EFL Team of the Week - Mike Cooper | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

EFL Team of the Week - Mike Cooper

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003
Keith_Whitfield":vrk28nb6 said:
Just wondering whether the supporters of any other club would be so keen to criticise one of their own players who did the primary thing he is expected to do - keep a clean sheet. This onslaught on "one of our own" reminds me of Brian Clough calling the Polish goalie Tomaszewski a clown - and we all know what happened next.

To be honest, it doesn't matter a jot what people on here think about Coops. I'm just pleased that he is Argyle's number one and is likely to be so for some time to come. That lad has talent and what's more an incredibly strong mental mindset - and that is very important for a goalie. He'll learn from Evans' attempt to de-stabilise him and will come back all the stronger for the experience. Ryan Lowe knows that - and that is all that matters when push comes to shove.

Keith, Iā€™m not keen to criticise him. However, you can not claim that he had a good game on Saturday and if you do I worry for what your expectations of a keeper are. He had a clean sheet because their strikers cleared the ball of our line with some lovely defending after he failed to take the ball and missed some sitters.

I have no doubt he will be a superb keeper and will play many games for us and possibly go higher, however I have said for weeks that I think we should give Luke the jersey for a while and see if he can try and organise our woeful defence. The worrying display on Saturday solidified that for me.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Daz":tjzo365p said:
dazzy3000":tjzo365p said:
Lobster":tjzo365p said:
I think this may be powered by WhoScored. I have their app and noticed that Cooper was Man of the Match (he had the highest ratings calculated based on statistics). Like someone said, clean sheet, four saves, and also decent passing accuracy for a keeper. Any of us that watched it will know that it's nonsense.

Guessing you watched all the other league one games from yesterday too in order to come to the conclusion that itā€™s ā€˜nonsenseā€™?

You didnā€™t have to watch any other game to see that our keeper had a shocking game. Flapping all over the shop and was very lucky to have a clean sheet.

Stats do lie.

Stats donā€™t lie. Anyone with a brain cell knows how to interpret them.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Funnily enough MC also appears in The Times Football stats today indicating that he has made 62 top saves and lies second in that Division behind Wigan's keeper, but 7 more than A Palmer at Lincoln. I am sure there will be discussion as to whether Palmer is playing behind a stronger defence?

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003
Ok folks, you guys are correct. Cooper definitely put in the best keeper performance on Saturday in league 1. :thumbup:

Oct 5, 2013
Keith_Whitfield":15ll7068 said:
Just wondering whether the supporters of any other club would be so keen to criticise one of their own players who did the primary thing he is expected to do - keep a clean sheet. This onslaught on "one of our own" reminds me of Brian Clough calling the Polish goalie Tomaszewski a clown - and we all know what happened next.

To be honest, it doesn't matter a jot what people on here think about Coops. I'm just pleased that he is Argyle's number one and is likely to be so for some time to come. That lad has talent and what's more an incredibly strong mental mindset - and that is very important for a goalie. He'll learn from Evans' attempt to de-stabilise him and will come back all the stronger for the experience. Ryan Lowe knows that - and that is all that matters when push comes to shove.

Well said, please post more!

Oct 5, 2013
Daz":11xlsa8h said:
Keith_Whitfield":11xlsa8h said:

Keith, Iā€™m not keen to criticise him. However, you can not claim that he had a good game on Saturday and if you do I worry for what your expectations of a keeper are. He had a clean sheet because their strikers cleared the ball of our line with some lovely defending after he failed to take the ball and missed some sitters.

I have no doubt he will be a superb keeper and will play many games for us and possibly go higher, however I have said for weeks that I think we should give Luke the jersey for a while and see if he can try and organise our woeful defence. The worrying display on Saturday solidified that for me.

Also well said!

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Quintrell_Green":13feyl9a said:
Funnily enough MC also appears in The Times Football stats today indicating that he has made 62 top saves and lies second in that Division behind Wigan's keeper, but 7 more than A Palmer at Lincoln. I am sure there will be discussion as to whether Palmer is playing behind a stronger defence?

Shots saved can be a misleading metric. Only Wigan and Burton have faced more shots against this season. More shots = more saves (in theory), and in turn, more chance of mistakes. In terms of save % he ranks 21st in the league for goalkeepers. Argyle are 19th for clean sheets, 22nd for shots on target faced, 22nd for goals against per 90. Bad numbers.

One conclusion you absolutely can draw, is that Mike Cooper has been very busy this season.

Sep 2, 2008
Nobby":38qav0r6 said:
Quintrell_Green":38qav0r6 said:

Shots saved can be a misleading metric. Only Wigan and Burton have faced more shots against this season. More shots = more saves (in theory), and in turn, more chance of mistakes. In terms of save % he ranks 21st in the league for goalkeepers. Argyle are 19th for clean sheets, 22nd for shots on target faced, 22nd for goals against per 90. Bad numbers.

One conclusion you absolutely can draw, is that Mike Cooper has been very busy this season.

...and probably has a bad back :D

Sep 2, 2008
Tbf, stats don't lie. You cannot dispute the fact that x amount of shots were made, x amount were on target etc, etc. The problem with stats is that they don't give you any context whatsoever and that is one reason why I am not a fan of them when it comes to using them as a recruitment tool. I imagine the context may well be provided by people that work in this field and it obviously works for the major teams in football that are better located geographically for the players and their families but I'm not a believer that it is something that works for us. I think the money we spend on getting all the data collated, interpreted etc could be spent better elsewhere.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Daz":1pjq86ew said:
Ok folks, you guys are correct. Cooper definitely put in the best keeper performance on Saturday in league 1. :thumbup:
Did anyone say that?
I think we all agree that Saturday was probably his worst performance as the first team keeper.
I still find the statistics shown from The Times very interesting and more appropriate evidence of his overall performances this season.
If pointed out to him, it may also be a confidence booster for him.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003
Pottypilgrim":1z573gp8 said:
Tbf, stats don't lie. You cannot dispute the fact that x amount of shots were made, x amount were on target etc, etc. The problem with stats is that they don't give you any context whatsoever and that is one reason why I am not a fan of them when it comes to using them as a recruitment tool. I imagine the context may well be provided by people that work in this field and it obviously works for the major teams in football that are better located geographically for the players and their families but I'm not a believer that it is something that works for us. I think the money we spend on getting all the data collated, interpreted etc could be spent better elsewhere.

:thumbup:

There are some very literal people on here aren't there. Of course stats don't lie, they can't speak. Duhh.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Daz":1lu4nifx said:

He might have had a poor game, but the others may have all had stinkers.