F1 2024 | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

F1 2024

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
It's not a great name, and I know people have been whinging about the team selling out to corporate sponsorship/ownership, but it's hardly a new phenomenon in Formula 1: Benetton Formula Ltd, anyone?

Absolutely. But at least Benetton was a snappy name with a cool colour scheme (until it got a bit messy in the mid-90s anyway).

I suppose as European football fans, we're always going to be allergic to the idea of taking an established, much loved team like Minardi, or Austria Salzburg for that matter, wiping out their identity and history, and replacing it with something meaningless that gets discarded every few years.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Absolutely. But at least Benetton was a snappy name with a cool colour scheme (until it got a bit messy in the mid-90s anyway).

I suppose as European football fans, we're always going to be allergic to the idea of taking an established, much loved team like Minardi, or Austria Salzburg for that matter, wiping out their identity and history, and replacing it with something meaningless that gets discarded every few years.
Agree. It would be ok if the team were branded Visa Racing, but not this.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
F1 have rejected Andretti's application to join the grid next year or in 26 for the following reasons....

14. Our assessment process has established that the presence of an 11th team would not, on its own, provide value to the Championship. The most significant way in which a new entrant would bring value is by being competitive. We do not believe that the Applicant would be a competitive participant.

15. The need for any new team to take a compulsory power unit supply, potentially over a period of several seasons, would be damaging to the prestige and standing of the Championship.

16. While the Andretti name carries some recognition for F1 fans, our research indicates that F1 would bring value to the Andretti brand rather than the other way around.

17. The addition of an 11th team would place an operational burden on race promoters, would subject some of them to significant costs, and would reduce the technical, operational and commercial spaces of the other competitors.

18. We were not able to identify any material expected positive effect on CRH financial results, as a key indicator of the pure commercial value of the Championship.

Pretty damming. They were never going to let them in but to claim that the Andretti name only carries some recognition is laughable. Also, how can they claim that they wouldn't have been competitive? They've shown more commitment to that without joining than Haas have in 8 years on the grid!!

F1 have said that they are open to Andretti trying again with a view to joining in 2028 when they should have a GM engine ready to go by which point the teams will have upped the entry fee from £200m to £600m.

• Angry
Reactions: Quinny
Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
They were never going to allow Andretti in to the Old Boys Club. Each one of those "reasons" can easily be counter-argued.
It can, it'll be interesting what Andretti do now. Yesterday there was talk of Otmar Szafnauer joining them, they've already got a 2024 spec car in a wind tunnel testing for next year too. I'd love for them to appeal this and force their way on to the grid but they might decide to take the long term approach and ensure they join in 2028.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
Sounds like Hamilton set to switch to Ferrari in 2025
Thats brave. Not only putting his faith in Ferrari but expecting to rock up and beat Leclerc in a team he's been in for 6 years.

Huge slap in the face for Mercedes too. Where does Sainz end up? Who do Mercedes bring in to replace Lewis? I wonder if Lando regrets that new Mclaren contract.....

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Thats brave. Not only putting his faith in Ferrari but expecting to rock up and beat Leclerc in a team he's been in for 6 years.

Huge slap in the face for Mercedes too. Where does Sainz end up? Who do Mercedes bring in to replace Lewis? I wonder if Lando regrets that new Mclaren contract.....

The obvious shout would be for Mercedes to bring Sainz in wouldn't it? Surely the best available driver on the market - I can't remember how long Piastri's contract is for but I imagine it's beyond the end of this season.

It'll be an interesting year for the driver market won't it. I wonder who will end up in Pérez's seat for 2025 if Sergio has another underwhelming year - it's a tough one to go into because you're only ever going to be number 2. What's Eddie Irvine up to these days?

Reactions: The Pilgrim
Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
The obvious shout would be for Mercedes to bring Sainz in wouldn't it? Surely the best available driver on the market - I can't remember how long Piastri's contract is for but I imagine it's beyond the end of this season.
I think Piastri is the end of next year if not 26. Sainz is the obvious shout but they have links to Ocon (not that I rate him) if they think Russell is capable of leading the team, if neither of those, what about Albon?

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
I think Piastri is the end of next year if not 26. Sainz is the obvious shout but they have links to Ocon (not that I rate him) if they think Russell is capable of leading the team, if neither of those, what about Albon?

Albon crossed my mind too. He's done a fine job of restoring his reputation after his Red Bull stint, albeit alongside mediocre pay-drivers - I'd love to see him at Mercedes.

It seems inconceivable that Sainz will be without a drive next year, but would he really want to be Max's number 2 at Red Bull? Is it possible that Fernando Alonso might call it a day next year given his advancing years if the Aston Martin isn't at least a podium challenger next season...?

Interesting times, after a totally static transfer market this winter.

I agree with you about Ocon I think - there were a few who thought he was the next Verstappen before he came into F1 weren't there?

Reactions: The Pilgrim