Green":2haq8tst said:
philevs":2haq8tst said:
Balham_Green":2haq8tst said:
philevs":2haq8tst said:
greensalt":2haq8tst said:

Can't say I've noticed.

Yep am not aware of his vocality. There's a difference between bossing around a few kids and senior pros though. The camera does show him rarely coming off his line. That won't change whatever angle you are at.

On your second point: youā€™d need to have a camera on him for the whole 90 minutes to form a judgment on that, surely? Have you done that?
On your first point: how do you know that ā€œthereā€™s a difference between bossing around a few kids and senior prosā€ - have you been involved in the game professionally yourself?
If not, then do you think that possibly youā€™re not actually in a position to make such a call?

Sep 6, 2006
philevs":1fp092wj said:
Balham_Green":1fp092wj said:
Balham_Green":1fp092wj said:
greensalt":1fp092wj said:

Can't say I've noticed.

On your second point: youā€™d need to have a camera on him for the whole 90 minutes to form a judgment on that, surely? Have you done that?
On your first point: how do you know that ā€œthereā€™s a difference between bossing around a few kids and senior prosā€ - have you been involved in the game professionally yourself?
If not, then do you think that possibly youā€™re not actually in a position to make such a call?

What a load of nonsense! So you are saying that unless one has been a professional you cannot make the completely obvious premise regarding human nature that its very different organising young kids and having the confidence to take control of more experienced pros in front of you?!
And you can't judge if a goal keeper is coming off his line unless you watch him for 90 minutes???! i don't need to watch him when the ball is nowhere near him!

Oct 5, 2013
Balham Green, I notice that you chose not to reply to my questions, you simply resorted to calling what I had said ā€œa load of nonsenseā€!
I accept what you say as your opinion, but only as that. I have a different opinion based on what Iā€™ve seen. Isnā€™t that how life is?!

Sep 6, 2006
philevs":2dsww1ty said:
Balham Green, I notice that you chose not to reply to my questions, you simply resorted to calling what I had said ā€œa load of nonsenseā€!
I accept what you say as your opinion, but only as that. I have a different opinion based on what Iā€™ve seen. Isnā€™t that how life is?!

I admit I cant reply to your point about needing to watch a keeper for 90 minutes to see if he comes for crosses! Perhaps you can explain.

Apr 29, 2016
I tend to agree that he was a shade too far to his left and gave too much leeway to the striker. However the principal tends to be that the goalie primarily has to cover his side of the goal and if the freekick taker is good enough to get it up and down quickly enough, in the more difficult side of the goal, over a jumping wall, perhaps you have to accept that you will concede.

Oct 5, 2013
Balham_Green":2rubvpi6 said:
philevs":2rubvpi6 said:

I admit I cant reply to your point about needing to watch a keeper for 90 minutes to see if he comes for crosses! Perhaps you can explain.

Well in my opinion itā€™s only by doing so that one would be able to come to a fair and balanced view, rather than by just highlighting the occasional incident of what youā€™re saying.
Obviously there are some crosses which itā€™s right to come out for, and some which itā€™s right not to come out for - especially with the curl that players nowadays are able to put on crosses.